Buying laptop, any suggestions?

Harkes

Hi! I'm looking to buy a laptop so I can do work on the go, but honestly I don't have much clue what I'm looking for much further than "decent battery life" and "not thick and heavy". Is it worth looking in some stores (such as these) to find something I like, or will I benefit more finding something online where there's significantly more selection? What kind of brands make the best hardware? What should I be looking for to make sure I end up with something decent?

Sorry it's quite a broad question :p thank you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
First off, what is your budget? What will you use the laptop for?

In the link you provided, the stores seemed to be Apple retailers. Do you have a preference for an Apple laptop?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris X Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Samsung U32J59 32 inch monitors, 13.3" display, 12.3" display
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 (Desktop), 1920x1080 (laptop), 2736x1824 Pro 7
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
First off, what is your budget? What will you use the laptop for?

In the link you provided, the stores seemed to be Apple retailers. Do you have a preference for an Apple laptop?

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me! :)

I may well end up replacing my desktop PC with the laptop to keep things simple, so I don't have a hard budget but under £1500 would be preferable. A lot of my work is creative, photo/video production and website design, so can get quite intensive on a computer particularly with the video production. I've been thinking of switching to a Mac and I can imagine this is probably a good time to do so, however I don't know Apple's laptop lineup very well as I haven't used Macs before.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I'm not a Mac guy either so can't really help in that area. The Mac Book Pro is the one that I hear good things about but they aren't cheap.

It seems to me that your budget would allow for a fairly high end Windows laptop but only a mid-range Mac laptop.

As far as whether to purchase on-line or local, my answer to that question would be, how much support do you feel you would need? If you feel you are going to need some hand-holding to get the laptop setup and running as you like it, you may want to buy from a local shop that offers good customer service. If you are pretty much self-sufficient then buy on-line for greater selection and usually a lower price. For instance, if you go with a Mac that you have no experience with, it might be best to buy from a local shop that could offer lots of support to guide you toward the best Mac for you and to get started once you buy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris X Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Samsung U32J59 32 inch monitors, 13.3" display, 12.3" display
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 (Desktop), 1920x1080 (laptop), 2736x1824 Pro 7
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
Hi! I'm looking to buy a laptop so I can do work on the go, but honestly I don't have much clue what I'm looking for much further than "decent battery life" and "not thick and heavy". Is it worth looking in some stores (such as these) to find something I like, or will I benefit more finding something online where there's significantly more selection? What kind of brands make the best hardware? What should I be looking for to make sure I end up with something decent?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell/Inspiron
    CPU
    core i5
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    none
    Browser
    ie10
    Antivirus
    windows defender
I have a Dell laptop that I'm very pleased with. The bank I do business with also uses Dell equipment and I've heard no complaints from them. When I have operator caused problems the Dell customer service people have been very supportive going beyond what they are required to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell/Inspiron
    CPU
    core i5
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    none
    Browser
    ie10
    Antivirus
    windows defender
My sister just bought a Dell laptop,it seems nice.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Microsoft
    Memory
    8GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
I have a dell latutude e6150 that is a business unit and it has a metal body and intel i7 procesor with 6 g ram and its a wonderful unit. I really enjoy it. It has a lit keyboard and u can get them used for not too much money. Mine wirh all the accessorys and dock would be about 600.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    dual boot win 7pro win 10 pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dell latitude e6510
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    dell rev A04
    Memory
    6g
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    dell dock
    Browser
    firefox beta
    Antivirus
    baidu antivirus
  • PC2
    hp ent laptop dv7

Pushed the wrong key...In answer to your question, I have a dell laptop with a 17" screen that I am very pleased with. The bank I do business with also uses Dell equipment and I hear no complaints about Dell equipment from them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell/Inspiron
    CPU
    core i5
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    none
    Browser
    ie10
    Antivirus
    windows defender
first of all what is your budget?and for which purpose you need a laptop? for general use i recommend dell or Hp laptops, if you want some laptop with longer battery timing apple macbook is best.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    operating system
I will presume you will be using Windows 10.. (not a fan myself)
I run Win 8 and Win 7 on most of my machines, but I also use Media Center in our household.

I am not a fan of Dell, if you happen to notice, I think they might have the biggest return rate. Go to Newegg and check out the refurbished units. But that is not my main concern of Dell. I don't like their interface and EUFI control system. IMHO

With that I might suggest a
Microsoft Surface product. good quality, easy interface for store etc., but overly expensive
HP Laptops are pretty solid, and they have a vast array of pricing, and pretty good service. Only drawback a lot of Bloatware
Levono makes some good products, it is my oldest running laptop.
Acer and Asus pretty good customer support and reasonably priced products.
If you are a Big Bang purest you might op for a Toshiba such as Sheldons.

It is really more of what you use it for. If it is just web browsing, email and streaming videos and you have good internet, you don't need anything fancy or high tech.
If it is a gaming rig or video editing then you definitely should plan on spending some extra monies to pay for the high end graphics and memory.

Intel vs AMD processors is a flip of the coin, fans on both sides. Personally I prefer Intel CPUs, just had better luck for the games I play.

I have had or do have all of the above, except Toshiba (but Toshiba has great drives), so just going off my experiences.

