Solved Can add network printer, but Print Test Page does not work

zuburg

I have a home network with an XP system with a printer attached and shared. A Windows 7 laptop and my old XP laptop from work can print fine, but a new Windows 8 laptop won't print. Sharing from the XP system works as I can read files from the XP system on the new Win8 system. When I do an Add Printer on the Windows 8 laptop, I can see the network printer and install it and the driver so the printer shows up as installed on the Win8 system. The Print Test Page does not work nor printing from WordPad. I turned off the Firewall on the XP system in case that was the problem. I don't know what else to try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo U410
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    8GB
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
Does the test page dissapear from the print queue as though it has been sent to the printer or does it just sit there waiting?

What port does it show under printer properties?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    12 TB in 6 disks
    PSU
    TX650
    Keyboard
    G15
    Mouse
    Intellimouse 3.0
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbits
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Trend Micro
When I first added the printer and clicked on the Print Test Page, it showed a message that a test page was sent, but it never actually printed. I never saw it appear in the queue, but wasn't sure if it went through too fast. Now if I try the Print Test Page from the Printer Properties I get an error "Test Page failed to print. Now if I print from WordPad, I get no indication it printed, nor any error message, and nothing goes to the printer queue.

The port in Printer Properties shows: USB003 Virtual printer port for... Samsung CLP-310 Series

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo U410
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    8GB
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
I have a home network with an XP system with a printer attached and shared. A Windows 7 laptop and my old XP laptop from work can print fine, but a new Windows 8 laptop won't print. Sharing from the XP system works as I can read files from the XP system on the new Win8 system. When I do an Add Printer on the Windows 8 laptop, I can see the network printer and install it and the driver so the printer shows up as installed on the Win8 system. The Print Test Page does not work nor printing from WordPad. I turned off the Firewall on the XP system in case that was the problem. I don't know what else to try.

The more obvious question is, did you install Windows 8 compatible drivers for your printer to the new Windows 8 machine?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
I apologize to all. I thought I installed the latest driver (multiple times), but I was re-installing the wrong driver. I have now installed the Samsung Universal Driver that supports all of the various Windows versions including Windows 8. Problem now resolved. Special thanks to chev65 for suggesting the obvious.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo U410
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    8GB
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
I apologize to all. I thought I installed the latest driver (multiple times), but I was re-installing the wrong driver. I have now installed the Samsung Universal Driver that supports all of the various Windows versions including Windows 8. Problem now resolved. Special thanks to chev65 for suggesting the obvious.

I figured it was something like that, glad I could help. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Solved

Hi, zuburg.
It seems that I am having the same problem as you had: Samsung ML-1640 printer installed on a WinXP machine via USB then shared via wirelless router but I can't get it successifuly instaled on my laptop Windows 8 64bit. I tried with the Samsung Universal Driver but I think I'm doing something wrong. Can you give me some hints?

:D Solved. I had to configure correctly the Samsung Universal Driver: printer properties > Device Options > then select the correct printer model.
Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
Back