Solved Create system reserved partition after installation

Oscar962

Hi, I'm trying to recreate win 8.1 pro system reserved partition on my ssd. Initially I installed windows on my ssd (c: ) and windows created the sysres partition on my unformatted hd (without telling me anything). After some trouble I managed to be able to boot from ssd directly without going through the sysres partition on the hd. Now if possible I'd like to recreate the sysres on the ssd (by disconnecting my hd so that windows has no other options than creating this on the ssd). If a try a system refresh it tells me it would wipe away all my user installed apps. Can you tell me how to recreate that partition on my ssd without messing things up? I googled for this but I can't find anything useful.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Initially I installed windows on my ssd (c: ) and windows created the sysres partition on my unformatted hd (without telling me anything)
Here's the reason why: http://www.eightforums.com/installa...ted-system-can-t-boot-without.html#post390128

Now, back to your question:
  1. In Your C: drive, create a partition of 350MB ie. 358400 = 350 X 1024 ===> this should give you exactly 350MB
  2. Assign the new created partition a letter, e.g Z:
  3. Download: EasyBCD Portable and run it, follow the instruction on the screen shot below then continue with step 4:

z.png
  4. Make sure you mark this disk Active
  5. Mark Inactive the other Disk that you previously had the reserved partition
  6. Open the BIOS and set first boot priority to the SSD
  7. reboot. <===== if it does not boot, you might have to do a startup repair.
  8. Once everything is working, remove the drive letter Z: so that the reserved partition is hidden.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    16 GB G-Skill Trident X @2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    256 GB M2 sm951, (2) 500GB 850EVO, 5TB, 2 TB Seagate
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
Thanks, I tried but it doesn't work. Note that the previous sysres partition had already been disabled, maybe easybcd cannot read the correct info from there and doesn't rebuild the partition.
When I try to boot, it says that the new system reserved partition does not contain an OS. I had to mark it inactive again and re-set my windows main partition as active using the installation dvd. Do I have to select re-create/repair boot files?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Ok thank you your solution was valid, that was a mistake on my part.
I had to run easybcd FIRST and THEN mark the new sysres partition as active. I had marked the new sysres partition active before running easybcd, so easybcd didn't know from where to copy boot code (actually I think it tried to copy it from the currently active partition which was the new system reserved partition itself).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Ok thank you your solution was valid, that was a mistake on my part.
I had to run easybcd FIRST and THEN mark the new sysres partition as active. I had marked the new sysres partition active before running easybcd, so easybcd didn't know from where to copy boot code (actually I think it tried to copy it from the currently active partition which was the new system reserved partition itself).
That's why I numbered each step, apparently you missed it.
Thanks for reporting back.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz