Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
If I saw a crappy movie, I wouldn't be taking it out on the theater, I'd be taking it out on the movie.

There have been SEVERAL reasons for turning the start menu into a Start Screen, certain people just don't want to interpret it, analyze it, explore it, test it, evaluate it, and/or use it.

Of course. The only issue is that those reasons are there to help Microsoft solve their business problem, not users' problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
If I saw a crappy movie, I wouldn't be taking it out on the theater, I'd be taking it out on the movie.

There have been SEVERAL reasons for turning the start menu into a Start Screen, certain people just don't want to interpret it, analyze it, explore it, test it, evaluate it, and/or use it.

Of course. The only issue is that those reasons are there to help Microsoft solve their business problem, not users' problems.
Depending on the user, it does.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I jumped into the Windows 8 world feet first and I have to say I love it. I'm a freelance web designer, web developer and illustrator so its safe to say I use my computer as a tool to pay my mortgage. So far, I'm loving Windows 8 and I haven't noticed any sort of impact on my productivity. To be fair, before I decided to upgrade to Windows 8 I spent a fair amount of time on EightForums so I could learn the basics and educate myself with what not to do.

I don't understand why people hate the Start Screen because I find it's easier to access my favorite programs and more intuitive then the classic Start Screen ever was. In fact, I never used that horrible excuse of a program called the Windows Start Menu. The Start menu was small, confusing and required a rubbish ton of clicks just to get where I wanted to go. When I expressed this concern people would tell me to just pin my favorites to the Start Menu and it would solve my problem, unfortunately the pinned area was too small for all of my favorite apps so I stopped using it.

Because I never like or used the Start Menu I became dependent on custom taskbar toolbars. But now, with the advent of the Start Screen I can simply hit the Windows key on my keyboard and be taken to a large, graphical list of all of my favorite apps. Essentially, in my world, the Windows Start Screen is nothing more then a larger, more intuitive classic Windows Start Menu.

I love Windows 8 and the Start Screen -- it's AWESOME!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
The Start menu was small, confusing and required a rubbish ton of clicks just to get where I wanted to go.

I don't understand what's so confusing about clicking on a plain-as-day visible icon neatly tucked in the lower left corner of the screen that then shows you a list of choices, with "Programs" clearly presented that then shows you a list of application icons to select or folders to drill down to less commonly used programs.

For very commonly used programs, I save myself 2 clicks and just use the quick launch icons at the bottom of the screen, or the hidden RocketDock app bar that is off to the left of my screen. But for those programs I don't use as often, just a few extra clicks to get to them is no big hassle. The mouse is a very efficient user interface device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    AMD
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    RADEON
It's really not bad at all. People just like to complain or unwilling to learn a new way of using windows.

I understand that elderly people find it difficult to adjust, and for them, the plethora of start menu apps solve the problem quite easily.

It's a pleasure to use windows 8. I have no problems with it, now that I have set everything up to my liking. Maybe Microsoft should have kept a start menu option, but it's a non-issue at this point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
In five years when touch enabled PCs are a larger part of the whole OS share, what can be superficially skewered as a "flawed design" will be a necessity.

I might agree with you, but it is still 2013 not 2018, and very few users are lucky enough to have a touch screen while there are still others who do not want one. With that in mind, designing an OS that caters specifically to a very small fraction of your user base does not make much sense..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Check out these poll results related to start menu. Do some voting or revoting if you want, of course. I am not vouching for the quality of any of the polls, well, except maybe one. :D

Poll 1

Poll 2

Poll 3

Poll 4

Poll 5

Poll 6

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
I understand that elderly people find it difficult to adjust, and for them, the plethora of start menu apps solve the problem quite easily.

Exactly how do understand that elderly people have difficulty adjusting?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's