Child device not showing up on Family Safety Page

ualdriver

Hello-

I am the parent, with 2 "child" laptops I want to monitor. Both children are showing up as "kids" on the Family Safety home page. However, only two laptops are showing up under "Applies to these devices" (mine and one child). I have tried following the steps on the Microsoft.com help pages, but I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong because the device is not showing up.

What I did was sign onto my (missing) child's laptop with his user name and password, then set that laptop as a "child" laptop. I thought that by doing this, Family Safety would automatically start reporting to the Family Safety web page all of his activity.

I'm not sure I understand how a child can appear under the "kids" on family safety, but not his device (laptop). Can someone guide me through the process so that I can see his device on the Family Safety page?

Thanks for your help in advance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Yoga 11s
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8 GB
Did I stump the forum crowd?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Yoga 11s
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8 GB
Hi,

I believe you need to have the 'parent' Microsoft account as the admin on that laptop. Once you log in from the laptop with the parent account, then the device will appear in your family safety webpage.

Hope that helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Hi,

I believe you need to have the 'parent' Microsoft account as the admin on that laptop. Once you log in from the laptop with the parent account, then the device will appear in your family safety webpage.

Hope that helps.

OK, I will give that a try when I get home.

Just to be clear, when the computer boots up it's going to ask for my son's password to his computer, then I go into the settings somehow and change the computer to my sign in?

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Yoga 11s
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8 GB
Hi,

Just to be clear, when the computer boots up it's going to ask for my son's password to his computer, then I go into the settings somehow and change the computer to my sign in?

Thanks

A couple of things need to occur. On the computer, you need to have two accounts. One is a parent account that has administrative level access and the other is a child's account, your son's.

If you have only one account, you can go to User Accounts and create a new account that is your (parent's) account. This account should be the Microsoft Account that you want the PC to appear in the Family Safety website.

Once you do that, your child's account will appear at the family safety website.

Hope that helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Hi,

Thanks

A couple of things need to occur. On the computer, you need to have two accounts. One is a parent account that has administrative level access and the other is a child's account, your son's.

If you have only one account, you can go to User Accounts and create a new account that is your (parent's) account. This account should be the Microsoft Account that you want the PC to appear in the Family Safety website.

Once you do that, your child's account will appear at the family safety website.

Hope that helps.

OK, sounds good. When I get home in a couple of days, I'll give that a try and report back. Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Yoga 11s
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8 GB
Hi,

Thanks

Hope that helps.

Kimck99-

One post and you were able to explain to me what a Microsoft Engineer on the Microsoft website was unable to figure out. All I had to do was create an administrator account on my kid's computer, add my kid as a child, and Windows 8 took care of the rest. The computer is showing up on the Family Safety website now and reporting as desired.

Thanks very much for the help. Good job on your first post :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Yoga 11s
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8 GB