Completely Remove UAC Shield From Icons/Files?

Enigma

OK, i've done a bit of research on this already, and i have long known why some programs have this shield on their icon (to indicate that some apps might require elevated priviledges to run). but i have been using PCs for quite a few yrs now and consider myself an experienced user, so now i just want to get rid of it forever without turning off UAC so i can continue to use Metro/Modern apps. i read up on several methods, but the most interesting one involved editing the imageres.dll file in C:\Windows\System32, in icon #78 (i think that's the one). you can see what i mean by right-clicking on any shortcut and selecting the "change icon" option and then navigating to the imageres.dll file, then you will see all the possible icons in Windows. The one i'm referring to is the blue/yellow shield.

But anyways, i used IcoFX to edit that one icon in the file and made it transparent/opaque, and then imported the icon into imageres.dll with Resource Hacker (i found a tutorial on another forum). then i rebooted, deleted the imageres.dll from C:\Windows\System32 and from C:\Windows\SysWOW64 via a CMD prompt on my 8 install usb drive, and replaced it with my edited file. Windows booted up fine, at which point i still saw the UAC overlay, so i cleared the icon cache for both user accounts on my PC. then rebooted again. this time the overlays were gone permanently................until i changed my desktop to use Small Icons, because that's how i like things to be. and as soon as i did, it came back. but switching back to medium/large icons removes the overlay again.

so my question is, since i completely edited the UAC shield from the imageres.dll, then where else can Windows be finding it so as to display it? it has to be coming from somewhere and im wondering where the source is, probably within imageres.dll, so i can edit it out. i realize this is really no big deal, but i just like to personalize my pc to the max and have everything looking/running the way i like it as much as possible. so if anyone has any idea what im talking about then please respond. thanks!

on a side note, i dont see this overlay on any icons while i'm logged into the so-called "real" Administrator account, only on my MS account. but i'm sure that is because the real Admin account isnt subject to UAC by default and any apps ran under that account are always elevated. I'm also not seeing the UAC shield in the right-click context menu under "Run as admin" or elsewhere after making this change, but that dont bother me, and my system appears to be running just fine. and of course i backed-u-p the originals so that i can always restore them if need be. so no harm done regardless.

Am posting several screenshots to illustrate. i'm not uploading my imageres.dll because it is too large (60+ MB). but nmy basic steps were to open it IcoFX, extract the UAC icon, make every opaque/transparent, and then merge the icon back into imageres.dll with Resource Hacker. for anyone who wants to look at it, its identical to the one provided by MS except the blue/yellow shield has effectively been removed (but not really, just made invisible to the eye)..........

Attachments

• Small Icons - With UAC Overlay.jpg
    Small Icons - With UAC Overlay.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,225
  • Medium-Large Icons - Without UAC Overlay.png
    Medium-Large Icons - Without UAC Overlay.png
    327.7 KB · Views: 1,422

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3632QM, 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 720M, Intel HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Laptop/notebook keyboard/touchpad
    Internet Speed
    It varies, since I'm mobile most of the time
    Browser
    Chromium (the open-source browser which Google Chrome is derived from)
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Privatefirewall
    Other Info
    I will add more information here later
Hi V,

I did just as you did with a slight twist. I extracted the Shield icon using IcoFX 2, then imported that change to my copy of imageres.dll icon set using Resource Hacker (remember, folks, BOTH the System32 and SysWOW 64 versions if you're running 64-bit Windows).

The final much easier step was to use an old tool called Se7en File Replacer. You simply click MANUAL on the GUI, point the program to the new file and then to the old file. The program will prompt you to reboot, and PRESTO! No more Shield overlays on your icons!

Thanks to Speedgamer01 at Seven Forums for the Se7en File Replacer trick!

