Solved Default Gateway is not available

Hi there,

I'm having trouble keeping my lenovo laptop (running windows 8) connected to the internet, and hoped someone might be able to help. I have been able to connect successfully to multiple wireless networks and access the internet until I tried to connect to the new network.

Initially everything is OK - I can connect to the network and access the internet. However after a short period of time (anywhere from a few seconds to 20 minutes) the network connection will change to limited, without internet access. If I simply disconnect and reconnect to the network the internet will immediately be working again (at least for a few seconds/minutes).

Alternatively, if I run the troubleshooter, I always get the message that the default gateway is not available, which has been fixed by resetting the wi-fi adapter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there's any more information you need.

I have been having the exact same issue now for about a month. I am on an HP Photosmart though from what I see described here and in the subsequent posts this seems to be a cross platform issue. I have rolled back drivers, hunted down supposedly newer ones, verified WPA2-AES, uninstalled and re-installed drives etc but nothing seems to have remedied the issue. HP, Google, Intel and Windows have been no help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
i, too am having trouble keeping Lenovo on line - arbitrarily drops me off - I tried the device manager - but do not have a d-link option to right click on - only have two bluetooth; intel centrino, and atheros - am unsure which, if any, I should right click on - this intermittent internet access has gotten VERY old - I have same problem on windows 8 Asus computer - but have not yet tried device manager on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky
Encryption is WPA-WPA2 Personal. That should be fine, yes? Channel was set to auto-detect. Switched to 1. In the Windows 7 forum, I saw mention of having too many tunnel adaptors. You don't think that is a factor here? Thank you for the response, Josh.

thank you Roadturn, your method solve my problem. when i get a new net wire, i will try update router firmware, maybe after update the firmware, no longer need to set to WPA.
anyway, thank you for your method! =)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Not to discourage anyone here, but I've been having these exact problems for about two years now, and I have done everything anyone has suggestes on any website on the internet and nothing has ever worked for longer than a day. Which eventually brings me to the conclusion that I am probably dealing with a faulty hardware device, perhaps the network card somehow got corrupted.

Anyhow, I just wanted to stay in touch with this thread in the unlikely event a permanent solution would be found, and suggest that you guys try and up the " Buffers Received" number in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Propperties of you're wifi adapter > Configure > Advanced > Receive Buffers. I think its standard on 256, and I set it to the maximum, 512. This seemed to work on a short term, but it seems as if every prossible solution I've tried works like an antibiotic: At first it works great, but after a while the same problem slowly returns, until you're back at the beginning.

Good luck,

Leonard

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55VD
    CPU
    Intel
    Memory
    500 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia geForce gt 610m
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender
Not to discourage anyone here, but I've been having these exact problems for about two years now, and I have done everything anyone has suggestes on any website on the internet and nothing has ever worked for longer than a day. Which eventually brings me to the conclusion that I am probably dealing with a faulty hardware device, perhaps the network card somehow got corrupted.

Anyhow, I just wanted to stay in touch with this thread in the unlikely event a permanent solution would be found, and suggest that you guys try and up the " Buffers Received" number in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Propperties of you're wifi adapter > Configure > Advanced > Receive Buffers. I think its standard on 256, and I set it to the maximum, 512. This seemed to work on a short term, but it seems as if every prossible solution I've tried works like an antibiotic: At first it works great, but after a while the same problem slowly returns, until you're back at the beginning.

Good luck,

Leonard

I've also been advised it was hardware related by a IT guys from my ISP and it has to do with my network card. My connection randomly drop off whether I'm on ethernet or wireless connection. All computer where I live work well on the same internet connection.

But when Windows is troubleshooting they say it's got to do with default gateway, and when it fixes it the connection starts back on until it goes back off.

Very intriguing!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
I had a similar issue. Try to restart you DHCP service in the Service Administration.
If it takes several seconds to restart the process there is an issue with the dependencies.
I changed the Lon On user to sytem account and pressed OK.
After this I returned it to "Local Service" where the password MUST be empty!

Now the restart of the DHCP and it's dependencies works within 3 seconds.

You can try the solutions by entering ipconfig /renew in a console window.

This will enquire a new DHCP address and show the result. This should be fast (3 seconds).

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
I had a similar issue. Try to restart you DHCP service in the Service Administration.
If it takes several seconds to restart the process there is an issue with the dependencies.

This will enquire a new DHCP address and show the result. This should be fast (3 seconds).

Good luck!

I had been having the same issues as the original post, and wanted to share that fk021772's resolution here solved the issue for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro

Good luck!

I had been having the same issues as the original post, and wanted to share that fk021772's resolution here solved the issue for me.

Correction -- fk021772's resolution above did NOT solve my issue (it came right back about a day later). I think I have finally identified the culprit, i uninstalled all McAfee components that came pre-installed on my laptop; I'm now two days free of that stupid issue!

Hope that helps others.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro

Good luck!

Correction -- fk021772's resolution above did NOT solve my issue (it came right back about a day later). I think I have finally identified the culprit, i uninstalled all McAfee components that came pre-installed on my laptop; I'm now two days free of that stupid issue!

Hope that helps others.

Update -- 5 days later, issue is still resolved!! Definitely related to McAfee.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Still hoping for a solid answer. Managed to get Lenovo to replace both my mother board and network card. No trace of McAfee any where and none of the other solutions have helped. Sometimes I will go a day or two without a problem but generally once or twice a day suddenly no internet while my wife sits next to me with her Mac plugging along never dropping a connection.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo twist S230U
I have Intel ac 7260 and was having this issue on window 8.1 and I rolled back the driver in driver for network adapter.
Back in business. Internet seems fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I got the problem after the Windows 8.1 update. Resetting the computer takes out the updates and WiFi connects perfectly. Done this three times already, always hoping in vain the new Windows updates will correct the problem. Windows updates suck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
default gateway unavailable - Lenovo G580 solved

I have finally found the solution after much searching. I was experiencing the same error of default gateway unavailable. I was unable to even ping default gateway. However, everything was working fine when connected via Ethernet cable. :-(
solution:
You need to download the latest driver for your network adapter, preferable from manufacture's website. :)

or try:
all you have to do is to change your network adapter driver from "Broadcom 802.11n Natwork Adapter" to "Broadcom 802.11a Natwork Adapter" and your wifi will work properly.

below are the steps to change network adapter driver.

i have Lenovo Z580

solution worked for me was...

1>open device manager
2>expand network adapters
3>double click on Broadcom 802.11a network Adapter (i.e open your wifi N/W adapter properties)
(Nore:- you might have Broadcom 802.11n network Adapter than select that)
4>select driver tab n click on update driver...
5>select Browse my computer for driver
6>click on let me pic from list of device....
7>unchack show compatibale hardware

8> now from the manufacturer window select Broadcom and from the Network Adapter list select the the driver having name Broadcom 802.11a Network Adapter and re connect your wifi..
Note that u have to select 802.11a by default it was 802.11n...

if still have problem try another driver from list any one of tham will defiantly work..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo G580
When you get to Device Manager simply highlight the wireless connection you are having problems with, right click it and choose properties then go to the Power Management tab and uncheck the option as in the picture below. It's important to note that there are many reasons for this error message, "Default Gateway Not Available" . :)

Can not believe it, I checked last night as crazy and tonight to, uninstall and replaced drivers and my solution was a stupid button, really apreciate it man

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    asus gt
Back