C drive filling up

persius

My OS (Win 8.1) is stored on my C: while my recovery is the D: . When I install software I try to ensure that everything is installed on the partioned drive, E:. So far most of the programs I've installed end up sending files to the C: and it has filled up preventing me from installing anything new. I would like to know what I can do to free up my C: without affecting any programs currently running. What are my options?

I would appreciate hearing from somebody who actually understands what to do.

Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
All programs install to C: drive in the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files 9x86) folders. You have no choice in this. Consider if you really need all your installed programs and uninstall some of them. It may be that you have a very small HDD and you do not want to uninstall programs but you may have to. "Disk Cleanup" can regain you a few Gigabytes of disk space. See 7 Ways To Free Up Hard Disk Space On Windows . Also save your user files to an external hard drive plugged into a USB slot and delete them from your C: drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hello
Thank you for replying. I suspected that was the case but I wanted to verify it. If I increase my disk space on C: I'm guessing that will solve the problem as well?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
The problem will only come back if you go back to what you were doing before so, as far it goes, the actions I mention will fix the issue for good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I don't run games on my computer and only install programs that I need to do my work. My C: has a capacity of 104 GB so this is why I was asking if diverting free space from my partitioned drive will help? I would like to transfer free space from my partitioned drive to the C: so unless I misunderstood you, will that help?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
Yes it would but to ensure you do not lose any files stored on E: drive save them somwhere else first then use "Disk Management" to "Shrink Volume" of E:. You can then "Extend Volume" of C: by the same amount you shrunk E:. This will make E: smaller and C: larger. You can then copy your files back to E:. Job done.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
104 GB is not a lot of space for your Windows C: drive. It is barely enough space. If you get a bigger hard drive, you will no longer have the space problem.

If you replace your hard drive, you might as well get a big one. I suggest that you get a 2TB drive. Any drive which is 2TB or smaller will work in any modern computer without your having to do any configuration of any kind. And 2TB will provide plenty of space for you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
You can free up some space without hurting a thing if you disable hibernation. Hibernation stores an image of your current Windows session onto your hard drive. You don't need hibernation; it is a convenience, but not a necessity.

A bit more risky is disabling System Restore, and deleting all restore points. This will free up space; but you won't have the security of using a Restore Point if something goes wrong with your computer. As an alternative, you could delete all but one or two restore points.

Here is some helpful information: 7 Ways To Free Up Hard Disk Space On Windows

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
I agree that my HD could be larger but for now that is all I have to work with. I will move some space from my partitioned drive to C: for now. Eventually a new HD or even new PC will be obtained.
While we are on this subject, the only software that I am familiar with for moving space is Partition Magic. Would you use the same or is there something better to use?

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
I believe that only Windows itself truly knows where all of its data, including the OS itself, is stored so I recommend using using Windows' own "Disk Management" as I mentioned in my previous post. I have had personal experience of using a 3rd party partition management program which showed, wrongly as it turned out, that I could shrink C: volume by a certain amount and so I went ahead and did it. Unfortunately it must have missed some Windows OS data and after shrinking C: the OS was corrupted and would not boot at all. Fortunately I had a backup and a USB boot stick and I was able to recover the system but I did lose some user files.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I appreciate your input. I will first sit down and examine Disk Management to ensure I understand the task at hand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
After thinking further I realise that using 3rd party software (in this case) should be OK because you want to expand C:, not shrink it, so there should be no danger of losing data.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I'm glad you commented on that. I was thinking to myself, how can I lose date by expanding free space?! I'll get on this later today.

Cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
You can change where your program files install, but its better to just resize your partition to make your work drive larger.

But ALWAYS back up your important data and files first onto a DIFFERENT PHYSICAL drive in case of disaster...

Many years ago I used to tweak my windows 2000 to put my programs onto a different drive, back then i thought it would protect me from viruses, maybe it did, maybe it didnt not sure anymore...I used to also put my pagefile.sys on a different physical drive hoping that the use of two different IDE cables would increase my bandwidth..

in any case , to answer your question, yes you can tell windows to put Program Files in a different location..
however i dont recommend it unless you like messing around with your windows..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...rt-changing-the-location-of-the-program-files

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 & 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    DELL Latitude D820
    Memory
    4GB
    Browser
    Opera
    Antivirus
    MalwareBytes
Since I posted my initial request I reformatted my entire drive. My C: drive has cleared up entirely and I have the room I need to work without any concerns.

Thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
Back