Thanks to V for the IcoFX and Resource Hacker advice!

cupper24

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570k
    Motherboard
    Asrock z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    2 x 8GB Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS HD 6950 IceQ X Turbo 2GB
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 10
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
I didnt ever think anyone was going to answer anyway, I waited for over a week after initially making my post. I know why the UAC shield appears on icons, it's not such a big deal if I am never able to get rid of it. I just like being able to customize Windows to the max. I had tried several methods to get rid of it but it would never completely go away. I'm a bit wary of making changes to system files like the imageres.dll, that's why I was looking for a more non-invasive approach. I'm going to be trying the WinAero Shortcut Editor and Microangelo On Display later tonight to see if they work 100%. I have also heard that TuneUp Utilities can get rid of the shield but am not sure. I do have it installed but never tried to remove the shield with it. It does have some nice icon packs available for download and is a great app for getting more out of Windows, it's one of the few utilities that I actually recommend to friends. Most so-called Windows utilities are crap and do things that you can do on your own, with less risk.

Well, thanks for the responses!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
For Microangelo on Display to remove all shield icons, the Run as administrator box can't be checked:

Untitled.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
For Microangelo on Display to remove all shield icons, the Run as administrator box can't be checked

In my experience that's not true, I run alot of programs as admin, and still no shield on the icons. I used MOD recently to get rid of the shield and arrow overlays and it works very well. I just wonder how it works. Does it modify system files?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
First off, I just want to say thank you very much for this thread, now I would like to return the favor. I've also found a way to make the shield gone when switching between icon sizes and have listed it in the description as well. So here it is, I've went down the line and have put together COMPLETE instructions on how to do what Enigma/V first described here. Thank you very much, by the way, I've been looking everywhere as to how to make the shield gone FOR GOOD. Thanks to all of you, cupper, you as well. I just started looking recently as I figured there had to be a way to remove them, I am so stoked to have them gone, now my taskbar may be nothing but beautiful game Icons. X)

***THIS HAS BEEN TESTED ON WINDOWS 7 AND SHOULD WORK THE SAME ON OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS.

COPY AND PASTE THIS TO NOTE-PAD, THEN SAVE IT FOR LATER INSTRUCTION.

Software needed: (BUY) IcoFX2, it's worth it and is going to get you what you want plus more.
Resource Hacker (free online)
Se7en File Replacer (free online)

Once you have the software, store them all in the same location for easy use, then take down and follow these simple instructions. I hope this helps many as I have been helped. Thank you.

HOW TO - Completely Remove "mini-floating" UAC Shield From Icons/Files:

1.Search " imageres.dll " at the start menu, then take down BOTH locations that the file comes up in (you will need these locations), one should be in C:/windows/system32 and the other in C:/windows/winsxs... They should pop up in the search. Make MULTIPLE copies of this original dll file in SEPERATE folders, so you don't have to rename them and may use them for multiple purposes.

2.Open Icofx2 then open the imergeres.dll file copy that you made, click on whatever Icon [SET] you want to extract and make changes to. (in this case the shield #74) ***NOTE, you may make all of the different sized icons in the set transparent , so that if you might like to change your icon sizes later the shield (or whatever icon) will not pop back up at those smaller or bigger sizes. ;)

3.Then import that changed icon set, back into that same copy of imageres.dll using Resource Hacker, just open Resource Hacker, open that copy of imageres.dll. Now there is folders on the left, these are the folders within imageres.dll along with the icon files you want to change. Simply HIGHLIGHT but do NOT open the ICON folder, then once highlighted select the action tab on the menu-bar. Now select Replace Icon... A new window opens and you then press the open file with new icon...button, then browse to and select the icon [set] file you extracted and saved with Icofx2 and press enter. Now select the icon to replace: (in this case it ends up being in number 78) So select number 78, you should see the icon that is to be replaced now in the upper right hand corner of the window next to >select the icon to replace: (in this case the blue and yellow shield). You may close the program after selecting 78 and pressing enter.

4.Now, BEFORE you open Se7en File Replacer, MAKE A COPY OF THE IMAGERES.DLL FILE YOU JUST MADE! Then open Se7en File Replacer. Click MANUAL on the main menu, now browse to and select the imageres.dll file you created and then browse to and select the old file in one of the locations you took down at the start. The program will prompt you to reboot, and after reboot, ALL THE SHIELDS AREN'T GONE!!! Don't worry... ***Remember, YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE BOTH the System32 and the winsxs directories have the file replaced with yours. Also, don't be shocked and think you have to do it all over though. Just take that copy you made of the finished dll file and replace the dll file in the other directory you took down the same way you just easily did the last one. Reboot again and on to the final step!!!

