Classic Shell for Windows 8

The [setting for classic start menu 3.5.0] Pinning has been removed from the taskbar.
When I start PC, pop-up screen [setting for classic start menu 3.5.0] want to prevent it.
I want to only start button.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
@NiFu, it is recommended that you still do not disable the service. You should keep the service enabled and still additionally add it to the startup till the next version arrives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows
    Other Info
    I do the testing and give feedback on User Experience and ideas for Classic Shell.
Hi @IVO & XPCLIENT.
Please tell me how to configure it.
Q:
The [setting for classic start menu 3.5.0] Pinning has been removed from the taskbar.
When I start PC, pop-up screen [setting for classic start menu 3.5.0] want to prevent it.
I want to only start button.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I installed the clasic shell on w8 It installs OK said:
I have the same problem. But I have placed it as an icon in the metro menu. After I have started my computer and arrived at the Metro screen, I select it as the next option and so go to the desktop, with the start menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
@esd837 we are unable to understand what you are saying or what you want to do. In Start Menu settings -> All settings -> Start button tab, you can enable or disable the bottom left corner's Start popup. If you want only the Orb without the menu, go to the Controls tab and set everything to open "Windows Start Menu". Or explain better what you want to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows
    Other Info
    I do the testing and give feedback on User Experience and ideas for Classic Shell.
On Windows 8, there is an issue with the current version of the Start menu starting up every time at startup reliably. Ivo has fixed it in 3.5.1.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows
    Other Info
Will fix it or has fixed it. I believe I have the latest version? (3.5.0)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
I'm sorry, I believe there's a language barrier here. Maybe you are using an automated translation software that doesn't do a very good job.

I still do not understand what you are trying to say. So let's wait for the next version and see if it works better for you. It will include some fixes, which may have some relevance to what you are saying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Ivo,

I have found the problem.

Windows Defender/MSE /whatever they call it now.

It thrashes about for a couple of minutes after booting up.

It is during that time CS computer menu causes explorer freezes/crashes.

I turned Defender off.

Problem solved.

The HD is not a quiet one - I can hear Defender thrashing dementedly around. I can also see ram use in TM up to about 750mb during that time - then it settles to around 400mb.

People used to complain of something like that in Vista - I never had that problem with Vista - maybe because I never had Defender on.

No problem in Windows7 - I am using Avast there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I think he is getting some sort of pop up or menu from Classic Shell appearing when he first gets to the desktop.

Like this:

290b049c-9fbb-467c-ab29-22093419d46a.jpg

I am not sure if he has pinned the Settings for Classic start menu to the Metro start screen - then he clicks that to get to desktop - that might explain it.

Sorry - I have no Japanese - it is not the same as Chinese.

BTW - CS working great for me now. The problem was MSE :D #64 other thread

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yeah, that's a possibility. But it's hard to know from the screenshot, since it may be used to illustrate that the "Disable the start screen popup" setting has been checked.

Good to know that you got your crash figured out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
@ivo xpclient siw2
I put a "classic start menu" shortcut to the startup.
I has been resolved.
Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Next question
Startup win8cp, I want to enter the desktop
MetroUI is not needed.
Login password has not been set.
I believe all people the same thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Back