Continues Errors at startup "Metadata staging failed"

I agree

I too have tried rolling back two laptops, no difference. I have reported this twice to Microsoft to be escalated so far. The more of us that report it the faster it will get resolved.
I have had a response from a Moderator on the Microsoft site who has agreed to escalate the complaint. Sit and wait now I think.

If I here back I will report back to you all. I have tried all angles and phone numbers I have to hand.

Kind Regards

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Home Premium 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Starting yesterday, I noticed random Metadata 131 errors in my Event Log as well. With info from a Microsoft forum, I opened Task Scheduler, navigated to Library\Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup and manually ran the task for Metadata Refresh. Lo and behold, there immediately appeared to be about a dozen of these event 131 errors for various device CLSID numbers.
I made the change in the URL for the DeviceMetadataServiceURL key as suggested by Saammy on Page 3 of this thread.
I rebooted and then manually ran the Metadata Refresh scheduled task once again and no more errors appeared. So, apparently his URL link still works.
I had previously used that fix successfully last September, but I restored the original URL after some posters claimed that MS had fixed it. This time, I'll just leave Saammy's URL in place unless I run into future metadata staging problems.

Hi Ronnie

to save you some time in the future it may help you to know that you do not need to go into the task scheduler and run it this way to test if the url has been fixed:

If you go to control panel - Hardware and Sound - Printers and devices when your devices page loads if you click anywhere on a blank page and select 'refresh' with the mouse it will run the task immediately for you. Just a shortcut I learnt. Hope this helps.

I have no news today from the moderator - assume 'men are at work on a resolve' will keep you all informed

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
I am still experiencing this problem on 2 separate systems both HP, a Desktop purchased in 12/13 with 8 then moved to 8.1 and kept up-to-date and a Laptop purchased 1/15 loaded with 8.1 and kept up-to-date. While Saammy's link works just fine I know this needs to be rectified and the sooner the better.

Saammy knew the way inside MS and could get to people the average user will never get to hence the issue was solved fairly quickly. Last year after several support sessions I was able to get to level 2 support and showed them how the original link failed and the one from Saammy worked and the guy did not have a clue what I was showing him so I do not have much confidence that this will be solved quickly. Region Specific? I am in FL for whatever that's worth and I don't believe this has anything to do with windows updates and I have not added anything to either one of my PC's. Last time this happened I imaged my computer back to an earlier time (Macrium Reflect) and it made no difference.

I hope others will check to see if this is affecting them because there is more power in numbers.

I totally agree with more power in numbers - I am sending regular updates of this thread to the moderator so the more people that add to the thread confirming this is an issue then the more power we have to get it fixed. The page is getting lots of viewers who may be searching for a resolution. I would appreciate if viewers would add to thread so we may see how wide spread this issue is. Thank you

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
So is the problem the server that is pointed to by the link in the Registry?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade Rig
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 Quad 3770K @ 5 Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator-GT 16GB @ 2400 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC Edition
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA246Q & PA249Q IPS 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 830, 840 256GB |
    2TB Seagate SATA3 |
    Hitachi eSata 500GB
    PSU
    Corsair Professional Series 1050W
    Case
    Corsair Obsididan 800D Full Tower
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K520
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Explorer
    Internet Speed
    120/35
    Browser
    Fx41
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    UEFI BIOS with a GPT SSD boot drive.
Registry key url forwarding link malfunctioning

yes indeed it is:

the url link in the registry key is a link that should forward all operating systems to: http:// dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc

this is the url given to us by Saammy last September, we are currently using this.

The url in the registry is a forward link and the forwarding is corrupt in some way and therefore stopping the metadata refreshing. In turn this generates the Event ID131 "metadata staging failed for container app etc etc".

