Classic Shell for Windows 8

I have a Windows 8 phone and it's brilliant - but for a PC the Metro environment just doesn't work (for me) and apart from where I'm forced to use it, it's all but dead to me. For tablets and phones great, for anything else... ooooh dear. It's a clunky integration and makes Microsoft look a bit foolish.

The only gadget I used was the CPU clock which I really miss, but now I use Task Manager minimised, so I don't even need to hit the desktop button - but yeh, I do miss the clock.

Why would Microsoft think an OS (that really is superb) on a 4" touch-screen device would transpose well to a full size PC? It didn't work the other way around. Seriously, it makes no sense;)!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion
    Browser
    Firefox
Why would Microsoft think an OS (that really is superb) on a 4" touch-screen device would transpose well to a full size PC? It didn't work the other way around. Seriously, it makes no sense
I like win8.1.1 the way it is, big app icons and all, maybe because I don't own a tablet or smart phone ,and I can compare the 2 ,I don't know ,but I just like win8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Let me ask it again, more slowly, will the classic shell start menu allow metro apps in the side-by-side configuration as shown in the Twitter picture once the functionality is released by MS?

To help, I'll explain the possible answers:

Yes -- I have knowledge that classic shell will support this configuration when the functionality is released by MS
No -- I'm certain that this configuration is not possible with classic shell active
Don't Know --
The question makes no sense -- what I guess you were trying to say above. If so please explain so I don't have to keep asking this question.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I doubt Classic Shell would copy another style, they're about supplying those that enjoyed the 7 version. BUT - I wonder if Microsoft new start menu will be customisable so as to imitate the old 7 menu. In a way I hope not, because now I would feel like it's being unfaithful to the brilliant Classic Shell.

I certainly wouldn't use the start menu as shown in those Twitter pics. Poor Microsoft, they never get it quite right - there's always something. But I suppose you really can't please all of the people all of the time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavillion
    Browser
    Firefox
I've just gone to change the view of photo thumbnails with Classic Shell in Windows Explorer; but it's gone!

Any ideas. I've gone through the settings via the start button, but unless I'm missing something (I may be rushing), the option is not there.

:confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavillion
    Browser
    Firefox
I've just gone to change the view of photo thumbnails with Classic Shell in Windows Explorer; but it's gone!
How do you want to change the photo thumbnails? Classic Shell doesn't have any features that are directly related to photos.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavillion
    Browser
    Firefox
How do you want to change the photo thumbnails? Classic Shell doesn't have any features that are directly related to photos.

Sorry, I missed your post somehow :what:.

In the bar I used to have different view buttons and I could quickly press the one I wanted. Great feature. I still have the options:

Shell Toolbar.PNG

BUT - No toolbar (no matter how hard I search for the relevant option!).

Shell Toolbar 2.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavillion
    Browser
    Firefox

Blimey, you've replied to another thread I'm in on the same topic (I've doubled up somehow :mad:) with some in-depth advice. So I'll try that.

Many many thanks for helping.

EDITED: Many thanks Ivo, problem solved via the other thread, with your great help.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavillion
    Browser
    Firefox
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    CPU
    intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    24 Gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5670
    Sound Card
    Internal
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Flat Screen HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 850 250 GB SSD
    2 Seagate internal 1TB
    WD external 3TB USB 3
    WD external 2TB USB 3
    PSU
    550-W
    Case
    Mid
    Cooling
    Fans
    Keyboard
    US USB
    Mouse
    USB
    Internet Speed
    3.84 Mbps Download .44 Mbps Upload
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    MS Defender
    Other Info
    Liteon DVD wrighter
    Liteon BD drive
    Monoprice Tablet
just had my first spate of issues with classic shell a few days ago on a new lenovo z410 w/8.1. I was having issues with the first run [after restart or cold boot] of apparently anything that I had pinned to the desktop taskbar: control panel, IE, Explorer, Chrome.
it was strange - clicking any of those for the first time would give a visual feedback - a quick 'flash' but the app would fail to start.
spent hours chasing everything else, then finally uninstalled classic shell and the problems vanished.
dunno what the real underlying issue was

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1, Win 10P, Win7-all, RIP XPP, 'droid 2.2, 2.3,4.x, 5..IOS,
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    many: E5440, 430 G1, E45, G4-1117DX, X120E, DC7600, X83VB-X2, NC10, Droids, Galaxy,
    CPU
    too many
    Motherboard
    ditto
    Memory
    ditto
    Graphics Card(s)
    ditto
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
just had my first spate of issues with classic shell a few days ago on a new lenovo z410 w/8.1. I was having issues with the first run [after restart or cold boot] of apparently anything that I had pinned to the desktop taskbar: control panel, IE, Explorer, Chrome.
it was strange - clicking any of those for the first time would give a visual feedback - a quick 'flash' but the app would fail to start.
spent hours chasing everything else, then finally uninstalled classic shell and the problems vanished.
dunno what the real underlying issue was
What version of Classic Shell are you using? Did the problem occur with older versions of Classic Shell? Do you have Update 1 for Win 8.1?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
good question. I think when I was having the issue was about 2 weeks ago, and I doubt that Update 1 was installed at that point.
I've never had any issues that I know of with Classic Shell on 8 previously.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    many: E5440, 430 G1, E45, G4-1117DX, X120E, DC7600, X83VB-X2, NC10, Droids, Galaxy,
    CPU
    too many
    Motherboard
    ditto
    Memory
    ditto
    Graphics Card(s)
    ditto
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
Are you talking about two different machines, one that works fine with Classic Shell, and a new one that was having this problem from the start? Or is it the same computer that was working in the past and now doesn't?

Also, if you wait a minute after logging in, and then start the programs, do they work?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
multiple machines in the past. the new z410 had issues from the beginning [that is, issues with classic shell. other issues were typical setup things]

it occurred to me after uninstalling and seeing the system 'normal' finally, that there are probably options in Classic Shell to NOT takeover management of the task bar. as it is going into an office production environment, I just thought it best to leave alone that which seemed to create issues

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    too many
    Motherboard
    ditto
    Memory
    ditto
    Graphics Card(s)
    ditto
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
Where to download skins for classical shell?

Where to download skins for classical shell?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung N/B SERIES 3 350V4X-SOCTH
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 7670M 1gb