Solved Data Recovery After Partition Resizing, chkdisk Deletes

1slickvdc

See what happened was....

I was getting ready to migrate to a much smaller SSD; as I've done a few times, I shrunk the main OS partition and a secondary data partition and shifted everything "left" with gparted. On next boot, which I do to let it figure out what is where and ditch the "dirty" flag, it did a chkdsk, which is normal (right? it is on 7, which I use most of the time), but it just ran a zillion messages about deleting index for file [insert file name here]. It then switched off to finish a reboot and never woke up. The partition table's all messed up now from it trying to fix itself, and honestly, it's not my computer, so trying to get her drive back whole is key here. It's GPT partitioned and a spin drive, so hopefully recoverable? Ideas? The method I tried worked about 6 times before, but on Win7 and Linux setups...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    (Sometimes) 8.1
Already done, on the new ssd. That's the easy part, been done. Trying to recover her \Users folder is my concern now. Her user's folder disappeared for some reason, and there's seriously thousands of "[long hex number].chk folders inside \found.000... What I'm after is how the hell do I get the goods back? Drive has been read only since I noticed that snafu, but recovery software only shows me what's already there.

Hence my problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    (Sometimes) 8.1
Those "found.000"s are files and partial files that are renamed. if you sort by size, you should be able to discern some of them and rename their file extensions accordingly. This will only help so much and the rest of the files you will have to access individually with each file by either loading them in a Hex program and reading the headers or drag and drop with a corresponding program.

Of course, seperating the images should be easy if you use a browser like XNview and tell it to read the file regardless of extension and all of the valid images will appear in thumbnail view. For the most part though, it's goin to be tedious work on an individual file basis. That sucks! Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.0
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
Given how quickly I needed to remedy the situation, I discovered "Active@ Partition Recovery" software. Well worth the few bucks or whatever the hell it was. Might have been unique to my situation with the resizing partitions and moving stuff, but I had the entire partition, as it was a couple days before, in a recoverable list. Took hours for it to scan and hours for it to recover, but it worked. Thanks for the suggestions in the mean time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    (Sometimes) 8.1
Back