Curiouser & curiouser trying to see desktop on home network

Pogo

Recently had to do a refresh of Win8.1-64 bit on desktop. Previously, Win 10 laptop & Win 7 laptop could access the desktop's shared folders & files merely by clicking. Now both need to have ID & password in order to read/share w/ desktop (desktop can be seen in network on file explorer but can't be opened without the extra step). Clicking "remember credentials" doesn't carry over, next reboot ID & password are required again. Desktop can access files on either laptop without need for ID & password. Sharing is enabled on all three machines*, supposedly password not required, but situation persists. Can obviously make use of home network OK, but this extra step that wasn't required before is a hassle (and an annoyance since it wasn't needed previously).

*I double-checked to have settings identical on all three.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
This may be a Win 10 thing - who knows? Now the Win 10 laptop cannot see the Win 8.1 desktop at all but can see the Win 7 laptop. Win 7 laptop requires network ID & password to log onto home network (never needed before reinstall of Win 8). The Win 7 laptop can see both the desktop & other laptop. The desktop can see both laptops without any ID & password (all findable forms of sharing are turned on, and password sharing is turned off - supposedly - in Network/Sharing settings). I am open to any and all suggestions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
Back