Can't boot into windows 8,hard drive locked, can't refresh

Hi,
I had this problem and went to this thread for advice with no luck. I managed to get this problem fixed, I have no idea how it happened and really how what I did fixed it but it did with all my files and setting back, exactly as it was before. I had the exact same errors as OP including the mysterious "locking" of the HDD. I would post screens but I have literally have no idea how I would get this problem again.

Heres how I fixed it:

First, get a live version of Linux Ubuntu 12.10, Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu make sure its not the LTS version and make sure you either burn it to disk or mount to a USB, I mounted to a USB using http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Once you have booted into the live desktop (dont install it remember!) open up GParted (top icon on the left side, search for gparted) and you should notice a key next to your windows partition. If you don't then I don't know if this will help you.

If you see the key (or if you dont, you could try it anyway) open up terminal (same top icon search for terminal) and run the command "sudo umount -a" and hit enter. It should come up with some errors but that's ok. close down terminal.

Next go back to GParted. One of the top icons in GParted lets you refresh the drive (i cant remember which, sorry) hit that and it should refresh the drives status. Now you should see a red explanation mark next to your drive (instead of a key). If you right click your drive and press information, it should come up with lots of error, including one that says something like: try running chkdsk in windows to fix this error, this is good because thats what comes next.

Now of course we haven't got windows to run chkdsk but now if you boot, you should get a different error from the one you did before. dont do a system restore, grab your windows 8 installation disk and load that up. choose your language, then click "repair my pc" go though the settings until you get the command line. you should still get the "X: Sources" thing but thats ok. Run the command "CHKDSK C: /F" Mine came up with no errors so then I ran "CHKDSK D: /F" and that had similar results with no errors.

At first I thought it hadn't worked because of no errors, so I restarted my pc and it booted straight into windows like it did before! I literally have no idea why but it did, its worth ago!

Sorry for the lack of accuracy, I'm not at the PC that had the error right now, otherwise I would give more info. Let me know if this worked for you and if you have any advances.

Cheers,

Tom

tl;dr: Just read it, it might save your PC!

The only one that worked after days of searching and pages of flipping through this forum. Thanks a million.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/ Windows 8/ Ubuntu
If you have a Win7 boot dvd, use the repair option..

Win8 dvd does NOTHING.......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    MS Intellipoint 5 button (love it!)
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
    Avast Free & Malwarebytes
I had a similar issue with CHKDSK crashing and locked my drive. The only way I could get it unlocked, and reformat it to be able to install Windows 8 again (because some files where corrupt and it claimed I had no OS on boot)

Press Shift+F10(or F8 my memory fails me lol) at anytime during the install/repair process or as soon as the Windows 8 DVD loads up to enter the Command Prompt.

Enter the following commands
Code:
DISKPART
DISKPART> list disk
This should list all of your drives, even USB and so on. Find your primary drive normally C, then type
Code:
DISKPART> select disk C: (or whatever your primary drive is)
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Segoe UI]DISKPART> attributes volume clear readonly
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Segoe UI]DISKPART> clean[/FONT][/COLOR]

***This will obviously wipe all data on the disk, and you will have to re-install Windows. But, It worked for my purpose, not sure if it will for yours.*** You may even be able to stop at the "clear readonly" command. And see if you can maybe run a system repair at that point idk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit OEM
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me, Intel Machine.
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3350P
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H
    Memory
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (timing 8-8-8-24, Cas 8)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GTX 650ti
    Sound Card
    VIA VT2021 (on board)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VH242H(primary) ASUS VS Series VS197D(secondary)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080(primary) 1366x768(secondary)
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST3500630NS
    PSU
    TopPower - 800W non-modular (Lesson Learned)
    Case
    NZXT Source 210 Elite Black Steel
    Cooling
    Air, 4 case fans.
    Keyboard
    RAZER Blackwidow Ultimate, Wired Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9x Black 5700dpi (best mouse I have ever owned next to my old Logitech G500)
    Internet Speed
    5.22Mbps Down, 1.05Mbps Up
    Browser
    Chrome 90% of the time. FireFox on occasion, and if I am forced IE.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    This was my first true build from scratch.The PC was built with gaming, and multi-tasking in mind. I tried to get the best parts I could get for under $1,000. The Keyboard was a gift, and the HDD was one I had bought for my old machine. The entire build came out right around $900. Only regret is I didn't get an SSD
:):):):)

After several hours doing everything I could to fix this, I found a solution that worked for ME.

