Can you upgrade from Win 8 / 8.1 to Win 10 free?

stevec59

I've just done a rebuild from Win 7 to Win 10, using the Win 7 Licence, you can do an upgrade in a similar way, can you do this free for Win 8 / Win 8.1? Is there a tutorial, or just use the Win 7 10 Win 10 one?
When is Microsoft stopping support on Win 8 / 8.1?
Reason for asking is that a friend over the road has Win 8 or 8.1.

Many Thanks

Steve

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
I used the tool here to upgrade three machines from Win 7 to 10 last week because the updates for the former will be ending soon:

Download Windows 10

The process looked something like this:

For now, all three PCs are running correctly, with settings in place, and no prompts for activation. A fourth PC was upgraded around six months ago.

I've three more PCs (one's a branded all-in-one, the second's a laptop, and the third is almost five years old) with Win 8.1, and I'm guessing that upgrading them will involve the same process as that for Win 7. For now, they are running smoothly, and I read that support will continue until the end of 2022, so I'm not sure if I will be upgrading them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    None
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-4690
    Motherboard
    MSI H97M-G43
    Memory
    8 GB 1866 MHz Kingston HyperX Fury Black
    Graphics Card(s)
    Inno3D N770 GTX770 2 GB DD5 256-bit
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster S23B300
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel SSD 250 GB
    Seagate 2 TB
    WD 2 TB
    WD Mybook 2 TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX750W
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Intel Water Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech K120
    Mouse
    A4Tech X7
    Internet Speed
    50 GB
    Browser
    Cyberfox 64-bit
    Antivirus
    Avira Free
I've just done a rebuild from Win 7 to Win 10, using the Win 7 Licence, you can do an upgrade in a similar way, can you do this free for Win 8 / Win 8.1?
Yes, you can upgrade W8/8.1 to W10 and it will be activated.

In fact, for a machine built and supplied by the OEM with W8/8.1 pre-installed it's even easier. All such machines have the key embedded in their firmware. A clean install of W10 will find this key and will not ask you to enter one, instead it will use this key to determine the appropriate edition to install (Home or Pro) and to get it activated once W10 it is installed.

Is there a tutorial, or just use the Win 7 10 Win 10 one?

The Ten Forums W7 to W10 tutorial was written specifically with W7 users in mind. With W8's ability to mount ISO files there are more options available. This Ten Forums tutorial covers them all.

Upgrade to Windows 10

When is Microsoft stopping support on Win 8 / 8.1?

Windows 8 is not supported, only Windows 8.1 gets support. Extended support for W8.1 ends January 10, 2023.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Hyper-V
Thanks Bree, It looks like Mainstream support has ended for Windows 8.1, I presume that Mainsteam is home users etc and Extended is for large companies?
I'll talk to the chap over the road and see if he wants me to upgrade his laptop for him.

Thanks Again,

Steve

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell
Thanks Bree, It looks like Mainstream support has ended for Windows 8.1, I presume that Mainsteam is home users etc and Extended is for large companies?

No, not at all. Mainstream support includes feature development, while extended support is only security fixes. But extended support is provided free to all customers. Non-security fixes are a paid-for option during extended support but the security fixes are free to all.

Look at the example of Windows 7. Its extended support will end in January 2020. Mainstream support for W7 ended on January 13, 2015.

Microsoft said:
Extended Support

The Extended Support phase follows Mainstream Support. At the supported service pack level, Extended Support includes:
  • Paid support
  • Security updates at no additional cost
  • Ability to request non-security fixes for select products, for eligible Unified Support customers.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Hyper-V
I used the tool here to upgrade three machines from Win 7 to 10 last week because the updates for the former will be ending soon:

Download Windows 10

The process looked something like this:

For now, all three PCs are running correctly, with settings in place, and no prompts for activation. A fourth PC was upgraded around six months ago.

I've three more PCs (one's a branded all-in-one, the second's a laptop, and the third is almost five years old) with Win 8.1, and I'm guessing that upgrading them will involve the same process laser as that for Win 7. For now, they are running smoothly, and I read that support will continue until the end of 2022, so I'm not sure if I will be upgrading them.

Thanks for the video,Nice and simple. I decided to upgrade my old PC from windows 7 to 10 however before started I upgraded the hard drive to a Samsung 500GB SSD and replaced the old DDR ram which cost me just over £70 for both. This must have helped because Windows 10 was installed and running in 89 minutes. I also used a wired connection.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
    CPU
    core i7
    Memory
    12 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 1060
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows defender
As i know,Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft,but i don't know more about Windows 8,it still seems to be supported by Microsoft.
It is found by me.
And there are still free ways to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, and Windows 8 to do the same.
It is found by me.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    8GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
....Windows 8, it still seems to be supported by Microsoft....

You need to be on Windows 8.1 for continuing support. Windows 8.0 support ended in January 2016. Mainstream support for 8.1 has ended, but Extended support will continue to deliver security fixes until January 2023.

Microsoft said:
Windows 8.1 reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Hyper-V
You need to be on Windows 8.1 for continuing support. Windows 8.0 support ended in January 2016. Mainstream support for 8.1 has ended, but Extended support will continue to deliver security fixes until January 2023.

only the Home/Pro/Enterprise editions of Win8.0 went EOL in Jan. 2016 but the Embedded Standard edition of W8 is still supported until July 2023

also one needs to be using Windows 8.1 with at least Update 1 (KB2919355) (not Win8.1 RTM or w/out Update 1) to continue getting new W8.1 updates until 1/2023.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5306
    CPU
    AMD Quad-Core A6-5200M Accelerated Processor
    Memory
    4 GB