Hope this helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Is this why my system froze and my keyboard and mouse was not working, i did a reboot with the reset key on computer went in to event viewer and i seen tones of these metadata errors and there related to my keyboard mouse and xbox controller. my windows was up and still working just my keyboard and mouse were frozen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A-G45
    Memory
    8 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung Sync Master s27B550
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    1 TB internal driver and one 1TB external drive.
    PSU
    Antec NeoECO 620 watt
    Case
    custom case
    Cooling
    Fans
    Keyboard
    steelseries apex
    Mouse
    stellseris sensel
    Internet Speed
    Unknowen
    Browser
    Google chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton 360 from comcast
Been getting these errors i noticed recently, found this thread started 7 months ago, still no resolve from Microsoft or telling you to change a registry entry. Should of had an update to fix this or on there end by now. Out of 2 dozen of optional updates recently, none had anything to do with this and still no important updates. Not crashing the PC,no keyboard problems for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
Is this why my system froze and my keyboard and mouse was not working, i did a reboot with the reset key on computer went in to event viewer and i seen tones of these metadata errors and there related to my keyboard mouse and xbox controller. my windows was up and still working just my keyboard and mouse were frozen.

Been getting these errors i noticed recently, found this thread started 7 months ago, still no resolve from Microsoft or telling you to change a registry entry. Should of had an update to fix this or on there end by now. Out of 2 dozen of optional updates recently, none had anything to do with this and still no important updates. Not crashing the PC,no keyboard problems for me.
I think it is close to a 100% certainty that this is a Microsoft problem with the Metadata Link. Just like the last time when it didn't affect everyone's system but there were still untold number of systems that were affected. Changing the link in the registry will resolve the issue but I don't think it can be considered a permanent fix. MS needs to fix the standard link.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP 500-075 Desktop + HP 15-f018dx Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz Quad Core/ LT - i3-4030U 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (DX10.1)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    1T HDD, 16G Sandisk Cache Drive, 2T Seagate 3.0 External
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
    CyberPower UPS, Macrium Backup, Revo Pro, Malwarebytes Premium

I think it is close to a 100% certainty that this is a Microsoft problem with the Metadata Link. Just like the last time when it didn't affect everyone's system but there were still untold number of systems that were affected. Changing the link in the registry will resolve the issue but I don't think it can be considered a permanent fix. MS needs to fix the standard link.

I agree, as do not like messing around with registry either. Nobody seems to have any clues. This service runs manually only in Windows 8.1

View attachment 61411

Not affecting my system in anyway either, just noticed it in Event Viewer recently as others 5-10 times a day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
OK, after extensive research and trial and errors, I figured a work around for the issue.

It seems the issue is coming from Windows Update trying to retrieve info about the installed hardware from the internet and failing during startup.

To prevent this from happening do the following:

Go to Control Panel > Type in the search "device installation" > Click on "Change device installation settings"

Click on "No let me choose what to do" > choose the option "Never install driver software from Windows Update" and make sure that "Automatically get the device app and info provided by your device manufacture" is UNCHECKED. < This is the source of the issue

Restarted and shutdown a couple of times and the error is totally gone.

By knowledgeable people here, this was voted best try for now till something else comes along from MS.
Good research, mbushnaq ,solved your own thread for now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
OK, after extensive research and trial and errors, I figured a work around for the issue.

It seems the issue is coming from Windows Update trying to retrieve info about the installed hardware from the internet and failing during startup.

Go to Control Panel > Type in the search "device installation" > Click on "Change device installation settings"

Click on "No let me choose what to do" > choose the option "Never install driver software from Windows Update" and make sure that "Automatically get the device app and info provided by your device manufacture" is UNCHECKED. < This is the source of the issue

Restarted and shutdown a couple of times and the error is totally gone.

By knowledgeable people here, this was voted best try for now till something else comes along from MS.
Good research, mbushnaq ,solved your own thread for now.

I agree this is the source of the issue but it is controlled by the url forwarding link in the registry so what you are doing here is merely turning off the link in the registry and telling it not to update your hardware devices. It is not a permanent fix to the issue,

This is a further temporary fix that we used previously in September when the url was broken: Turning off hardware updates on boot up is not a good resolution merely a temporary way to stop event ID 131 flooding your event viewer. All you are doing here I stopping Microsoft metadadta services running on your system when it boots. We need the updates so stopping them is only a temporary resolve not a permanenet fix. Both temporary fixes we have come up with and merely masking the real issue,

The registry temporary fix we are using and also turning off the hardware updates to metadata services as you suggest do both work and do indeed stop the event logging.

