Can't boot to USB...?

Innotime2

I tried messing with the Bios as much as possible. Nothing. I am 100% certain. The HDD and USB work, same with USB ports. They all worked hours before trying to install W8 and tested the HDD and USB on another laptop.

Laptop HP Envy 15

Installing Windows 8.1 x64.

I have a feeling it's some kind of setting or something stupid!

I press f9 upon boot, select the USB and it shows a HP logo with a small circle showing that it's loading... then just a blank screen, no cursor or anything.

Not sure if it matters but the HP I am installing on only has usb3.0 ports. Does that make a difference? *****

I need someone to please break down every step.

Example:

Set Bios to Legacy or Uefi?
Disable Secure Boot?
When copying the W8 to USB should I do NTFS or Fat32?
Does the way I copy to USB matter since all USB ports on the HP are 3.0?

Please help, Very frustrating since I'm sure all parts are working and this was just working hours beforehand.

Thank You!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
When you boot your PC normally (into OS) do you get an OEM logo or a windows logo ??
As you are booting USB via UEFI

Set BOIS to default settings
And USB should be Fat32
Secure Boot enabled or disabled , not really matter..
As UEFI booting it appears

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Now it's opposite, No Hard Drive is being detected when I hit f9 for boot menu options. Now I can boot to W8 usb but I get the no drivers loaded when the HDD selection box is up. I don't understand what the heck could have happened. It was just working fine a few hours before it turned to crap. Then i put in a hdd with w7 on it, and put back in my hdd with w8 and all of a sudden it's not being recognized?

I just bought a new HDD to be safe. So I now have 2 HDD's that I know work as they both work in another HP laptop I have. They just aren't recognized on the HP Envy.

I tried taking out cmos to reset everything and it changed nothing.

I press F9 to boot option and only thing listed is USB stick with w8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Currently is the Bios setup for Legacy or UEFI ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Sorry for late update. I ended up buying a new HDD connector and it fixed the issue of no hdd or 3fo.

A new and strange issue. Everything works fine. I installed windows 8.1, it loads fast no issues. However, When I hit f9 upon bootup to select boot options. There is no hdd to select. It's like it's not recognized? Again everything works no problem. I even ran a check hard drive through bios and it recognized and scanned the drive. Just don't see it as an option in Boot menu options upon booting? Is this normal for W8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
seen on : Bluestacks TextNow Photomath I have a different pc, but this helped me get it to boot from USB. But you only have to tap F8 once dude LOL

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    New Inspiron 15 3567 Laptop
    CPU
    2400MHz, DDR4
    Motherboard