• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Clicking through apps to the left side of the screen?

The left side of the screen is the hub for apps and app-switching and all that nonsense, but I can't use the left side of my screen in games. I can't scroll in any RTS using my mouse on the left side and if I click, it switching to the home screen and takes the focus off my screen. In some first person shooters, if I look too far left and click the left mouse button, the same thing happens. I don't mind having the metro UI, but I want it disabled in certain apps. Anyone figure this out?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

Reymaker

Turning Metro UI off per-user:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RPEnabled set to 0
Then log off and back in.

Then for the rest of the system, login UI, etc:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RPEnabled set to 0
Restart.

No changing DLLs needed...The registry (and Group Policy) is the supported way.
This Works

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

Avalon

Away for a bit
Australia

I don't want Metro UI disabled, I just don't want to click through programs onto the app-switch on the left side of the screen.
I know how you feel, this becomes very annoying in those critical moments.
Surely there is a registry entry somewhere? Unless it's native to the metro interface, in which case it can't be disabled.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Dev Preview x64
    CPU
    i7 950 3.06GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Rampage III
    Memory
    G Skill 4GB DDR3 2000MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX570 1.25GB DDR5