Cannot Set Explorer Default Folder

BuckSkin

I have done this countless times, with never a problem, on various machines of all Windows versions, ----- until now.

This is 64-bit W8.1 HP laptop.

It refuses to acknowledge that I want to type in the "Target" text box; it currently says "File Explorer" in that box.

The "Start In" box is blank and just as dead as the "Target" box.

There is a flashing courser and the word "None" in the "Shortcut Key" box and I can edit that field.

I have control on everything else in that Properties dialogue that I have investigated.

How do I fix this ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

By the way, I love the big, huge, easy to see "Post Thread" box.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Have you tried making a new shortcut?

Target: %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}

Start in: %windir%

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 Core
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv6
    CPU
    i3
    Browser
    Palemoon 28.x
Have you tried making a new shortcut?

Target: %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}

Start in: %windir%

No. I am uncertain where and what to do with that information; where and how do I employ it ?
Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Right click the desktop > New > Shortcut. Enter info.

I guess an easier way would be to copy and past back to the desktop any shortcut. Rename it to whatever then edit the properties for Target and Start in.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 Core
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv6
    CPU
    i3
    Browser
    Palemoon 28.x
Right click the desktop > New > Shortcut. Enter info.

This is the box I get when I open File Explorer Properties :

Explorer_Properties_ShtCt.png

This is the box I get when I Rt-Clk Desktop > New > Shortcut

RtClkDskTop_CreateShortcut.png

I can't type anything in the two fields in the properties box and I do not have "Target" and "Start In" in the shortcut dialogue; what am I missing ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Do you have an shortcut on the desktop? Right click it and copy. Past it back to the desktop. Rename it File Explorer. (unless you already have the file explorer shortcut on the desktop then name it File Explorer 2)
Right click it select properties and edit the two items "Target and Start in" using the info I gave you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 Core
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv6
    CPU
    i3
    Browser
    Palemoon 28.x
Do you have an shortcut on the desktop? Right click it and copy. Past it back to the desktop. Rename it File Explorer. (unless you already have the file explorer shortcut on the desktop then name it File Explorer 2)
Right click it select properties and edit the two items "Target and Start in" using the info I gave you.

THANKS ! Worked like a charm !

I followed your instructions and then pinned the results to the taskbar; I click the button and the folder I want immediately opens.

Oh...., and even better than being able to just make the original button open to a specified folder, I now have BOTH !

Can I somehow hide the shortcut that is now on the desktop; I am afraid that if I "delete" that the whole works will disappear.

I am not one to say this, but THIS IS COOL !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Back