CTRL + V won't work, how do I fix this?

Sorry that didn't fix it.

Most laptops have driver programs for keyboards. Does yours?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hello Pat,

Try uninstalling your keyboard driver as follows:

1. Windows Key + X > Device Manager
2. Expand the "Keyboards" entry
3. Rt. Click your keyboard and choose 'uninstall'
4. After Windows has removed the keyboard, go to the 'Action' menu (at the top of Device Manager), choose Scan for Hardware Changes

At this point Windows will re-initialize the driver and reinstall the keyboard.

I tried this, and it didn't solve my problem at all, thanks, though.

Ok, given that you already tried what others suggested without any luck, I think we may need a little more information. First of all, are you now, or did in the past, been using the Regional or Language settings?

Verify this here:

1.Win+X > Control Panel > Languages
2. Click Options on the right side and verify that the "Input Method" is US
3. Now click Advanced on the right side and make sure that the first two settings are set to English (US), and in the "Switching Input methods" context, make sure the two checkboxes are cleared. Save and Restart.

If you noticed nothing was amiss, there are still things we can try:

Did you install any kind of utilities or applications right before you first noticed the problem? What about any driver or Windows updates around this time? Any Toshiba updates/drivers? Have you upgraded the OS (like from Windows 8 to 8.1) recently? Also, as Hippsie mentioned, go into your Ease of Access settings (under 'Make the Keyboard easier to use' and turn off all the sticky key/filter keys/toggle, etc. options (ie., clear the checkmark for all the options). Save and restart.

Also, do you happen to have an external usb keyboard handy? Try plugging one in and see if CTRL+V works...if you don't have one, maybe you could just buy one, keep the receipt, and return it after you can test it...

If you are still having problems, please be sure to answer the couple questions above, so we can assist you further.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8 Pro
Hello Pat,

Try uninstalling your keyboard driver as follows:

1. Windows Key + X > Device Manager
2. Expand the "Keyboards" entry
3. Rt. Click your keyboard and choose 'uninstall'
4. After Windows has removed the keyboard, go to the 'Action' menu (at the top of Device Manager), choose Scan for Hardware Changes

At this point Windows will re-initialize the driver and reinstall the keyboard.

I tried this, and it didn't solve my problem at all, thanks, though.

Ok, given that you already tried what others suggested without any luck, I think we may need a little more information. First of all, are you now, or did in the past, been using the Regional or Language settings?

Verify this here:

1.Win+X > Control Panel > Languages
2. Click Options on the right side and verify that the "Input Method" is US
3. Now click Advanced on the right side and make sure that the first two settings are set to English (US), and in the "Switching Input methods" context, make sure the two checkboxes are cleared. Save and Restart.

If you noticed nothing was amiss, there are still things we can try:

Did you install any kind of utilities or applications right before you first noticed the problem? What about any driver or Windows updates around this time? Any Toshiba updates/drivers? Have you upgraded the OS (like from Windows 8 to 8.1) recently? Also, as Hippsie mentioned, go into your Ease of Access settings (under 'Make the Keyboard easier to use' and turn off all the sticky key/filter keys/toggle, etc. options (ie., clear the checkmark for all the options). Save and restart.

Also, do you happen to have an external usb keyboard handy? Try plugging one in and see if CTRL+V works...if you don't have one, maybe you could just buy one, keep the receipt, and return it after you can test it...

If you are still having problems, please be sure to answer the couple questions above, so we can assist you further.

On the first part, once I get into the options, there aren't any boxes to check, and secondly, I think I did make an update, not sure about the Toshiba updates, but I have been updating my laptop whenever there is a Windows update. Thirdly, sticky keys isn't enabled

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I don't know what else lastof has in mind, but in the meantime, do you have a restore point going back that far? I know you stated it's been a couple of months.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Is there a way to store that data on an external drive or in an account to reenter it afterwards?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I think your best bet to try to narrow things down would be to find a USB keyboard and test that.

Here are some other things you can try:

1. Try downloading and installing the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Center - which is just a control panel plugin...
2. Go to Toshiba and see if they have any kind of proprietary keyboard driver - sometimes they are included in laptop utility packages, like "Toshiba Value Package" or something similar.
3. Not sure if you tried this yet, but have you attempted booting into safe mode and replicating the problem?
4. Make sure your Toshiba chipset and BIOS drivers are up to date - sometimes Windows update will erroneously suggest (and install, if you have Win update set to automatic) drivers that don't function correctly with laptops - this mostly because manufacturers like Toshiba/HP/etc. use proprietary drivers (or at least OEM drivers that are packaged in a custom installer).

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8 Pro
CTRL V not working, help?

Hey, I posted something like this a while ago but no luck :/ It used to work, (on and off constantly) but now it doesn't work along with my mousepad. (I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop) So do you think it's just a faulty one or what? This has been goin on for over a year, and I've been quite confused about it so any help would be appreciated, thanks! :D

EDIT: I Have the latest windows 8 version (an update just finished about an hour ago, and still no luck)

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hi, I know this is an old thread and stuff, but I had a problem like this. Nothing worked, except another keyboard. After I got REALLY frustrated, I kinda smashed the keyboard a bit with my fists :). Turns out that 'fixed' it...
Might be help to other visiting, or not.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BREAK YOUR KEYBOARD DOING THIS!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i3-3240T
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V
    Memory
    8GB DDR3