I'm on a Horse ...
Delay Chkdsk start up time at OS Boot | Windows 8 & 8.1
(Or Disable Altogether)
(Or Disable Altogether)
Previous to Windows 8 if Chkdsk needed to run without prompt the user had the ability to cancel if so desired.
Since Windows 8, the user input has been removed.
At the least, you can change the delay setting as follows:
Modify DWORD "AutoChkTimeout"
1. Open Regedit:
One way to open regedit is to hit the Winkey+S and type regedit, hit enter when you see it appear.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
3. Click on the folder "Session Manager"
4. In the right hand pane you will see registry values. Right click on the value "AutoChkTimeout" and select "Modify" (See image one)
If the value is missing, create it (See image two)
5. Change the "Value data:" to the desired delay time of your choice.
e.x. Changing the value to 10, will delay the Chkdsk start time by 10 seconds.
Click OK, close the registry.
Create DWORD "AutoChkTimeout"
If the registry value "AutoChkTimeout" is not present:
Right click on an empty space in the right hand pain (in folder "Session Manager")
Select "DWORD (32-Bit) Value
Name it "AutoChkTimeout" (No Quotation Marks "")
Follow step 4. above.
Name = AutoChkTimeout
Base = Hexadecimal
Value Data = Delaytime (in seconds)
DISABLE automatic repair in Windows 8 & Windows 8.1
If you would like to disable automatic repair altogether:
1. Open the command prompt as Administrator (an elevated instance). If you have no idea how to open an elevated command prompt. Hit Winkey+S type in cmd.exe, when it appears, right click on the name and choose "Run as administrator"
2. Type the following text into the cmd window
bcdedit /set recoveryenabled NO
You have now disabled the Automatic repair function.
To reinable: Follow step 1 and in step 2 type in the following text:
bcdedit /set recoveryenabled YES
Having disabled the Automatic repair feature, you can follow Brink's tutorial on manually running Chkdsk > Here:
CHKDSK - Check a Drive for Errors in Windows 8
- Windows 8.1 x64
- Computer type
- System Manufacturer/Model
- Intel Core i7 4770K LGA1150
- Asus Maximus VI Formula
- Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 CMY32GX3M4A1866C9 1866MH
- Graphics Card(s)
- 2 x Crappy GeForce GT 640 2GB DDR3
- Sound Card
- I haz lollies ..
- Monitor(s) Displays
- 2 x LG / 2 x Samsung 21 Inch
- Screen Resolution
- Hard Drives
2 x Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO (OS / Other)
1 x Kingston 120G HyperX SSD (Swap)
3 x Seagate SATA III 2TB Barracuda (Data Drives)
1 x Seagate SATA III 1TB Barracuda (Media to XBox)
1 x W/Digital SATA II 300G VelociRaptor (Image)
- Silverstone 1500w
- NZXT Phantom 820 White Full Tower
- Noctua NH-D14
- Logitech G19
- Logitech G700 / Logitech T650 Touchpad Thingy
- Internet Speed
- ADSL 2+ (Australian version ... lol)
- All of them
- Nortons IS
- Other Info
- This one time at band camp ...