What we are looking for here is a repair from Microsoft. They acknowledged and repaired the forwarding url in September 2014 and once again the link has become corrupt in some way. We do indeed need Microsoft to escalate this issue to the relevant department.

Here is a link to the Microsoft Community Website where I have posted details for the Moderators to escalate the issue:

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-cra...up-metadata-staging-failed-10.html#post499017

perhaps if more of you had your comments to the post they will realise this issue is growing rather than going away. Editing registry keys and turning off hardware updates is not a fix for any windows operating system. We are merely masking the issue with our own resolutions.

Thank you

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
I made an interesting discovery. Apparently microsoft has changed something on the domain. Maybe someone of you can order what to do.

I have checked the path in the registry and this is the result.
The path is for Metdaten: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=252669&clcid=0x409

View attachment 50810

I have the solution for the problem.
Searches on regedit for the following entry: DeviceMetadataServiceURL
There you change the URL in the following: http://dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc
after you have closed the editor is saved the change.
Now the problem is solved and it will also re-loaded device information.

I've just started having this error in the last 2-3 days. This is probably a silly question, but how do I "search" in regedit for the entry? If I use "Find" and DeviceMetadataServiceURL , nothing is found

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
not a silly question at all

This is quite a reasonable request not silly at all:

Open your regedit in run box:
Click on : HKEY LOCAL MACHINE
Click on; SOFTWARE
Click on: MICROSOFT
Click on: WINDOWS
Click on: CURRENT VERSION
Click on: DEVICE METADATA

Once Device Metadata is open you will see half way down the list the url that is malfunctioning: Click on this line with the mouse, go the tool bar and click edit, click modify and url will come up in a box: Delete the url in the box and replace it with: http://dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc.

Close registry Editor and restart your machine, your errors will be clear:

Note, when following my links for the registry, you have trawl down some pretty long lists to get to the right folder, but they are there, so do not despair.

Stuck or need further guidance, please just shout.

Cheers now

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Just out of curiosity I restored my Desktop to an image created (Macrium Reflect) prior to the recent 6 or so updates installed on 4/29 just to rule out any possible effect the updates might have had with the Metadata Link and as you might expect, upon initial start-up I have the usual errors with the original link. I chose my desktop cause it is so much faster than my Laptop, full restore 50G in less than 8 min.
This problem was NOT created by problematic Updates.

HELLO Microsoft! Are You Out There?

I wish Saammy were here, he knew how to contact the right people within MS to get the problem solved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
I have placed a new request for a fix on the Microsoft website, some of you may wish to add your comments to give it strength or you may just wish to follow its progress: My aim is to get the issue fixed so our systems operate as they should:

Moderators - can we ensure we have escalated this issue so we can have - Microsoft Community

Thanks for effort, but that did not seem to go well there. Tried talking to resident Alien here he felt one of your solutions for now, turning off through device installation. I agree with all none of these are the permanent fix. I too did a recent clean install and did not take many of the optional updates in past weeks. I would of never known i had this issue till i happen to look in Event Viewer not long ago.

Although i am not and sure like most of you not having any effects from this, BSOD or anything else just fact of these constant errors.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
For whatever good it may do I just got off the phone with MS Level 2 Support. I explained the problem and emailed them screenshots of the errors as well as the registry page using the stock link that is failing and the substitute link. The tech agreed to forward to the engineering & development group. I also included a link to this thread.

I am not overly optimistic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
For whatever good it may do I just got off the phone with MS Level 2 Support. I explained the problem and emailed them screenshots of the errors as well as the registry page using the stock link that is failing and the substitute link. The tech agreed to forward to the engineering & development group. I also included a link to this thread.

Hey you went one step further then the rest, thanks!! Been on phone with MS support before myself. Hopefully we'll see some resolve soon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info

Thank you for taking this action, I too have done this and again level 2 support did not seem over interested in this issue but did agree to forward it for action, fingers crossed we will get there in the end. We all know this is a MS Server issue. The more people that pick up the phone, the faster we will get a resolve. I am going to put a detailed letter in the post as a backup.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX