Destroyed Hard Disk

rebuildneeded

past few days, due to blue screens of win10 of my laptop and its been looping in repairs and reboots (could still boot into safe mode though, and reinstall did not help), i tried to fix by factory reset with the generated usb bootable recovery flash drive

but becoz of a stuck in the middle and overlooked the procedures, i had accidentally done with CLEANs and CONVERTED TO PGT for all the two existing disk partitions.

and then it could not boot anything at all, and only showed PXE-E61 error, as well as no boot device found.

So what reliable and safe softwares might i use on usb flash drive to boot up the system so that I may format the hard disk?

but as it could not boot up the factory usb bootable flash drive, i am not sure if, due to the current status of hard disk (not only no boot found but also not recognized?), the system had already lost some fundamental drivers to read from different pheripherals

Please help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
    Computer type
    Laptop
I would suggest to send your hard disk locally to any specialized service for restoring lost data. Not that the tools such as Recuva or EaseUS Data recovery do not work but it is better to let the job to any technicians. Just saying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky
If a fresh installation of your operating system did not help you have bigger problems. If factory reset fails you should contact your laptop manufacturer if it is still under warranty. You may be able to recover your data with recovery software on another PC, but that is a gamble and you need to know what you're doing. Since you asked I recommend R Drive Image. For more intensive work I recommend MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro Ultimate. But to be honest it looks as though you are having a serious hardware issue and I am not sure you will be able to install an operating system on your laptop. You could test this by inserting a functional formatted drive into your laptop and running Linux from a USB stick to see if it installs. I suggested Linux because it is free for personal use and relatively easy to install. If Linux installs try a fresh from scratch installation of Windows 10 with the laptop offline. You can get online later to get your updates and verify your license. I hope this helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Linux Mint and more
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    X99 E-WS USB 3.1, CROSSHAIR HERO VIII
    Memory
    128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR, 32 GB TEAM GROUP T FORCE
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 1070, SAPPHIRE RX 590 NITRO+
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    :::GRINS::: SERIOUSLY?
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
At this point, four months later, it would be good to hear what the OP decided to do. ???

If possible, I would have pulled that HD out of the laptop and slaved it to my main Desktop PC, where I could access it and hopefully copy off any data files, then try to reformat it and install Windows afresh.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
Indeed. Perhaps I should have suggested looking up a YouTube video on booting the same model of PC from BIOS with a recovery drive. I suppose this one will remain a mystery.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Linux Mint and more
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    X99 E-WS USB 3.1, CROSSHAIR HERO VIII
    Memory
    128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR, 32 GB TEAM GROUP T FORCE
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 1070, SAPPHIRE RX 590 NITRO+
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    :::GRINS::: SERIOUSLY?
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
Hey there,

Given the state you've described, especially after the CLEAN command and the conversion to GPT, and now facing the PXE-E61 error, it's clear your laptop is having trouble finding a bootable device. This suggests the boot sequence might be trying to network boot (which is what PXE-E61 implies) because it can't find your hard drive or any bootable media.

Before we dive into software recommendations, let's address the boot device issue. Since your laptop couldn't boot from the factory USB flash drive, we need to ensure your BIOS settings are correct. Here’s a step you can try:

Access BIOS/UEFI Settings: Restart your laptop and enter the BIOS/UEFI settings (usually by pressing F2, F10, Del, or Esc right after you start the laptop, but it varies by manufacturer).
Check Boot Order: Look for the boot order settings and make sure USB devices are listed as the first boot option. This ensures your laptop tries to boot from a USB drive before attempting other options like network boot.
Disable PXE Boot: If there’s an option for network boot (PXE Boot), you might want to disable it to avoid the PXE-E61 error, focusing the boot process on local devices.
For creating a bootable USB drive that can help you format the hard drive, you could use:

Rufus: It’s a free, reliable tool that can create bootable USB drives from ISO files. You can use it to create a bootable USB of a Windows installation or a Linux distro that can help you manage partitions, like Ubuntu or Fedora.
GParted Live: This is a Linux distribution specifically designed for partitioning hard drives. You can create a bootable USB with GParted Live, boot into it, and then format or manage your hard disk partitions.

Absolutely, taking a cautious approach is wise, especially when your hard drive contains important data. Before you proceed with formatting, which will wipe everything on the disk, it might be a good idea to explore data recovery options to salvage what you can. I've had a situation where I thought all was lost, but I managed to recover significant amounts of data with the help of Salvagedata. They specialize in these kinds of tricky scenarios. It’s just a suggestion based on my experience.

It's also possible that the hard disk not being recognized is a hardware issue, especially if the factory reset USB isn't working and the disk was not found. If adjusting the BIOS settings and trying different bootable USBs don’t work, it might be worth checking the hard drive connections or consulting with a professional.

I hope this helps you get started on solving the issue. Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win11
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back