Can't activate Windows 8.1 due to product key issue

Hi! I bought my laptop new about 3 years ago with windows 8. I updatd to windows 8.1 some time ago. Recently (a few months ago) I had a bunch of problems with my laptop and I brought it to a tech place to get it fixed. When I got it back I've had some thing in the corner of my screen saying "activate windows, go to PC settings to activate windows", and it also says "Windows 8.1 Pro, Build 9600". I don't think I ever purchased Windows 8.1 Pro. My sister has the exact same laptop as me and she has regular windows 8.1. I ran the superfly key finder and it found an installed key and an OEM key. They are both different. I tried using each of these to activate my windows but I got the error code 0x8007007B with the text "the file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

I don't know why my windows won't activate! My sister has the exact same laptop and hers runs 8.1 without a problem, and she can find her key using Belarc. Also, hers doesn't run Windows 8.1 pro, just regular 8.1. I don't know how I ended up with 8.1 pro? Anyway, what should I do?

Hi sistersister512,

Chances are that the tech incorrectly installed Pro when in fact they should have installed the core version.
If ShowKey displays "Win 8.1 RTM" only (i.e without "Pro" or "N" or "SingleLanguage" in the description), then you will need to download that version and install it. It will activate automatically with the key built-into the firmware. To confirm please post the OEM Edition description that ShowKey displays.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Another Product Key Question

I have read through this thread and found it very informative. However, I didn't quite find exactly what I was looking for in my situation.

I bought a used laptop last year that originally had Windows 7 Pro installed. It had been upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro before I purchased it. I recently had the Windows message that I had an Invalid Product Key and needed to Activate Windows again. From what I can tell, the product key was a group license and is now expired for my use.

Rather than go through all the trouble of trying to figure out how to get around this, I purchased a valid Retail version of Windows 8.1. My computer is working great otherwise, and I don't want to risk losing any of the installed drivers since I do not have any of the original disks. I tried just entering my new product key, but that obviously doesn't work.

My question is, what is the best way to get my valid retail copy up and running with my new Product Key, without having to do a complete clean install. I have backed everything up, just in case I need it, but I would definitely prefer to do this as simply as possible so I don't have to spend days setting everything back up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
WDT just sits and spins....

I was able to run ShowKeyPlus and got this info:

Windows Product Key Information

Product Name: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center

Product ID: 00261-XXXXX-XXXXX-AA362

Installed Key: 789NJ-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-J8D3P

Original Key: D6RD9-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-FCWWJ

Original Edition: Win Next Starter Retail

OEM Key: OEM key not present in firmware

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
WDT just sits and spins....

Means it can't interpret the licencing files - it's probably corrupt/missing - try the scripts at the bottom of the page, see if those work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Can't copy and paste the script, so here is the essential info:

Line: 49
Char: 1
Error: File not Found
Code: 800A0035
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Can't copy and paste the script, so here is the essential info:

Line: 49
Char: 1
Error: File not Found
Code: 800A0035
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

I'm afraid your install has missing files and a reinstall needs to be done.
Having a Pro key, you should install the Win 8.1 Pro version over Media Centre - that will fix not only the corruption but activation as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Ok, so a full Clean install with my new Windows 8.1 Pro from bootup looks like the best solution? That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your help and verifying that for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Ok, so a full Clean install with my new Windows 8.1 Pro from bootup looks like the best solution? That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your help and verifying that for me.

Sorry, I just noticed you said Win 8.1 not Pro? - Please run the key through ShowKey's "check product key" to confirm which version is required.

Win 8.1 = Core

PS: I checked and you indeed have an illegal version of Media centre installed - which uses additional software to activate it - this could account for the corruption.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Yes, I'm pretty sure it was an Enterprise version, of which I am not a part of. Worked great for almost a year and a half, so I'm good with just installing my new Retail version of Windows 8.1 Pro and hope I get all the drivers installed correctly. Thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I'm having a issue:

My product id is *****-*****-*****-***** but windows say that my windows almost expired and i checked my product id and i try filling in the code to the "New Product Key" but i have many "0" in my code and windows does not allow me to fill "0"there. help please

Here is the image link ( i can't insert image on this post due to a error):
https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/2/AA...IeUzKKqDpGe019IVFbQ?size_mode=3&size=1024x768

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Celeron CPU N2830 @2.16GHz 2.16GHz
    Memory
    RAM: 2.00GB (1.89GB usable)
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Real World Computing
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 @60Hz + 1920 x 1080 @60Hz
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial 256GB SSD,
    WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 3TB,
    Toshiba HDWD130 3TB
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)

NAS
    Seagate ST4000DM000
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Devil Red Tower
    Cooling
    Stock CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K710 & K270
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless M710 M185 & M570 Trackball
    Internet Speed
    37Mb/s Down - 9.5Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender Total Security 2017
    Other Info
    Also run...

Desktop - 6Core 8GB - Windows 10 Enterprise x64,
    Laptop - Quad 8GB - Windows 10 Pro x64
    Netbook - Ubuntu
    2 x Nexus 7 Android tablets
    Samsung 10.2" tablet
    Sony Z3 Android Smartphone
    HTC One Android Smartphone
I have updated this script to show both the installed key and OEM bios key.... See if they match
Hi Superfly

I had the same issue with my Lenovo laptop having a preinstalled version of Windows 8.1, just sometime back I started seeing the "Activate Windows" message. I tried activating but it kept on failing and asked for providing the correct key, my laptop never came with a Key.
Checked with my Lenovo dealer but even he was of no help. Struggled for almost 8-10 months, tried all the Key finders available, but all in vain.
Just came across your post today while googling around and tried the solution. To my surprise and astonishment it worked perfectly. :) I got the original OEM key for my Windows and was successfully able to activate the same.

I would like to thank you a ton for your efforts and solution. You have definitely been a saviour. :)

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I have updated this script to show both the installed key and OEM bios key.... See if they match
Hi Superfly

I had the same issue with my Lenovo laptop having a preinstalled version of Windows 8.1, just sometime back I started seeing the "Activate Windows" message. I tried activating but it kept on failing and asked for providing the correct key, my laptop never came with a Key.
Checked with my Lenovo dealer but even he was of no help. Struggled for almost 8-10 months, tried all the Key finders available, but all in vain.
Just came across your post today while googling around and tried the solution. To my surprise and astonishment it worked perfectly. :) I got the original OEM key for my Windows and was successfully able to activate the same.

I would like to thank you a ton for your efforts and solution. You have definitely been a saviour. :)

Thanks

You are welcome, it's great that it's still useful... as old as it is - I'm assuming you are using the vbs script - it's grown up into ShowKeyPlus now ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives

It worked!! Thank you!!! The keys didn't match so I activated the OEM key.
Thank you!

You are welcome... ;)

Thanx for making the effort to post - it's always nice to know if an app works or not... good is great, bad is good.. that just means some work needs to be done! Anyway I'm glad I could help!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Good day,

After my Windows 10 crashed i had to reinstall the oem Windows 8 on my PB easynote. After updating to 8.1 it would also not auto activate. Keeyfinders gave the wrong key. But the scrip in this post did the work.

So you see how important it is not to remove old threats like this.

Thanks for the script.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back