Solved Disabling window previews, & getting white title bar text.

OCDAboutWindows

I'm using 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to disable the preview when hovering over a window on the taskbar, however if I click on the minimised window and pull up with the mouse, the following happens. I'm using the "white title bar text" trick which involves installing UxStyles which is what causes this, and unless there's another way to get white title bar text, then all I can think to do is prevent this glitch from showing up at all.

https://i.imgur.com/dyYyKlh.jpg

The obvious "solution" is to just not click it and drag the mouse up, but that's not the point. I dislike the fact that this is able to show up at all, despite using 7+TT to disable them in general.

Thanks for any replies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Windows 8 disabled the facility to change colours that Windows 7 has. To change colours in Windows 8 you need to use the registry editor. If you are confident user the Registry Editor the "Title Text" can be changed from Black to White there. Be warned to be very careful when editing the registry. Changes are done in real time and any mistakes cannot be undone except by remembering what was there before you changed it and manually typing it back in again. If you are sure then do the following: -
1. Open Registry Editor in Administrator mode.
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors.
3. In the right hand panel you will see all the color settings.
4. Right click on "Title Text" and select "Modify" from the drop-down menu.
5. In the box that pops up change the "Value data" from 0 0 0 to 255 255 255 (Note the spaces in-between the numbers) and click OK.
6. Close the registry editor and restart windows. The text should now be white.

For a full list of Windows colours see 500+ Named Colours with rgb and hex values

Hope it is what you were after.

Attachments

• Control Panel Colour control.png
    Control Panel Colour control.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 73

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
wiganken, thanks for the reply. I tried what you said, and while the registry entry saved the new value of 255 255 255 (meaning it didn't reset to 0 0 0 upon rebooting), it didn't actually change the colour on the title bar text. Any idea why? Or are there other methods that might work? It makes no sense why this wouldn't do anything. I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro x64, by the way; forgot to mention that in the OP, not sure if it matters.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I expected it to work. I'm out of ideas. Sorry about that but, in case the change altered something else, you might want to revert the numbers back to 0 0 0.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
There's no reason it shouldn't have worked. In fact, in Windows 10, I'm pretty sure that exact trick does work. 8.1 is just stubborn.

The only other real solution I can think of is being able to disable the tooltip thing from showing at all. As I mentioned in the OP, when you click a taskbar item and drag it up above the taskbar, the tooltip thing shows, even if you have them turned off otherwise. Is there a registry trick that could stop this from happening?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Unfortunately, this also doesn't disable the thing I described about clicking the item and dragging it up. I really appreciate the help though. Looks like this is something I'll just have to deal with.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I just wanted to give an update to this thread as I've actually found a solution (after many years).

Turns out it was right under our noses the entire time.

You need to use the UxStyles hack, but you can actually disable the jumplist from showing up entirely using the advanced settings in 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. To anyone else who is having this issue, simply right click the icon for it on the taskbar, hit advanced options, then set the value of drag_towards_desktop to 1 (it's 0 by default).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back