Background:

My computer was running perfectly using Windows 8 installed onto an SSD (Drive C:) and a secondary hard drive as drive D:. My computer was running a bit sluggish yesterday, so I went to reboot, and when I did, I got the error that something was wrong with my installation and Windows needed to repair, (read: do nothing,) which just loaded the automatic repair loop.

I then proceeded to load the internets and tried about 15 different things to get my data back, but the only thing that worked was the following:

1. Unplug the SSD
2. Using the Windows 8 ISO and a USB stick, install Windows 8 onto the D: drive
3. Load into Windows 8
4. Shut Down
5. Plug in SSD
6. Reboot, using the BIOS to select booting ONLY off of the D: drive (the secondary installation)
7. Boot into Windows
8. Open an elevated command prompt, (Windows Key, "cmd", click "run as admin" at bottom of screen)
9. Type CHKDSK C: /f (where "C:" is the letter of the SSD that has stopped functioning
10. Voila.

CHKDSK took about 15 minutes to run, but it fixed whatever was wrong, and I got all my data back.

Yay!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Just this morning I went through this very problem. None of the options on the blue screen worked. So, I powered off my computer and unplugged it for awhile, was about 45 min. Turned it back on and it booted ok. This happened before and I took it to the "geeks" to see what was wrong. I was told that this would keep happening until I upgrade my motherboard and CPU as Win 8 doesn't have the drivers for what I have......???? So now I am researching trying to find out what IS compatible to upgrade too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    other
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self
    CPU
    AMD Athon 64x2 Dual Core 46004 2.41GHz 1.93GB Ram
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA M61P S3 NV GeF6100/nF430
    Memory
    Corsair Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz EPP Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Integrated
    Browser
    IE,Chrome, Firefox
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Premium
Just for the record, I have a 6 year old pavillion dv5 born with Vista, now running W8 Pro with NO ISSUES at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8 Pro 9200
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Y460
    CPU
    Intel core i3 M350 2.27Ghz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I have a much older Dell Precision 370 that started out with XP Home and is now running Windows 8 Pro X64 with no problems.

Never, ever take anything to the "geeks". Their only directive is to make money, if they accidentally help you that's okay too. It will not keep happening.

Get an external hard drive and do image backups of all partitions on your hard drive, and keep them current. If a weird problem like this does happen, boot DBAN (Darick's Boot And Nuke), wipe the drive using autonuke, then restore the drive image.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
After fiddling around with ubuntu and OS booting stuff, I managed to currupt my master boot record before powering down my pc (running windows 8 pro x64)

I booted with the windows 8 disc and none of the options were helpful (same hdd locked problem).

I managed to fix this by running repair (instead of install) from a windows 7 disc - it seems the windows 7 disc can remove the lock.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Yep, thats what I suggest to people all the time.. Win 8 does not want to fix multiboot systems.
You should use WIN7 boot repair when Win8 refuses..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    MS Intellipoint 5 button (love it!)
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
    Avast Free & Malwarebytes
Hi,

...So i turned of my pc, opened the casing and removed the power- and Sata cable from my hdd. With my hdd disconnected i booted up the computer. after a few seconds i shut the pc down again and reinstalled the hdd (putting back the cables connected to it). I booted up again and my hdd was found and windows 8 started up as normal.
This worked for me. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built
    CPU
    Intel Q9650 (3GHz)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 5670
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 X Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
As far as I know, nothing in the thread ever explains exactly what was locking the drive. So if you know, WizCaloifa, what is locking yours, please advise.

But this comes directly for the help section of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology utility. There is a Note with the quote that mentions if you fail to unlock, after 5 tries you will have to turn the power off to your system to reset the counter. It also mentions if you did not set a password, that you need to contact the drive manufacturer, or whomever may have set up a password.

Unlocking Password-Protected Disks
You can unlock a password-protected disk by entering the password which allows you to access data or use that disk to create a volume. The password is usually set up through the system BIOS. Locked disks can be identified with the lock icon appended to them and display a ‘Locked’ status in the disk properties.
1. Under ‘Status’ or ‘Manage’, in the Storage System View, click the disk you want to unlock. The disk properties are now displayed on the left.
2. Click ‘Unlock’.
3. Enter the password, and then click 'Unlock'.

Hi All....Great forum!

