Solved Cannot buy Windows 8 after using 90 day Windows 8 Evaluati

jimbo45 Windows 8 Enterprise evaluation edition is simply just that - a time limited evaluation edition. It Doesn't qualify for an upgrade -- simple -- end of (line, end of story).
A person would think that Microsoft would inform people that once the Windows 8 Enterprise evaluation was installed, that it could not be upgraded.
But I guess Microsoft thought that would be too easy.
As far as I am concerned, this part of the thread is SOLVED.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP a6603w Pavilion
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale) E8xxx
    Motherboard
    MCP73M01H1 (Napa) by Foxconn
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100
Ive been trying to upgrade my desktop, running Vista Business N 64bit edition to Win 8 Pro. But get stuck on the "Windows 8 isn't available for download" screen.. I don't have a compatible mode for XP service pack 3, but have one for XP service pack 2. However the Upgrade Assistant will not launch in that mode. I've tried swapping my location to Puerto Rico and back to USA to see if that would help.. but I'm running out of ideas.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit
    ASUS G73SW
    CPU
    i7-2630QM @ 2 - 2.9GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS - Unknown - Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
Hello there. You're absolutely correct that the EE edition is time limited and is not an OS that qualifies for upgrade. They were explicit in explaining that before downloading. However, they did allow one to use it again for another 90 day cycle. I don't remember how that was performed. I'm not sure if they allow that any longer.

The only edition that the MS online store offers is the upgrade whether Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro. One must have a qualifying OS to upgrade to whether it be through Upgrade Assistant or fresh install. One cannot use the qualifying OS any longer otherwise it is in violation of the EULA.

I ended up buying the 64 bit Windows 8 Professional OEM System Builder edition on another online store for $105 U.S. MS online store does not offer the System Builder editions. I'm going to dual boot with 7 and this is legal under the EULA of that edition. This was confirmed by MS in online chatting with a rep and his supervisor. It's also confirmed on package when I received it. A stand alone installation situation is legal also.

Hope that helps. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Ive been trying to upgrade my desktop, running Vista Business N 64bit edition to Win 8 Pro. But get stuck on the "Windows 8 isn't available for download" screen.. I don't have a compatible mode for XP service pack 3, but have one for XP service pack 2. However the Upgrade Assistant will not launch in that mode. I've tried swapping my location to Puerto Rico and back to USA to see if that would help.. but I'm running out of ideas.

I had Vista 32-bit and would not upgrade to windows 8 eather. I quit banging my head and bought Win 8 Pro on my laptop and am putting in the old Enterprise Eval (Vista) machine. I have been told in other posts that Enterprise Eval could not be upgraded.
Read other post because someone stated how to buy on a different machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP a6603w Pavilion
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100
I had Vista 32-bit and would not upgrade to windows 8 eather. I quit banging my head and bought Win 8 Pro on my laptop and am putting in the old Enterprise Eval (Vista) machine. I have been told in other posts that Enterprise Eval could not be upgraded.
Read other post because someone stated how to buy on a different machine.

Buying on another PC is easy - just go to MS site and purchase - but don't download.
Then use the purchased key and follow the instructions here to download on your PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro - 64Bit
    Acer 8930
    Memory
    6GB
    Hard Drives
    WD 300GB, WD 500GB
"just go to MS site and purchase - but don't download." - Is there a way to do that with out using the Upgrade Assistant ?
I already have Win8 Pro 64bit on a USB drive.. I just need to buy a key for my desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit
    ASUS G73SW
    CPU
    i7-2630QM @ 2 - 2.9GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS - Unknown - Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
- Is there a way to do that with out using the Upgrade Assistant ?

You need to run the Upgrade Assistant on the PC you are buying the key on - see steps 1 -14 here

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro - 64Bit
    Acer 8930
    Memory
    6GB
    Hard Drives
    WD 300GB, WD 500GB
This did not work for me. Do not understand why.
I got the same message on the enterprise version of Windows 8. I actually had to right click on the upgrade assistant and go into properties and change the compatability mode to Windows XP sp 3.

Restart the upgrade assistant and then it allowed me to buy it and the upgrade seem to go fine then.

Hope this helps

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP a6603w Pavilion
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100
jimbo45 Windows 8 Enterprise evaluation edition is simply just that - a time limited evaluation edition. It Doesn't qualify for an upgrade -- simple -- end of (line, end of story).
A person would think that Microsoft would inform people that once the Windows 8 Enterprise evaluation was installed, that it could not be upgraded.

They do, on their page where you select to download, from memory. I used the Enterprise RTM trial, which I
liked BTW, and it was made quite clear that it could not be upgraded.

Wenda.

Edit: As I have a slow internet and since MS decided that 8 'wasn't available' in my area, I went and bought the physical
disks from a store. Cost me A$69.95, and I got both 32 and 64 bit. They are, however, not separate licences, and cannot
both be used at once without buying a second key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.

They do, on their page where you select to download, from memory. I used the Enterprise RTM trial, which I
liked BTW, and it was made quite clear that it could not be upgraded.

Wenda.

Edit: As I have a slow internet and since MS decided that 8 'wasn't available' in my area, I went and bought the physical
disks from a store. Cost me A$69.95, and I got both 32 and 64 bit. They are, however, not separate licences, and cannot
both be used at once without buying a second key.

Microsoft most likely did state what you have in Red, but I did not read the fine print, I would still be reading. Just downloaded and installed. Bought me a Key and installed, everything is working. Now have to learn it. Good thing this is not going to be my main machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP a6603w Pavilion
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    3 gb