"Copy But Keep" Option is Missing To Transfer Files

ZaphodBeebleBrx

I am trying to copy some files (iPhone photos) from one folder to another. And of course, there are duplicates, as iPhones are prone to create. Equally frustrating, I am only getting two options for the warning, "There is already a file with the same name in this location," on Windows 8.1: "Copy and Replace" and "Don't Copy." It would be nice if there was a 3rd option, such as, "Copy But Keep." That way I wouldn't need to rename 45 files on my own or leave them in separate folders. However, I have scoured the Internet (Google and Youtube), and I have found some videos/articles that address the issue, but I have had no such luck with any of them being of any use to me now. :zip:

Irrelevant Option 1: Click "Copy But Keep" This option no longer appears on Windows 8.1.
Irrelevant Option 2: Click "Let me decide for each" and *then* click "Copy But Keep." This option no longer appears either on Windows 8.1
Irrelevant Option 3: You now need to copy multiple files in order to see "Let me decide for each" and go through the process of Irrelevant Option 2. This trigger for Irrelevant Option 2 no longer seems to work either.

So I am hoping someone might be able to help me with a short-cut. :dinesh:

This is my first time posting, so I hope the screen shot displays properly and that it gives you all a better idea of what I am seeing:
copybutkeepbothfiles.JPG

BTW, if it turns out there is no longer a way to transfer a duplicate file in Windows 8.1 and someone is having the same issue as me, I have figured out a longer way to get around this: Instead of transferring files (which cannot be renamed in the iPhone folder [folder 1]) to a folder [folder 2] that will reject most of them, create a third folder and transfer the files there (which can rename the files), highlight them, F2 to rename all of the files quickly, then transfer them into folder 2. It's still a bit tedious though. :shock:

Cheers!! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
these have been missing for a while. i myself would like to know how to get them back.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    and fx 6300
    Motherboard
    asus 970 pro gaming/aura
    Memory
    8gigs ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    asus gfrorce 750 ti 2gig oc model
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    samsung evo 850 120gig sata
    PSU
    650 watt
    Cooling
    coolermaster 212x
    Internet Speed
    125 mbps
    Browser
    cyberfox
    Antivirus
    bitdefender total security 2017

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satelite C55D-A Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Raedon 340 MB dedicated Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
The following is what I get in Windows 8.1 when I copy an file to another folder where a duplicate exists. I'm not sure why you do not.

Attachments

• copy.PNG
    copy.PNG
    74.6 KB · Views: 80

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center, Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom System
    CPU
    INTEL Xeon E5-2670 LGA 2011
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA X79 UD5 v1.0 F13s
    Memory
    64GB (8 X 8 GB) G-Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2133 Quad Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 1060 SC 3 GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek Onboard ALC898
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung S27E310
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD
    1 x 6TB WD 6003FZBX SATA
    13 x 3TB WD 30EFRX SATA
    PSU
    Seasonic X-1050
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor+
    Cooling
    INTEL BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G510s
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Explorer Mouse
    Internet Speed
    7.0 Mb/s
    Browser
    IE 11, Chrome
    Antivirus
    ESET NOD32 11.1, Malwarebytes Pro 3.5.1
    Other Info
    ASUS RT-AC68U router
Yeah, I remember once in awhile I would get this thing in Windows if my hand twitched on the mouse while I had files selected in Explorer I would get copies with the numbers in parenthesis. There is someplace in the Registry to turn that on and off. But I don't remember where. It used to happen to me on Windows 7 quite a bit. Somehow the setting would be enabled again and I would get those annoying dupes. But it has been more than 4 years since I used W7. Maybe searching out that dupe "error" that annoys some people would dig out the setting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satelite C55D-A Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3