Clicking through apps to the left side of the screen?

eternal70200

The left side of the screen is the hub for apps and app-switching and all that nonsense, but I can't use the left side of my screen in games. I can't scroll in any RTS using my mouse on the left side and if I click, it switching to the home screen and takes the focus off my screen. In some first person shooters, if I look too far left and click the left mouse button, the same thing happens. I don't mind having the metro UI, but I want it disabled in certain apps. Anyone figure this out?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Turning Metro UI off per-user:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RPEnabled set to 0
Then log off and back in.

Then for the rest of the system, login UI, etc:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RPEnabled set to 0
Restart.

No changing DLLs needed...The registry (and Group Policy) is the supported way.

This Works

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I don't want Metro UI disabled, I just don't want to click through programs onto the app-switch on the left side of the screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I don't want Metro UI disabled, I just don't want to click through programs onto the app-switch on the left side of the screen.
I know how you feel, this becomes very annoying in those critical moments.
Surely there is a registry entry somewhere? Unless it's native to the metro interface, in which case it can't be disabled.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Dev Preview x64
    CPU
    i7 950 3.06GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Rampage III
    Memory
    G Skill 4GB DDR3 2000MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX570 1.25GB DDR5