Can't ping my external IP

RBS

for years I had Comcast with Arris modem that I used in bridge mode with a Netgear R6300 router
everything worked great no problems

however recently switched over to CenturyLink optic fiber network and using their CenturyLink Modem ZyXelC2100z
I could not get the bridge modem to work with the Netgear router, so removed the router and just using the new modem (it is AC, so no biggie)

This setup has the optic fiber going to an ONT box which converts the optics to digital and connects to the modem
all of my networking works fine, except for one thing

if I go to 'what is my IP' and it gives me xxx.xx.xxx.xxx address
when I goto command prompt and try to C:>ping xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
I get 'request timed out' error

I can ping other ips, name servers no problem, just not my internet ip address

I have an Xampp server set up (that I want to reach remotely), I can connect using localhost, internal ip, but unable to access it from a remote site

I have tried to hunt the problem down, but am drawing a blank
any suggestions appreciated

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
If you pinging local on the lan you wont be able to ping the external ip you have to do it from a device outside the lan. A lot of routers by default come with a setting of not accepting pings from the net to prevent DOS attacks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro
[FONT=&amp]
If you pinging local on the lan you wont be able to ping the external ip you have to do it from a device outside the lan. A lot of routers by default come with a setting of not accepting pings from the net to prevent DOS attacks
[/FONT]Not sure I follow you...

I can ping my internet address from another terminal outside of the LAN. But I can't connect to my Xampp server. I used to be able to ping anything. You can test yours, you should be able to ping any internal IP and external IP. I just tested it on another network machine, at an organization I volunteer for, and every thing pings, NP.

Just not sure of the ONT box thing, if that is has anything to do with it. I have contacted CenturyLink but they aren't much help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
Back