Can't Join Homegroup

Those extra entries is what you end up with when you create a Homegroup, I have them also.

The important thing is that the default security settings are still set as default, you should see System with full control, User name with full control showing email of User, then it should say Home user then your user name but with no check marks, then Admin User name with full control.

I have Everyone, SYSTEM, MyName(e-mail address) and Administrators(UserName\Administrator), all with full control. The "Account Unknowns" have no permissions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus CM3870
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Motherboard
    Asus P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    16 GB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
    Sound Card
    Integrated HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns-G 28" HZ28IH
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Vector 256GB
    Seagate 2TB ST2000DM001
    Internet Speed
    5 Mbps
Defeated

OK. I give up. I'm defeated.

I've been unable to get networking working between my Win 8 laptop and Win 8 Pro desktop.

In my ultimate frustration, I finally called Microsoft tech support. They initially said that they couldn't help me because ASUS installed Win 8 on on my laptop. After I pushed the issue, the tech support person agreed to help and took remote control of my computer but she couldn't get it working either. (I sensed that I knew more about Windows than this tech support person did!) I asked to be referred to a Level II tech but was refused "because ASUS installed Win on on my laptop". I spoke to a Manager but they remained uncooperative I was advised to call ASUS.

I called ASUS and was initially told that they don't support networking or software. They only support their hardware. Again, I pushed the issue and they agreed to help. Their tech support person spent about an hour on the phone with me but we still couldn't get the 2 Win 8 computers networked.

On my network, I have 2 Win XP machines, a WDTV media server, a Win 8 Pro desktop and a Win 8 laptop. Networking (through the Workgroup) works perfectly between all machines except between the two Win 8 machines! I am unable to establish this networking either through the HomeGroup or through the WorkGroup.

In my searching, I have found others who are having the same problem.

Now, my only networking solution is to transfer files from one of the Win 8 machines to a Win XP machine and then from the XP machine to the other Win 8 machine. Really sophisticated - isn't it! However, I still won't be able to print from the laptop.

Geesh! Another reason to hate Win 8!

Nonetheless, thank-you very much to Chev65 and Peter2 for attempting to help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus CM3870
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Motherboard
    Asus P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    16 GB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
    Sound Card
    Integrated HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns-G 28" HZ28IH
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Vector 256GB
    Seagate 2TB ST2000DM001
    Internet Speed
    5 Mbps
I had a similar problem - my two laptops were happily sharing on the homegroup, but when I tried to add my new PC it would detect the homegroup, I'd enter the password, it would spin for a minute then die every time with "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network".

I fixed it by disabling the built-in Windows 8 firewall as per this thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Back