Cursor response freezing and Chrome browser "resolving host" issue

nrabus

I use a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse. I got it last Christmas and had no issue until a few days ago. The cursor response freezes for about 10 seconds every couple minutes. Device manager shows no indication of a problem with the mouse. There are no entries for the mouse in Event Viewer. I have Windows 8.1. I have been typing this message while the cursor freezes at times. Also, yesterday, the PC would freeze for about 5 seconds at times the past couple days. That hasn't happened today. Properties for the mouse show a driver sate from 2006. I chose the online search for an update but it said nothing found. A few days ago I rebooted and had 15 updates. Yesterday I rebooted with 3 updates.

Also, the past few days, some websites initial page takes a minutes to come in fully during the "resolving host" process. I use Chrome 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I have not tried using another mouse. I would think there has been an updated (meaning at least a few) updates to the mouse driver over the past 12 years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
I'm wondering if the USB bus on the motherboard is "overwhelmed" now and then. I'm only guessing wildly because I'm a Windows 7 person, and even my usb mouse/keyboard is inactive for some seconds from time to time. I have an external cooling assembly with 4 USB ports, it uses 1 laptop usb port; my printer, my scanner each take up a usb port -- perhaps my motherboard also suffers from "overwhelm" now and then. Overwhelm(ed) may not be the best technical term here; maybe conflicts with resource-shuffling may be a better phrase here

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    i7 in 2 Acers, i5 in desktop
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Laptops GameWorthy; Desktop maybe GameWorthy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    flatscreens; 2 are BluRay worthy
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1TB internals; 2 ext usb WD 1TB HDs
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Regular plus external fans
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    from Netscape 0.9 to FF 36
    Antivirus
    well-balanced, well-configured mult-layered defense is best
    Other Info
    From MS-DOS 3.3, MS-DOS 6.22, from Windows 3.1 to WFW 3.11 to Windows 95-98SE, now to Windows 7 Pro.
    Security for now: Windows 7 Firewall, Emsisoft AM, MSE [scan-only], SpywareBlaster, Ruiware/BillP combine
I use a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse. I got it last Christmas and had no issue until a few days ago. The cursor response freezes for about 10 seconds every couple minutes. Device manager shows no indication of a problem with the mouse. There are no entries for the mouse in Event Viewer. I have Windows 8.1. I have been typing this message while the cursor freezes at times. Also, yesterday, the PC would freeze for about 5 seconds at times the past couple days. That hasn't happened today. Properties for the mouse show a driver sate from 2006. I chose the online search for an update but it said nothing found. A few days ago I rebooted and had 15 updates Pnr Status TextNow VPN. Yesterday I rebooted with 3 updates.

Also, the past few days, some websites initial page takes a minutes to come in fully during the "resolving host" process. I use Chrome 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I have not tried using another mouse. I would think there has been an updated (meaning at least a few) updates to the mouse driver over the past 12 years.

Is it just the cursor or the whole system ? is there any particular hdd activity during the freeze ? The freeze touches both keyboard and mouse or you can use one while the other freezes ?

Because I don't think it's the cursor but the system, why ? the "resolving host" is a system part of connexion and taking long hasnothing to do with Chrome consumes a lot of resources (RAM and processor). Try a wired mouse just to see how it will behave.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Back