Computer shuts down instead of waking from sleep.

theridon

I have an acer laptop that recently had some problems, half the time I pressed the power button the light would flash and it would not turn on. I sent the laptop for repairs under warrantee, just got it back after two weeks. It seemed to be fixed but as soon as I put the computer to sleep, then woke it up, bam, it just shut down, and I'm back to square one. After this happens, for the next 10 minutes or so the computer will not turn on at all. Whenever I put the computer to sleep/hibernate, most of the time when I try to wake it up the computer shuts down, then the next few times I try to turn the computer on via the power button, the light briefly flashes, and the computer doesn't turn on. After 10 or so minutes the computer usually turns on, for now. Other than that, the computer works just fine.

I will probably have to send this thing back to get fixed again...but I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of issues like this.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have an acer laptop that recently had some problems, half the time I pressed the power button the light would flash and it would not turn on. I sent the laptop for repairs under warrantee, just got it back after two weeks. It seemed to be fixed but as soon as I put the computer to sleep, then woke it up, bam, it just shut down, and I'm back to square one. After this happens, for the next 10 minutes or so the computer will not turn on at all. Whenever I put the computer to sleep/hibernate, most of the time when I try to wake it up the computer shuts down, then the next few times I try to turn the computer on via the power button, the light briefly flashes, and the computer doesn't turn on. After 10 or so minutes the computer usually turns on, for now. Other than that, the computer works just fine.

I will probably have to send this thing back to get fixed again...but I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of issues like this.

Hi theridon, have you tried turning off Fast Startup? (Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>System Settings) If this does not work, try installing the hotfix provided by Microsoft or you could go into Windows Updates and search for KB3042085 under optional updates and install it from there. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    i7
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia