• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Disc goes to 100% busy for extended periods.


Mosaix

New Member
Posts
3
#1
First, apologies if this is the wrong place to post or if this has been discussed before.

I'm running 8.1 on a laptop with 8gb memory. I have a 120gb SSD as c: and a 1tb disc as d:

About a week ago there were some windows updates installed. Shortly after my d: started going 100% busy for extended periods (up to half an hour) as shown on task manager and the system slows considerably. Strangely, during this period task manager also shows zero read speed and zero write speed, as if there is no actual activity.

This happens (but isn't limited to) after reboots. I've tried stopping various processes (virus checker, dropbox etc) but this makes no difference. My c: SSD operates perfectly.

Thanks in anticipation.
 

My Computer

System One

  • OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    PCSpecialists

Mosaix

New Member
Posts
3
#2
An update.


I've been looking around forums (including this one) and came across the suggestion of disabling the Sensor Monitoring Service (SensrSvc). I tried this this morning (use msconfig and reboot) and so far there has been no repetition of the problem.


Fingers crossed.

Update: False hopes. It started again about 30 minutes ago. :(
 
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

  • OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    PCSpecialists

JHough

New Member
Member
Pittsburgh

Posts
103
#3
Have you tried using performance monitor to pinpoint the applications using the disk?
 

My Computer

System One

  • OS
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55Dt-A5106
    CPU
    Processor AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 2 Ghz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Motherboard
    Toshiba PSCFWU-02C031
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8400
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop and DELL E193FP
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba MQ01ABD075
    DVD Writer TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208FB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave 2.4 Cordless or Laptop Standard PS/2 Keyboard Enhanced
    Mouse
    Logitech M1100 Performance Laser Cordless Combo or Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    Upload/Download 91/11Mbps
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton
    Other Info
    Toshiba System Settings V1.1.2.32001
    BIOS Version Inside Corp., 1.60, 11/15/2013
    EC (Embedded Controller) Version 1.20
    Hardware Abstraction Layer 6.3.9600.16500

Mosaix

New Member
Posts
3
#4
Thanks for your suggestion. Performance monitor shows the system about 97% idle whilst the disc is busy. Many, many other processes are utilising the other 3%. Note that this is whilst there are no applications loaded. I've stopped everything I can think that could be using the disc.

I've not had the system long and there's practically nothing on this disk so I suspect that it must either be the operating system or a faulty driver, especially as the problem only started after a windows update.
 

My Computer

System One

  • OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    PCSpecialists

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)