Classic Shell for Windows 8

I don't know what you mean by "special objects", but if you want to create a button to open the current file, simply use %2.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Thanks Ivo

I don't know what you mean by "special objects", but if you want to create a button to open the current file, simply use %2.
I considered that, but then I thought "Nah, that's too simple." :eek:

I noticed statements like, $Toolbar.NewFolder.
I assumed that it must be a "special object" (or command) like in VB.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
No, that means to look up the Toolbar.NewFolder text in the L10N file for localization. It is only for the label or the tooltip.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Which skin are you using btw IownAmoneyPit and can you share it ? :) Is it Smoked Glass? Can't be because on my system, the "tint" of the glass is different.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows
    Other Info
    I do the testing and give feedback on User Experience and ideas for Classic Shell.
Which skin are you using btw IownAmoneyPit and can you share it ? :) Is it Smoked Glass? Can't be because on my system, the "tint" of the glass is different.

Yes xpclient you guessed right I am using the Smoked Glass Skin if you navigate to Settings > Classic Start Menu & under "Skins" tab un-tick Reduce Glass Color & under "Menu Look" tab un-tick Enable Menu Shadow and I also chose Clear Type Font.

sm.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 2
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    My own abomination, I call it the Money Pit
    CPU
    Intel i7 2600K @ 3.40 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth P67
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Dual Channel Kit
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING 10GB GDDR6X
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek or Nvidia High Definition Audio (HDMI)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung JS7000 50" SUHD TV or Samsung 27" FHD 60Hz 8ms GTG VA LED Smart Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 x Samsung 870 EVO 250 GB SSD (Windows 10 Pro), 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD (Windows 10 Pro)
    PSU
    Corsair AX860 - 860W Modular Power Supply
    Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Case - Black
    Cooling
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech K830 Illuminated Living-Room Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Anywhere 2S Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10/100/1000 Mbps capable
    Browser
    (Primary) Latest Firefox version & Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    ESET Internet Security
    Other Info
    LG Super Multi Blue Internal Blu-ray Disk Rewriter - BH10LS30
    6x2 HDMI Switcher (6 inputs, 2 outputs) so I can send the output of my Cable Box, Roku, or any my 4 computers to either my TV or Monitor separately or simultaneously.
Why do all these Start Menu replacement programs look to replicate the Classic Start Menu visual only? I'm playing around with this trying to get it to look and act like Windows 7's Start Menu. And I don't want 95-XP style pictures next to each 'special item' like Documents and Videos which are on the right column of the Start Menu when you tick the 'two columns' option which makes it look more like Win7. Nor do I want the Search box to be situated where the Shutdown button is for Win7's Start Menu.

Not only that, but why do they not seem to be able to correctly show recently used programs, or not able to pin programs to the Start Menu the same way Windows 7 does? I really hope someone can replicate the WINDOWS 7 Start Menu, with the 'recently used/pinned-to-start-menu programs' showing. I suppose I'm OK to use the Start Screen, but it will probably be a larger adjustment for my family.

I've had to take-away much of the Win7 Start Menu chrome, because I cant find a way to remove the 95-XP style icons next to the items. But the Search box won't search my files at all, which is highly frustrating. I've had a play-around with ClassicShell for a while now, and with some trial and error I have found out how to replicate Win7's pin items feature (whereby it sorts the pinned items by name, rather than numbers). It doesn't make the Start Menu huge when you increase the recently used programs number though, I use it this way so that my pinned programs are at the top and a fairly large list of recently used programs are underneath those.

win7vscs.png

ClassicShell also seems to be actively interfering with the recently-used-programs being displayed, because they will not show up in CS's Start Menu, or Win7's Start Menu. I have the option in CS to show recently used programs on; and the same option turned on in Win7's Start Menu & Taskbar Properties menu. CS will only display them if I type into the search box it provides and select it there; but in general Win7 should be displaying the recently used programs whenever I open them.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Few notes:

1) Win7 and Classic Shell use different systems for tracking recently used programs.

Win7 has a database of the EXEs that were started (from the start menu or otherwise), how long ago, and how many times. Since in many cases there are multiple shortcuts that use the same EXE (imagine 5 BAT files, all counted as CMD.EXE or 5 text files all counted as Notepad.exe), the start menu has to guess which shortcut to show for each EXE in the database. It has to search all shortcuts in the start menu and find the one that looks most promising. This is a slow and error-prone process, and I also believe parts of it are patented.

Classic Shell uses a much simpler and much faster system. It has a database of the last 20 shortcuts started from the classic start menu. The downside is that I don't track programs started from outside of the start menu. The upside is that the shortcut I display is always accurate. It can be a document, a BAT file, or EXE. Classic Shell can't use the Win7 system because people often attach huge directories to the start menu (like Computer), and searching through all of them for the right shortcut is prohibitively slow. The Win7 menu doesn't have that problem because you can't attach the Computer folder to it.

2) Classic Shell should not interfere with the Win7 frequently used programs. If you have any evidence supporting this, I'd like to hear it.

3) To remove the icon from an item you have to type "none" as the icon. Note that the empty space will still be there

4) Classic Shell doesn't search files because it is slow. You can hook external search programs like AgentRansack to it if you want to search for files from the start menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
2) Whatever was interfering with Windows7's frequently/recently used programs showing up in the Start Menu fixed itself. This wasn't Classic Shell's fault, my bad.

4) Are you saying I can use Agent Ransack to display search results for files inside the "Classic Shell Start Menu"? I attempted to use Agent Ransack, but it just launched a new Agent Ransack window, rather than inter-link with Classic Shell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
4) It opens another window. Just like in the Windows 7 menu when you click on "See more results" - it opens a browser window. There is no standard for search applications, so there's no way to capture the results of such application and show them in the menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
● "Classic Shell" as basis
● "Windows 7 Skin" by askvg / Vishal for Windows 7 look
● German translation, extended and customized by me

Result:
Classic-Shell-Skin-Fertig.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
When you say "the app is on the list", which app do you mean, and which list? Is the process (which one?) in the process list? Is the service in the service list? Is the component selected in the installer's list?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
classicshell

When you say "the app is on the list", which app do you mean, and which list? Is the process (which one?) in the process list? Is the service in the service list? Is the component selected in the installer's list?

Hi
Ican find it on the uninstall list
Idont know what service to look for
TNX

My Computer

System One

• OS
    xp,w7, w8
Back