Delete Windows 7 Sound Schemes

NotSoTechSavvy

Hello,

I just, recently, upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro. And unfortunately, I can’t delete the sound schemes that came installed with Windows 7; the ‘Delete‘ button is grayed out from when I enter the Personalization Settings.

All drivers work and are up-to-date. Plus, each theme’s folder (Afternoon, Characters, etc.) is empty within the Media folder.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks, in advance, for helping me with this issue!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Antivirus
    Malwarebytes & Windows Defender
Hello,

...the ‘Delete‘ button is grayed out from when I enter the Personalization Settings.

On a stock setup at default, that Delete button will be grayed out and is standard - like this:
Default.jpg

However once you make changes to Sounds by clicking on a sound, and click Browse and associate a new one, etc, and then you click the Save As button to save your new Scheme as something else, and click Save, as shown in my screenshot below, then on that new Sound Scheme the Delete button will be active.
NewScheme.jpg

In other words, it's not active on Windows Default - so make/save a new scheme if you want to change things around.
Now that new scheme will show the Delete button Active, like this:
DeleteButtonActive.jpg

Using the Browse button (which will be active when you highlight a sound) ..with it you can add any sounds you would like to your own folders and click to associate them and click Apply.

As far as the Delete button though, of course you would only use it to delete one of your own Sounds Schemes you added, not to Delete anything of the Default sound scheme though, but only the ones you created.
I don't think there is anything wrong with yours at all, it's just learning how you want to use it.

I've often copied sounds from different Windows OS's to another one that I liked better, and associated that there.

edit
ps, most of those media folders you mentioned are empty on mine too

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Yeah, this is kinda hard to read exactly whats going on, this is the way I understand sounds and sound schemes.

There's no sound scheme to delete, as mentioned all the folders are empty, at least on Win8.1 - Google missing Windows 8.1 sound schemes. Any sounds you pick for any given event are simply individual sounds - not a sound scheme. I understand Delete to simply disassociate a sound file or scheme with an event or set of events. Obviously there's the default Windows scheme, you don't want to delete it anyway - just disable all sounds from all events - No Sounds.

OTOH, you can pick a bunch of individual sounds for whatever given events you like and SAVE the sum total as a scheme - maybe the NotSoTechSavvy scheme :) You can add whatever sound clips you like to create your own schemes, and I think there's a number of websites that have old sounds from OSes past.

I'm not sure what exactly your end game is - to have no sounds at all associated with any events (like me) - select No Sounds. Maybe you want to create your own by adding new .wav clips and give your scheme a name? I wouldn't disturb the \Media folder too much, maybe add a new \Media\MySchemes subfolder and drop your .wav clips here as individual files or add new scheme folders in \MySchemes - this way all you need to remove is the \MySchemes folder should things catch on fire. It might be safer to locate your new sounds elsewhere - I'm very cautious when adding new folders in default Windows locations but I have done it (wallpapers) - but rarely.

BTW, all 13 of my \Media folders are empty as well, but the \Media folder comes with a bunch of individual sounds - alarm, ring, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)
Everything is working great. It’s just that I’d like to delete aIl the Windows 7 sound schemes after upgrading to Windows 8 Pro (considering how I’d never use them). I’ve tried the solution listed above, but so far nothing has worked.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Antivirus
    Malwarebytes & Windows Defender
..It’s just that I’d like to delete aIl the Windows 7 sound schemes after upgrading to Windows 8 Pro..

You don't Delete them, but you would take each one that you don't want active, highlight it, then click the down arrow on the Sounds box for it to open full, then slide its right side scroll bar of that all the way to the top - and click on "None" to highlight it, and then be sure to click Apply! Selecting 'None' on each will shut it off so it will not play.

You do that with 'Each' sound you do not want.

Here's a screenshot which should be self explanatory, but in this screenshot I just randomly chose Windows Logon, where of course you would choose whatever the ones are that you want to change.

SelectNone.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live