Dell laptop stuck on windows welcome screen

tech9

Ran in to another issue with my Dell Inspiron 15. The computer froze on me and after a few minutes of no response I held down the power button and forced it to power down. When I restarted I couldn't get it past the windows welcome screen

Computer will boot to the screen that allows me to choose which windows user to log in with. I have my normal user profile that I use (admin) and a guest account. When I choose my normal account and enter my password it will stay on the screen as if it is preparing to log on to windows but never does. (I’ve kept it like that for over 4 hours, no result)

I can however get in to the guest account but for some reason there is no internet connection available and if I attempt to do admin user controls it freezes up after entering the admin password. I’m really confused here. This is what I’ve attempted so far

Doing the “shift & restart” option and choosing Automatic repair. After attempting Automatic Repair I got this error:

D:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt

I went back and tried to do a system restore. After attempting system restore, I got this:

-
System restore filed while scanning the file system on the drive D:\ The drive might be corrupt. Try system restore after running chkdsk /R on this disk

An unspecified error occurred during system restore (0x81000204)

Rebooted once again to the command prompt, entered my admin password and typed the chkdsk /R command on the D drive. I get this message:

- The type of file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

- I chose yes and after 2 hours I got this message after the scan was finished:

- Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

This is where I'm stuck at now. Any suggestions would be appreciated as always

All the best

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521