I have been reviewing this thread with extreme interest....Purchased a Asus K55A laptop about 6-7 months ago which came with Windows 7 OEM installed...when the Windows 8 (online download came out) installed it without any issues...Complete clean format.
Also purchased a Windows 8 Pro DVD...(Just in case...lol)

I then installed the Windows 8.1 preview, via the Windows store option.. After testing for a 1-2 weeks, I wanted to get back to Windows 8 Pro Media Center...placed the Windows 8 DVD in drive, rebooted....setup started fine, however when attempting to perform a clean install....it too stated 'can not be loaded onto C: (locked) also have a D: (can not install as the drive is locked)....! I must have tried some 10-15 times....rebooting system....finally it then allowed me to perform the Windows 8 Pro clean install on C: !

I do not Intel Rapid Technology utility installed and Windows 8 Bit Locker function is Off....So (completely pissed off/perplexed), I brought the laptop into the Geek Squad/Best Buy explained this scenario to them....They were kind enough to let me leave the laptop with them...to run tests/diagnostics...still under manufacturer warranty....where they (as a test reloaded the OEM Windows 7 OS...then I left them the Windows 8 DVD....man the guy calls me back in two days....."Sir, the same exact scenario happened to them"....All hard drive, motherboard, memory tests were all fine! He was finally able to perform a clean install of Windows 8 Pro after numerous attempts....

I would love to reinstall Windows 8.1 preview again (as Microsoft has been very quick at adding more features and bug fixes with very recent Windows Update....but frankly do not want to go through this nightmare again...lol
If you google this :Locked drives on Windows 8 reinstalls....man you find all kind of threads....where there does not seem to be a 'concrete solution'.....so I feel the OP frustration!
Because I know that if I install the Windows 8.1 Preview (with the recent MS fixes/additional features........that when the RTM version coming out Oct. 17th.....goes live, that I will then have to perform another 'clean install' with my Windows 8 Pro DVD.......before I can update to the RTM Windows 8.1!

Brink, fantastic tutorials!!!! :)

" I suspect what is happening is a poor shutdown of 8 is leaving the drive locked. Booting to an OS unlocks the drive if shutdown correctly. Hopefully we don't see this error again!".....quoted from another frustrating Windows 8 install.....!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center X 64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55A
    CPU
    Intel i5 3rd Generation
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 (WXGA)
Yep, thats what I suggest to people all the time.. Win 8 does not want to fix multiboot systems.
You should use WIN7 boot repair when Win8 refuses..

I used my Windows 7 boot repair. It doesn't even detect my hard drive. So, that was useless.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windos 8 pro
    HP Pavilion dm4-3090se Beats Edition
    CPU
    2.5GHz Intel Core i5-2450M Processor
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Sound Card
    Beats Audio with 2 speakers and a subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    14.0-inch diagonal HD+ (8) Anti-glare LED-backlit display
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    20GB mSATA + 500GB 7200RPM
    Keyboard
    Full-size red backlit keyboard
Just want to say thank you all for trying to help. I think some peoples problems that were mentioned were different than mine. But, I still tried to use the fixes mentioned in the posts. I decided (after a year) to give it another try but still with no luck. I bought a Mac to replace my laptop and I still miss my HP laptop greatly.

I tried the "chkdsk c: /f" and got the error message "Cannot open volume for direct access"

I also downloaded Ubuntu and used the gparted. That didn't work either.

My files are still in the memory because I took it out of my laptop to get important things off. I just don't understand why it can't detect it. Also when I used the gparted there was an exclamation mark symbol, not a locked key symbol next to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windos 8 pro
    HP Pavilion dm4-3090se Beats Edition
    CPU
    2.5GHz Intel Core i5-2450M Processor
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Sound Card
    Beats Audio with 2 speakers and a subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    14.0-inch diagonal HD+ (8) Anti-glare LED-backlit display
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    20GB mSATA + 500GB 7200RPM
    Keyboard
    Full-size red backlit keyboard
satpe, you're probably sick and tired of trying things (!) as I have been for days/weeks trying to resolve the same/similar problem, however I eventually made some progress by doing something I'm not sure is mentioned previously in this thread (sorry if it is, or you have).... changed SATA Operation in BIOS settings from Smart Response Technology to AHCI!!

After doing this, the drive was finally "unlocked" and visible in Recovery mode (boot from W8 DVD, Advanced, Command Prompt, Diskpart, ....) and I could attempt diagnostic and repair actions. [Prior to this, the only visibility I had to the drive was via Ubuntu GParted - this at least allowed me to copy partitions from the "locked" drive to a second HDD, making me more relaxed about my data (not having backed up for a while).] Recovery mode also had another option now - "Exit and Continue to Windows 8" - this failed still ("...problem... repair..." loop), but at least provided hope and did not re-lock the drive.

