Solved Connect to WIFI with forgotten account password ?

maz

Here is the story. I will try to be calm (the temptation to throw the laptop on the wall is great now).

Last time I use my win8 laptop was one year ago while I was on vacation.

Since then I changed my live account password at least 4-5 times (I keep forgetting it and I use the phone reset password quite often).

I also changed my internet provider and the wifi network name and password also changed.

So basically everything has changed since my last connection.

When I try to connect, it asks me for the last password I used to connect to this PC...and I don't remember it...I tried 5-6 different possibilities without success.

Now on the main screen (before the login screen) there is the wifi icon with an asterisks telling me that it detected new wifi networks.

Fine, I will connect to my wifi and it will ask for my most recent password...right ?
Now how do I do that ?
It seems that there is no way to connect to a new wifi network from the login screen...
I tried everything and clicked everywhere on the login screen ...nothing related to the wifi...except the wifi detection icon that does nothing when you click on it.

Tell me this is not the case and I'm missing something...

This is really frustrating.

P.S.
My laptop has no ethernet port so I can not connect with a wire :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
with smartphone

Have you try to connect wifi wtih smartphone?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DELL
    CPU
    i3-3240 3.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    4Go
    Graphics Card(s)
    Motherboard
    Browser
    All
    Antivirus
    Defender
How would I do that ?

One thing I tried is to reset my wifi network as it was last year (I think) and it did not work either.

I'm so frustrated because I think this is the most idiotic system I have ever seen.
I can't login because I'm offline, the system detects wifi networks but does not offer me to connect to one of them.
COME ON !

My Computer

System One

• OS
Why do you want to connect to Wifi if you are not even connect to Windows.
I know only Orange Livebox.
If your smartphone is already connect to the box (otherWise connect with the wep key on the carton box), login to the box as admin.
Then you can suppress password for connexion. like this your PC can connect alone, without question.
To login in Windows you normaly not need to be connect to network. If Yes (novell network) then you have a check mark to say that you want to log in as standalone Workstation.
Last, on Google, search "linux boot cd reset windows 7 password" there are multiple tools.
I used Ultimate Boot CD (free), without problem

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DELL
    CPU
    i3-3240 3.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    4Go
    Graphics Card(s)
    Motherboard
    Browser
    All
    Antivirus
    Defender
That's a tough situation, here's what Microsoft has to say about it:

If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:

If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.

If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. For more info, go to the Reset your password webpage.

If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

If you've tried these suggestions and still can't sign in:

If you have Windows 8.1, you'll need to reinstall Windows. :(

You say your laptop has no ethernet port so you can't connect via cable. You could try a USB ethernet adapter but I don't think it will work since it will probably need to download/install drivers for the ethernet adapter. However, here's one that says there is built-in support for it in Win 8: Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Macbook, Chromebook, Windows 8.1 and Earlier, Surface Pro, Wii, Wii U, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88772 chipset): Computers & Accessories

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris X Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Samsung U32J59 32 inch monitors, 13.3" display, 12.3" display
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 (Desktop), 1920x1080 (laptop), 2736x1824 Pro 7
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
I am from more than 30 years in informatics. I never use reinstall as a reparation solution. When you know what you are doing, you just have to correct the problem (the manual step boot (after using F2 key) is very usefull. Then when Microsoft answer that, it is like they say "will play in your cash".
You will see with UBCD that NTFS protection is nothing, except if you have cripted ntfs partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DELL
    CPU
    i3-3240 3.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    4Go
    Graphics Card(s)
    Motherboard
    Browser
    All
    Antivirus
    Defender
Then you can suppress password for connexion. like this your PC can connect alone, without question. ...
I think he has an idea here. From your phone or other computer connected to your router, go into the router admin settings and TEMPORARILY remove the wifi login password (passphrase). That might let you get connected to your wifi. Of course you'll want to put the password back once you get things working.

... Last, on Google, search "linux boot cd reset windows 7 password" there are multiple tools.
I used Ultimate Boot CD (free), without problem
@DomiChi58 - Have you used UBCD to reset an MS Account PW on a Win 8 computer? I haven't so do not know if it will work or not. I think there's a good chance it would work if he was using a local account but not so sure using a MS Account.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
That's a tough situation, here's what Microsoft has to say about it:

If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:

If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.

If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. For more info, go to the Reset your password webpage.