5.LAST STEP!-Clear the icon cache... type or copy and paste> ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache < (not the arrows) into the run/search on the start menu, hit enter and when your icons refresh before your eyes...THE SHIELDS ARE GONE FOR GOOD!!!! ***Unless you re-install or install a new operating system, something like that would change it back!

Truly,
Trillium

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
In reply to^ w/ my respect to you David, but let me clarify if I may, I'm a bit concerned about your post and confused as to why you're posting practically the same thing above after I posted here...

1st - I have seen your previous post on "Microangelo on Display" (as I expressed). We also know that the reputation button is there and you should give someone a chance to give you reputation points, not specifically imply that everyone doesn't know they exist simply because they have not clicked yours.

2nd - With your quote at the end of your post, it seems you are implying that whoever doesn't accept your advice on this, is swine or in other words pigs (which is very dis-respectful in my eyes). While using religion to do this none the less. You should understand why people are not responding when you do these things and also that people like me, may have found a route they feel more comfortable with (for whatever their reason, it is our choice).

3rd - It seems also when you post things like the link to the badge site> http://www.eightforums.com/chillout-...on-badges.html and things like: "It seems most people don't know that the option to give reputation points even exists." (right before calling people swine) that you are trying to imply that you are better than others. When I saw the badge site and how you are portraying yourself, it makes me feel like you are trying to prove that your information is better, simply because you have badges. I'm sure I know just as much as you and am HIGHLY ADVANCED with computers, as well as computer software. I just signed up for this site and to be honest, posting things like the windows we use or our computer specs has turned into a boast for some. They should realize that most people have multiple computers and software, that just because it isn't listed, doesn't mean I don't have it. Lol. I'm choosing to use this pc and software that is on it, but have almost every version of windows, including 8. So I should not be judged by people like you, that think you are better because of things like your badges.

EXPLANATION AS TO WHY I DID NOT USE OR RESPOND TO YOUR IDEA-

It's pretty simple really... I looked into BOTH of the software ( Microangelo on Display & IcoFX2 ). The reason I chose IcoFX, is because it was simple from the beginning and though it may look like a long process, it was VERY EASY and I now may do it to any future pc I get WITH EASE. Not only was it simple and the first choice I tried (as it was the FIRST to be listed, with respects), AFTER comparing software and the sites that provided them, it was a simple choice. You see, at the website for Microangelo on Display, they did not say whether or not I was going to be able to complete this task using their "Trial Version". Nor did they state how long the trial version is or if you remove the software does it then remove the effects? So I then looked into it and realized that it does seem that this software is what keeps the icons modified or gone, so if you remove it, the icons will come back. Because it seems to me (and you may correct me if I am wrong) that this software DOES NOT permanently modify windows files and if it does, they do not state that it does or about the trial at all as you may see here>Free Icon Editor Downloads... At the IcoFX website, they describe how long the trial is (30 days which is plenty and can be installed on many pc's) and what it will do on and off trial, plus V and cupper already described that for us well. Also that the other software needed for this process, is free and VERY EASY/FAST to get. So this made things more comfortable, to the fact that I don't have to buy any software or try something that may not work and may remove my floating Icons forever (or in this case the shield). I knew it would be permanent, as I would be creating a new dll file and rebooting it into windows os after already having extracted it out. The process seemed questionable, but it turned out to be very easy and not difficult AT ALL. You give VERY little description on how to do this task with the software YOU listed, that may be a reason most are not responding and turns out there's only about 60,000+ people that are concerned with this WORLD-WIDE. Or it at least appears to be so, we are just some of the few that get annoyed by clutter on or off our desktop, or as some might put it "abnormalities" LOL. Or people may take offense to you referring to them as swine, even before you give them a chance to respect you. So I hope you understand, I'm not trying to be rude here, just hoping to show you what you appear to not see. Thank you for your efforts and time.