Upon getting to this point I tried many things as suggested in this thread and others, including bootrec /fix...., bcdboot, chkdsk, etc., all to little avail. I then used Ubuntu GParted to set the boot flag on the W8 partition of the drive (was on Recovery partition) - after this (presumably as a consequence but may not have been) I rebooted and got the usual problem/repair loop but then got a different error saying "Your PC couldn't start properly after multiple tries, the OS on your PC failed to start so it needs to be repaired... you'll need to use recovery tools on installation media... press Enter to try again, F8 for Startup settings". So finally with F8 and F4 I could get into my Windows 8 in Safe Mode! Checked a few things, apps still ran fine, no obvious issues, then inadvertently restarted and could not get back in using Safe Mode or other options (all selected Startup settings options just resulted in another restart). Reset SATA Operation to SRT at one point, but this just cause hangs during restart attempts, so left it at AHCI.

Next from Recovery I tried a System Restore - found I had a restore point only a few days prior to problem first occuring, must ually have been created automatically by Windows Updates. It took a long time (1 hour +) but eventually completed successfully and said click button to restart. I did, but same old problem/repair/restart loop :(. Tried SATA = SRT again, restarted from W8 DVD, but boot/os drive not visible like before, so put it back to AHCI.

Manged to get into Safe Mode again, ran sfc /scannow from command prompt, took a long time, created enormous log file mostly containing events with the words "cannot repair... file is missing...", but did say "found corrupt files but was unable to fix some... file repair changes will take effect after reboot." Restarted, displayed "configuring windows updates" (but seemed to drop out of at only 30%), then back to problem/repair/restart loop :(.

Could not get back into Safe Mode, had enough by now, so decided to try Refresh PC option as last resort before W8 reinstall. After considerable time (but good info being displayed about progress) this worked, and I now have Windows 8 back, though with a long list of "Removed Applications" - lots of work still to be done, but at least it provides a list, with download links on many!

:)

[at some point I will research downside/ramifications of SATA Operation mode change...]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
To rename the partition in paragon (give it a drive letter) , just use C not C:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    12 TB in 6 disks
    PSU
    TX650
    Keyboard
    G15
    Mouse
    Intellimouse 3.0
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbits
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Trend Micro
Just ran into the exact same problem after an update was pushed on 12/10/13. After shut down my primary drive was "locked"

Just before formatting and reinstalling I decided to disconnect my mass storage drives and leave only the SSD containing my OS. After doing this I forgot to change my boot order to the USB drive. Wouldn't you know it? The system booted, finished installing the update, and seemed to work fine. I shut down the system reconnected the extra drives and booted the system. The best I can figure is that the update didn't like my RAID setup. Once the update was completed everything is back to normal.

Just thought I would share the knowledge. Hope this saves someone else the headache of a complete OS reinstall.

My Computer

When a computer shuts down suddenly, it can corrupt the BIOS settings. To resolve this issue, go to the computer's BIOS and apply Defaults.

I had this issue with my PC with Windows 8.1 64-bit. The Windows was not booting up and when I tried to Refresh or Reset the Windows, I was getting this error: The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again. I was able to resolve the issue by resetting the BIOS to defaults.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Just more information as to what I am seeing with the same issues. I have a RAID controller running 15K RPM SCSI drives. I can install Windows 8.1 with no problems however, when I do the 77 updates I get a locked hard drive. I can delete a the RAID array and create a new RAID array so I can access the hard drives. Then, I can install Windows 8.1 again and all is well. When I do the updates again, installing 10 updates at a time, I find the updates will lock my hard drive between the 10th and 20th update. I will pin-point which update is causing the crash tomorrow and keep you posted. I have 10 machines to install Windows 8.1 on. I will not install 8.1 on any machines to we figure out what the problem is and how to fix it before the machines go into production. Please let me know if you find a clear fix and I will post if I find one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I have just had the same message when attempting refresh. Nothing weird about my setup.

None of that efi/gpt nonsense. No SSD. No encryption. Just regular bios/mbr/standard HD. No problem accessing or writing to the win 8.1 partition from any other installed os.

drive-locked.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Had "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again." once on the Windows 8 BETA on a old Win XP P4, added the SATA Controller drivers to MSDaRT 8 BETA, Refresh OK.

"The drive is locked." Is not much help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Back