Cannot Select SSD as primary BOOT device

Frank Read

Hi Anyone: Need help if you have a solution or can point me in the right direction. . . Recently installed OCZ Vertex4 SSD to my Dell Aurora R4 and cloned existing boot drive to new SSD drive BUT do not know how to set SSD as primary boot drive. Any help is greatly appreciated.
boot~screen5.jpg

Attachments

• boot~screen2.jpg
    boot~screen2.jpg
    645.9 KB · Views: 127
  • boot~screen3.jpg
    boot~screen3.jpg
    859.1 KB · Views: 140
  • boot~screen4.jpg
    boot~screen4.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 154

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 - 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Alienware Aurora R4
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4820K
    Motherboard
    Alienware
    Memory
    16 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
On the UEFI Boot / Legacy Boot screen, can you scroll down to the Legacy Boot list , highlight OCZ Vertex4, then hit ENTER?

Also, on the screen with Set Boot Priority, scroll to Boot Mode, hit ENTER, and see if it will let you select BIOS. If it will, then that should allow you to select your SSD as the primary boot device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
On the UEFI Boot / Legacy Boot screen, can you scroll down to the Legacy Boot list , highlight OCZ Vertex4, then hit ENTER?

Also, on the screen with Set Boot Priority, scroll to Boot Mode, hit ENTER, and see if it will let you select BIOS. If it will, then that should allow you to select your SSD as the primary boot device.

Hi mrjimphelps: Just got home. Long day. I did what you told me ( if I have the right screens ) and result was not encouraging...
Black screen with white letters " PC says reboot and select proper boot device "

Rebooted and went to next screen SET BOOT PRIORITY scrolled to boot mode, hit enter and I saw nothing about selecting bios other than changing from UEFI to LEGACY which I did and got WARNING: Changing boot modes will require that your boot storage device be partitioned to match the boot mode compatibility. Changing boot modes could result in an incompatible boot storage device which may prevent the original OS boot. Restoring the boot mode may resolve this failure.

Black screen white letters "PC says reboot and select proper boot device "

So I rebooted and all is good but boot time was consistent at 80 seconds - - - much slower than an SSD.

I feel retarded

Frank Read

See screens:

Attachments

• boot~screen5.jpg
    boot~screen5.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 128
  • boot~screen4.jpg
    boot~screen4.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 111

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 - 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Alienware Aurora R4
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4820K
    Motherboard
    Alienware
    Memory
    16 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
Not sure what to tell you, but I would not allow it to repartition my hard drive. You may end up losing all of your data, programs, etc., if the hard drive is repartitioned.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Not sure what to tell you, but I would not allow it to repartition my hard drive. You may end up losing all of your data, programs, etc., if the hard drive is repartitioned.

Thanks. . . You have been helpful . . . Could repartition as separate GPT drive with cloned Windows 8 on it. Will keep researching for answer . . . If you get a lightbulb let me know. Checked with Dell and they charge $175 hr but NO guarantees that I can see. Way too much and AMI don't acept emails from Gmail, Yahoo etc. . . so I may play some more with it after some more research. Likely something simple I am missing. . . your pointers were helpful. Thanks again Frank Read

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 - 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Alienware Aurora R4
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4820K
    Motherboard
    Alienware
    Memory
    16 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
If you first get a good backup of your hard drive, and are sure that you can restore it to the hard drive, you could try different things. If things go wrong, you can always restore the backup.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
If you first get a good backup of your hard drive, and are sure that you can restore it to the hard drive, you could try different things. If things go wrong, you can always restore the backup.
Hi Jim: Not sure what I did BUT I tried to do a full format of my OCX SSD but it stalled at around 98% so I did a quick format and tried a fresh install of Windows 7 and it partially stopped asking me to re-install windows which I cancelled. PC rebooted and continued the fresh install and to my amazement it rebooted i to Windows 7 or Windows 8 {my choice}.
Chose7 and reloaded programs and drivers which took awhile but it now boots in 20 seconds rather than 80 seconds and super quiet and about 10% faster on bench. So all is good. Guy from OCZ - TOSHIBA said SSD's do not like full format but I doubt that was issue.
Certainly the cloned image did NOT work so the fresh install was the trick.

Little nervous about deleting Windows 8 and reclaiming drive space. Maybe later... I think it would be safe to do so.

Frank Read

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 - 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Alienware Aurora R4
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4820K
    Motherboard
    Alienware
    Memory
    16 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
Fresh installs always give you the best result in terms of bug-free performance. Over time, Windows will develop issues here and there; you can get rid of all of those issues by doing a clean, fresh install. But you will lose everything that was on the hard drive, so you have to consider that before proceeding.

Make sure that TRIM is active on your SSD. That's about all there is still to do for you. Here's how to do this:
How to Check if TRIM Is Enabled for Your SSD (and Enable It if It Isn’t)

Little nervous about deleting Windows 8 and reclaiming drive space. Maybe later... I think it would be safe to do so.

No hurry. If everything is working fine, enjoy your success for a while. At some point in the future you can worry about deleting Windows 8.

You may want to keep Windows 8 (that is, 8.1), because it will be supported by Microsoft until January 2023, whereas Windows 7 will be supported only until January 2020. If you install Classic Shell in Windows 8.1, you can configure it to make Windows 8.1 look and feel just like Windows 7; it will be like having Windows 7 until January 2023. That's what I am doing.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
OP, your first screen shown is the 'quick select menu' for selecting alternative boot drives. Nothing you do there is saved past one restart. To set BIOS boot device you need to move your hard drive to first place in HDD boot priority, then move HDDs to first priority.

Your cloning problem is down to MBR/GPT conflicts. Basically theres a big blob of data at the start of your HDD that the computer reads to start windows. That data is not part of the 'files' on your hard drive, so when you clone a drive they are not copied and Windows does not start as there is nothing to direct your PC to the 'first' file to load on the hard drive that's starts Windows.

In the future, if you wish to clone Windows, format your disk, install a fresh Windows of the same version to that disk so that your 'boot data' can be created. Make sure that you use the same format type that the data came from when creating this, so if your Windows install is from an MBR partition, you need to install fresh windows to an MBR formatted disk and so on for GPT.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Z170
    Memory
    16GB