Truly,
Trillium

"You shouldn't judge others, until you first judge yourself, then you may find the reasons you choose to judge them were not reasons at all." - Trillium

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
sucklechimp^ You must not have read my post or maybe you don't know how to read, or understand what I've said. No one needs to do anything except ignore ignorant people like you, I surely don't need to get over anything. I was trying to post instructions on how to do it the other way and you two want to ignorantly act as if I didn't consider your crap idea, I already did it my way so deal with it or cry like the baby you are acting like. The reason I posted, is so that people who WANT to do it the other way, they will know how to completely. I was trying to help people that are not ignorant like you, not post to get your pathetic feed-back. Your "on display" is crap in my opinion and DOESN'T completely remove icons for good, I ALREADY POSTED THIS IF YOU KNOW HOW TO READ OR EVEN DID READ MY ENTIRE POST. Plus if you took the time to read or knew how to, then you would see that I said I posted the info so that it would be complete instructions. Also, because that was the first thing I tried, as it was the first thing posted. Get a life and or an education. Your ignorant remarks without even knowing what your talking about, just shows how immature and un-educated you really are.

Trillium

PS: David... I see you edited your posts to remove the offensive talk, but you did not respond to what I said, hmmm... Maybe trying to make me look bad... That's ok, I'm sure people that read this whole thread will see what is the best route for them, I'm not here to try and make myself seem better than others. You both should see this, I was trying to help people out and you are trying to out do me or make me look like I'm doing anything but helping people like me, maybe you and sucklechimp should get over yourselves. Thanks for completely wasting my time with things I already expressed my opinion about though, it really shows how much you are paying attention to anyone but yourselves, also says a lot about your intelligence level. >)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
sucklechimp^ You must not have read my post or maybe you don't know how to read, or understand what I've said. No one needs to do anything except ignore ignorant people like you, I surely don't need to get over anything. I was trying to post instructions on how to do it the other way and you two want to ignorantly act as if I didn't consider your crap idea, I already did it my way so deal with it or cry like the baby you are acting like. The reason I posted, is so that people who WANT to do it the other way, they will know how to completely. I was trying to help people that are not ignorant like you, not post to get your pathetic feed-back. Your "on display" is crap in my opinion and DOESN'T completely remove icons for good, I ALREADY POSTED THIS IF YOU KNOW HOW TO READ OR EVEN DID READ MY ENTIRE POST. Plus if you took the time to read or knew how to, then you would see that I said I posted the info so that it would be complete instructions. Also, because that was the first thing I tried, as it was the first thing posted. Get a life and or an education. Your ignorant remarks without even knowing what your talking about, just shows how immature and un-educated you really are.

Trillium

PS: David... I see you edited your posts to remove the offensive talk, but you did not respond to what I said, hmmm... Maybe trying to make me look bad... That's ok, I'm sure people that read this whole thread will see what is the best route for them, I'm not here to try and make myself seem better than others. You both should see this, I was trying to help people out and you are trying to out do me or make me look like I'm doing anything but helping people like me, maybe you and sucklechimp should get over yourselves. Thanks for completely wasting my time with things I already expressed my opinion about though, it really shows how much you are paying attention to anyone but yourselves, also says a lot about your intelligence level. >)

You just sound like a psycho now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Psycho ? Oh no !!!

[video=youtube;dYDxxHrlmUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYDxxHrlmUg&amp;feature=player_detailpage[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
@sucklechimp

^sucklechimp

Coming from an ignorant retard, I wouldn't be surprised if I sound like a psycho. I was trying to help people that wanted to do this the way I did and you are just wasting your time trying to attack me, have fun making yourself look dumb, If you were around to see everything that was originally posted then maybe you could try to comprehend that. I simply responded to both of your ignorant reply's and did it professionally, you just sound like a ignorant retarded child. Go home to mommy and let people respond that are actually doing something with there life. You should just kill yourself, it's pathetic to see you and people like you, try to understand the world. How's that for psycho, chump!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
Back