Can I use Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Upgrade with Windows XP 32-bit system?

dirtyvu

Power User
I have a 32-bit Windows XP system. The hardware is up to date (been upgrading over the years). Can I use the 64-bit Windows 8 Pro Update version?

I do not need to preserve any Windows XP settings or files. I just want to be able to install Windows 8 Pro Upgrade from a 32-bit Windows XP license.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
As far as I know, you cannot do an "upgrade install" from 32 bit to 64 bit. But you can use the Upgrade media to do a clean install from 32 bit to 64 bit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I think Mystere is right
found this "You cannot upgrade or keep your Windows settings, personal files, or applications if you are performing a cross-language installation. You can only keep your personal files during a cross-language installation by using Windows 8 Setup"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
As far as I know, you cannot do an "upgrade install" from 32 bit to 64 bit. But you can use the Upgrade media to do a clean install from 32 bit to 64 bit.

thanks! this is the answer I was hoping for. as long as I can buy the 64-bit upgrade version and be able to use it, even though I only own the 32-bit XP version. you wouldn't happen to have a link offhand would you? I've been googling for awhile and every news link seems to be copy and pasting the same answers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Back