Cannot copy recovery partition -- win8 recovery creation

Update,

I finally created my recovery partition on USB. Here is what I did, hopefully it works for others. First, I formatted the USB stick with the built in windows format tool. Make sure it is set for FAT32 and uncheck "Quick Format". Then download the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool found here HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - CNET Download.com. Open the utility, may have to do it in compatibility mode. Again, make sure it is set for FAT32 and uncheck "Quick Format". Once that is done, create your recovery drive on your USB stick. Good luck and post back if that works for you.

cosmo727

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windos 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus X202E-DH31T-CA
    CPU
    i3
Gateway Issues

I tried the power settings and the usb format but it still hangs at about 5% remaining. Have to wait until monday and call gateway support. So I just got off the phone with Gateway level 2 support and am getting recovery disks for free. The issue of not being able to completely create the recovery drive to usb is a known issue to gateway and they told me they are trying to fix this. Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else is having the same problem

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Intel B960
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD
Not sure what to do

I have my recovery disks now, but not sure if I want to run them in case the issue with USB drive isn't taken care of. The computer is working fine and the tech guy told me everything would be on the disks. Any ideas, I thought I read somewhere that some items would have to be recovered by USB anyone know if this is true?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Intel B960
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD
Wolverine, are you going to give it a try? I'm in a similar boat with a new gateway, but I've been told by several different people that I can burn my own discs. Which wasn't true. Then I was told I can burn to DVD+/-R, again not true. Finally they said I can burn to Blu-ray, not surprisingly that also wasn't true. Finally they said I can only burn to flash drive (ok, nice choice of words, but not accurate). So I'm now waiting to talk to level 2 about the fact that I can't "burn" to any media.... we'll see what they can do, but I'm guessing the answer is nothing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Gateway response

I haven't tried rebooting after receiving the free discs. Everything is working fine other than not being able to create USB recovery drive. They keep telling me they are working on it and will post on their support site when they fix this. You can request their discs and they will give them to you for free since it is a known issue. I'm trying to wait until they fix it and create USB drives then reboot, if I have to sooner I'll post here. They also told me that everything is on the discs they sent me and it comes with instructions also on which discs to use in which order.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Intel B960
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD
Wolverine, are you going to give it a try? I'm in a similar boat with a new gateway, but I've been told by several different people that I can burn my own discs. Which wasn't true. Then I was told I can burn to DVD+/-R, again not true. Finally they said I can burn to Blu-ray, not surprisingly that also wasn't true. Finally they said I can only burn to flash drive (ok, nice choice of words, but not accurate). So I'm now waiting to talk to level 2 about the fact that I can't "burn" to any media.... we'll see what they can do, but I'm guessing the answer is nothing.

information   Information

We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html

You can use the Acer version of
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

Windows 8 - Restore Windows With a USB Recovery Drive - YouTube

You can Order Acer recovery disks from here:

https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Just got another e=mail from gateway after asking them if they wanted me to send my USB stick, now they are saying it is an issue with windows 8 is why we can't copy to USB. Seems like a load of BS to me, probably going to have to call their level 2 again next week. Last time was on hold for over an hour before talking to a person.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Intel B960
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD
More Info

Hi
I have had this trouble on a HP Desktop and a ASUS Laptop. The HP finally completed on the third try and on examining the drive it looked like every thing was there. I am currently doing the ASUS N56V series and it stuck so I looked and found this thread.

I would assume it is a W8 problem since it is happening all across the different machines in this thread. I am going back and shut down the process and try again. Hopefully it will be like the HP machine and finish.

Kerry

Hi
I had to try 5 times on this one before it took using the same Jump Drive. I compared the bad recovery drive files to the one that finally completed . The only difference was a 1Kb file called "reagent " listed in with the other files. After all this I think it is a W8 Recovery Program problem.
I hope this helps some one and maybe MS will fix this with SP1 if it ever gets here. W8 the NEW Vista.

Kerry

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS UX32VD
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    10 Gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    AVAST
I have successfully made a recovery drive on a 16 gig Kingston USB thumb drive. I also did one on a 30 gig external laptop hard drive attached via USB. I've booted from the thumb drive but haven't done the Reset. This was on my brand new ASUS K75DE. I have a couple of SSD drives on order for this laptop and will be doing the Reset {factory restore} when they arrive and are installed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Still having the issue

I read somewhere to disable internet security, so I updated windows then disabled Norton and tried again. Still won't complete, no error messages, stops at about 90-98% complete.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Intel B960
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD
Found solution for "copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" grayed out, Windows 8. Tried all kinds of tips found on the Internet without success. I bought an Asus S46CM (ultrabook) and couldn’t make the recovery drive: option was grayed out, regardless of any trick or tip I used. Asus assistance over the phone =0. They don’t know anything. Ignorants. They seem not to understand what we say. They promised a software to make the media, I never received. Manual with S46CM is for Windows 7, notebook K46C!! Asus AI Recovery Burner not available and doesn’t install on Windows 8. “Reset” or “Refresh” in Win 8 asked media I didn’t have! I had bought Easeus Partition Master 9.2.2. I could see I had 2 partitions “Recovery” (900 MB) and “Restore” (20.01 GB) in my HD, letters “NONE” for both. Tried with Diskpart: failed (“volume not listed”). (In doubt which was the actual recovery partition in my Asus, I wanted to assign letters to both). Easeus didn’t offer an option to assign letters either. I then found and installed (free) Aomei Partition Manager Standard. It gave me the option to assign letters to those 2 partitions. I did (next letters available). Partitions seen in “Computer”. Immediately, the option “copy recovery partition from PC to recovery drive" was checked and live. Success, I used a 16 GB Sandisk pendrive. About 1 hour. I did a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] recovery drive on another 16GB pendrive. Then, I went back to Aomei and assigned letters “NONE” to those 2 partitions again, just to be on the safe side, to avoid problems at boot, who knows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Back