If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

If you've tried these suggestions and still can't sign in:

If you have Windows 8.1, you'll need to reinstall Windows. :(

You say your laptop has no ethernet port so you can't connect via cable. You could try a USB ethernet adapter but I don't think it will work since it will probably need to download/install drivers for the ethernet adapter. However, here's one that says there is built-in support for it in Win 8: Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Macbook, Chromebook, Windows 8.1 and Earlier, Surface Pro, Wii, Wii U, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88772 chipset): Computers & Accessories

I thought about using a usb to ethernet adaptor but like you said it's not a guaranteed success.

The thing I don't understand is that Windows does not offer me to connect to a wifi network...
why is that ?
It seems completely and ridiculously stupid to me.
You have to connect to your account to have access to the wifi network ? really.
Windows shows me it detected wifi networks but it's just to tease me apparently because I can select one and connect to it.

I hate this laptop for not having an ethernet port but I hate windows even more for putting me in that absurd situation where I have the most recent windows live account password but still can't connect to my account because it's offline forever until I give him the last password I used on this computer (I won't remember it...I tried everything ).

Reinstall windows is out of the question because all I want is to get a backup document I saved on this laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I run into the same situation on my computers that connect to a corporate domain. Authentication is done by the domain server but you have to be connected to reach the domain server. If not connected, the computer has the last known pw cached so you need to know the pw that was last used in order to login to the computer so you can connect to the corporate VPN in order to reach the domain server.

I prefer to use a local account on my Win 8 and Win 10 systems instead of a MS Account.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
I just tried the "no wifi password" trick and it did not work because obviously windows does not pick any open wifi network randomly.
You still have to tell windows which wifi network you want to use but apparently you can not even do that without connecting to your "offline' login account.

Basically , as long as I can't select my wifi network this computer is good to throw in the garbage. Thanks Microsoft.
This is so dumb.. Really.

Is there any way to select that damn wifi network ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
I was afraid that would be the case since you wouldn't have the ability to tell it to connect to the open wifi. It was worth a shot.

It really isn't dumb. It's there so that if you lose your computer, someone else can't access it or your internet connection. Don't blame MS, blame the unethical people out there in the world that force such measures.

I still think at this point your best bet is the USB ethernet adapter. It's certainly worth a shot rather than need to re-install Windows or 'throw in the garbage" as you state. If you plan to throw it in the garbage, let me know and I will pay the shipping so you can send it to me. I will get it working and have an extra laptop! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
I was afraid that would be the case since you wouldn't have the ability to tell it to connect to the open wifi. It was worth a shot.

It really isn't dumb. It's there so that if you lose your computer, someone else can't access it or your internet connection. Don't blame MS, blame the unethical people out there in the world that force such measures.

I still think at this point your best bet is the USB ethernet adapter. It's certainly worth a shot rather than need to re-install Windows or 'throw in the garbage" as you state. If you plan to throw it in the garbage, let me know and I will pay the shipping so you can send it to me. I will get it working and have an extra laptop! :D

1.It's dumb because I have the most recent password and a way to connect to the internet and I'm stuck. Why connecting directly with an ethernet cable would be more secure than connecting to a wifi network ? The only reason a thief would be stuck as I am is basically the absence of an ethernet port on this particular laptop.

2.Trust me you don't want this crappy laptop. No ethernet port, no vga port, a screen with poor viewing angles...I won it in a contest 2 years ago but I would never have bought it.

3.For reference the laptop is a Dell Inspiron Duo.

4. I just found out that they sell a dock station for this laptop. The dock has an ethernet port. That may be worth a try too. Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron Duo Audio Station: Computers & Accessories

Any way thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Good news :)
The USB-Ethernet adapter did the job.
I was able to recover my laptop.

40 $Cad for 2 minutes of use:(

My Computer

System One

• OS
And the boot CD?

this computer is good to throw in the garbage. Thanks Microsoft.

When I change the system I always make a new pack of bootable DVD. Then I have not to change the hard disque if it has problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DELL
    CPU
    i3-3240 3.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    4Go
    Graphics Card(s)
    Motherboard
    Browser
    All
    Antivirus
    Defender
Good news :)
The USB-Ethernet adapter did the job.
I was able to recover my laptop.

40 $Cad for 2 minutes of use:(
Glad you got it working. Maybe you'll find more use for that USB-Ethernet adapter to make it more worthwhile. I have one I use with my MS Surface Pro 3 (no built-in ethernet port) for times when I want to connect to a network that isn't wifi.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
Back