Dell OEM 8/8.1 Auto activate on machine without bios key?

radzer0

So we have a PC in my shop right now that dell replaced the motherboard in sept 2013. Apparently at that point I see alot online about them not giving paper keys when they did the repairs. In this case the customer is fed up with the BS of Dell support as they want to charge him for a warranty to help. The PC lost all power, lights, etc and had the motherboard replaced but dell says all they did was replace the modem card. Machine has no modem as its a ultrabook. But anyways, heres the question. They keep telling him if he purchases a Dell Windows 8 recovery disk that the machine will activate again. Is this true or just them trying to milk him out of $60? I didnt know if they were similar to the windows 7 disks with "slic"? I dont remember the term right now. I thought they would pull the bios key the same as a OEM windows 8 disk would.

They have been using the computer all this time with it complaining that it wasnt genuine and just closing that out but the computer got murdered with a really bad virus now and the recovery cant verify the edition of windows or something to that nature.

Tried loading with the OEM generic key and using the key tool to pull the MSDM key off the board and once I did that it was when I realized the board was replaced and thats when the customer remembered this also.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can suggest here. Dell actually offered to remote in and activate the version that I couldnt activate and they believe it or not used that KMS tool thing that only activate for a couple months. Ive used it before to test some stuff and I know the sounds it plays when it runs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64bit
Did Dell return it to the customer with 8 installed, but no way to activate?

That is very weird.

Alternatively, was it fine when he got it back from Dell, and something has gone wrong since?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Dell came out and replaced the motherboard on site without reloading the PC. I dont know if windows 8 checks every boot for a code in the bios, periodicly, or maybe the not genuine and couldnt activate issue came along when it updated to 8.1. Couldnt tell you that one for sure. I see so many people who there machines come up not genuine for one reason or another and they just close that window. Even in the simple case of windows 7 with just typing the key off the bottom of the laptop in.
*edit*
Its even moreso the fact that dell is lying and saying they never replaced the motherboard and saying they did a modem when the PC is a Dell Inspiron 5523 ultrabook. They know they messed up and there trying to find a way to get everybody to stop bugging them. Yesterday we had them on the phone and went thru 6 techs than they forwarded us again and than a message came up saying that all technicians were in a meeting to call back later. Calling back and pressing the button for tech support put us right back on the phone with someone. So its some kinda recorded message they push you off too.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64bit
Del uses an embedded product key.. If they replaced the motherboard - the key would have to be reflashed into the bios..

If you use the create media tool, in my sig below, and you select the right version of windows 8/8.1

if the setup software does not find an embedded product key - it will ask you for one..

Another way to tell is either the :Dell detect tool: or go into the bios and look for the service tag...

you can try "magic jellybean keyfinder" or this attachment, both will read the bios key..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
There is no bios key in the motherboard. I load many many laptops and maybe 5 or so have had this issue. All dell and toshiba but all have been in for warranty work for a no power issue (motherboard). I use Pkeyui and its never not worked except when the motherboard has no key stored. I also have that whole sheet of generic keys to load 8.1 on 8 machines, thats when I use pkeyui to pull the code and activate windows. The fact of it is there is no key in the motherboard. Alot of people in the dell support forums also complain about this one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64bit
Pkeyui is old latest version is 1.4.9z also MSDM key option is disabled if there is no MSDM table in firmware.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I know. That's why I was saying there's no key in the bios to begin with. Also why I was asking if the dell reinstall disk will activate the machine as there support dept is trying to say.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64bit
Seems to me if there is no key in the chip and all you have is generic restore media, not going to be able to activate with no valid key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
Yes I figured they were just full of it saying there restore disk would activate. Woot, machine was licensed u till dell replaced the motherboard. Microsoft really needs to start enforcing that they inject warranty replacements with a license. Toshiba is also known for doing this. I've seen hp selling replacement boards for out of warranty repair without being injected but I haven't heard of a warranty repair where they didn't.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64bit
Back