What's new

Can't see Tablet on Network

rasmasyean

The tablet is on "Private" profile with "Turn on network discovery" checked. I presume that the setting that should make it visible under other PC's File Explorerer>Network tree.

But no PC on the network can see it. Though the tablet can see all the others. However, it does exhibit unexpected behavior, like requireing User/Pass when clicking on some computers (which have public folders shared), but I feel solving the first problem might fix these symptoms.

This is "Windows 8.1 with Bing" if that makes a difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS

KYHI

Pro User
go to control panel - network and sharing - left pane - change advanced sharing - all networks - turn off password required and turn on puplic sharing..

under private network - turn on file and printer sharing and network discovery..

public both options are off

you may have to reboot other pc's to see tablet.. Usually after changing sharing, I reboot all pc's on network..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB

strollin

Old Guys Rule!
VIP Member
Pro User
Do you have any folders on the tablet shared?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell S2817Q 28", 15.6"
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160, 1366x768 (laptop)
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data on Desktop, 512GB ssd for laptop, 128GB SSD tablet, 500GB ssd laptop
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    120Mbps/6Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    MSE on desktop, Defender on laptop
    Other Info
    Retired after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant.

rasmasyean

I have all those settings. The reboots seemed to solve the "Tablet not showing" problem. Now I can see the public folders in the Tablet.
However from the Tablet POV, some computers on the network still seem to ask for User/Pass when clicking on them.
The stange thing is that the popup says "Domain: <Tablet Name>" instead of the Workgroup I set all the computers to...if that even matters.

My Computer

System One

• OS

rasmasyean

OK. I found a pattern.

Windows 8 computer (MS account) -> accessing another Windows 8 computer (that doesn't have same account) prompts for user/pass

Windows 8 computer (local account) -> accessing any computer (Windows 8 / 7 /Vista) doesn't prompt

This seems kinda of bizzare to me, but is there some new feature in Windows 8 that might cause this?

My Computer

System One

• OS

KYHI

Pro User
I use a local account (thus don't have that problem) I sign into the apps as needed (pretty much never)...

Glad you found the answer.. Once again it is Big Brother watching you.. Only proves why I don't use the MS account..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB

rasmasyean

So are you suggesting that when logged into an MS account, you're essentially on Microsoft's network?
So perhaps Windows 8 is stepping into separating your network from MS's cloud or something like that?

My Computer

System One

• OS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)