So what you first need to answer is, what am I going to use it for? Once that is done, it makes it much easier

I love spending money on new units, hope you find what you need.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
I've got my own angle.
I'm a Dell Certified Technician, and love their systems for their ease of repair and replacement for components that have any issues.
ASUS is a great system line, also. MSI is fantastic.
And personally, I'm not a fan of HP, Toshiba, Acer or Lenovo. The short end of the stick is this; Everybody has their own opinions and personal preferences.
The truth is, when it comes to choosing a system, there's many possibilities out there, and despite what anybody else says, the end result of what you wind up with, will be what your own decision is.

You said you do website and photo/video work.
Bottom line? Most systems out there with 4GB of RAM or higher can work efficiently with the types of programs you would likely be using.
I do a lot of audio work, but also intermix some photo/video work. (And have been known to play with some website material.)
For those sorts of programs, I'd recommend 6GB to 8GB of RAM or higher. (I didn't see the cost-effectiveness of going higher.)
You'll want at least 4GB of graphics memory on your system to do this kind of work.
Laptops with a dedicated graphics card memory get pricey.
I'd say a good middle-ground is to look at a laptop with an AMD APU (which does processing for the motherboard and graphics on the same chip)
Here's my version.
I've got a custom-built desktop with adequate graphics, RAM, processor, and storage for my project work at home, and a small, quick (ASUS) laptop with a stylus for more mobile work.

Short story?
It doesn't matter if you're a Dell fan, HP fan, ASUS fan, etc.
It doesn't even matter if you're a Mac fan or a PC fan.
What ultimately matters is the system you choose and what you use it for.
Specifications are going to help, as far as how the system responds to your interactions.
But be it AMD or Intel, Mac or PC, Dell or HP.... You choose.
"The right fit, and the right price."

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD Athlon II X4 640 (Propus)
    Motherboard
    MSI MS-7388
    Memory
    4 DDR2 x2GB = 8GB Total
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon R7 250x Pro Series
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Westinghouse Digital 22" LED TV
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKB-00H8A0 ATA Device (ATA )
    698GB Seagate ST3750640NA PATA Device (ATA )
    931GB Western Digital WDCWD10EZEX-22MFCA0 (SATA )
    931GB Seagate ST31000528AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA )
    1397GB Seagate ST31500541AS SCSI Disk
    PSU
    Corsair CX750 Bronze PSU
    Case
    Antec 200
    Cooling
    (3) Corsair CF 120 & (1) Corsair CF140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless SB 120 Media AIO Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless SB 120 Media AIO Mouse
    Internet Speed
    250 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    System data courtesy of Speccy; Courtesy of Piriform Software.
  • PC2
    Dell Studio 1555-S
I know this is a mostly dead thread, the OP hasn't followed up on what he/she decided and hasn't logged in recently, still, some good advice for those facing the same decisions.

The OP mentioned photo & video editing, and web design. Anything should work for web design, otoh, photo, moreso video editing requirements (video: a powerful CPU w/ optimal cooling, lots of RAM, endless storage) are steep. I begin with the software. What are other users who edit with the software I plan to edit with - what are they eventually purchasing... brands, models, system specs...? Good place to start. I pay attention to comments by those who have no regrets, as well those who do.

My first purposed build, going back to the early 90s, was an audio workstation I planned to record my music with. I was fortunate, I had/have professional musician friends, as well as access to audio engineers... I even enrolled in a digital audio recording class at a local CC. My experience has led me to believe that most people lean towards Apple for these needs, I would have to agree. I didn't want Mac so I built with Windows in mind. The truth is, I used Apple in my audio class and built a Windows based system for myself - you wouldn't know the difference by listening to the finished product.

I can also tell you (at that time, don't know now) I didn't find the Apple experience to be so superior that the extra expense was mitigated by such a superior work flow and environment. As always, these are my opinions. Btw, be cautious how you approach the Apple community, some Apple fans can respond very angrily to criticism of their brand of choice, coming across like technological antifa, really.

Finally. I've had one laptop, a Lenovo G50-45, A6-6310, Win8.1 x64. It's modest but has performed well within its means. I didn't want to build another computer after my 7 1/2 year old XP system finally gave up the ghost in 2015. I can tell you that it seems most manufacturers want you to buy every few years so go out of their way to make virtually any upgrades impossible, either too expensive or by black-listing (or white-listing) replacement components - Lenovo is king here. I had hopes of keeping my Lenovo going for a long time but have since been dissuaded when I learned the battery is soldered on the motherboard. Point of all this, I have been trying to determine what brands are open to easy upgrades, I'm under the impression that Dell is one of the best when it comes to extending the life of an old laptop.

Also, the truth is, if you want to have your cake and eat it too you need to build (or have built) a desktop, which is really the only scenario where you can litterally replace any part for a newer part should something break. The only drawback to computers anymore in my mind is the damn OS, we need more choices, and choices that work with any piece of hardware we throw at it. Really, only one choice right now - Windows IMO - sadly :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)

My only suggestion is DONT BUY an HP laptop! Their desktops I think are ok ?? I bought an HP when Vista came out
It cost me over £800 back then, It was a Pavillion DV9000 series first of all wi fi would drop out, took it back they replaced the mother board, then it would get hot...really hot, it got so hot it melted the metal hinge on the inside near cpu exhaust of course when using it you did not notice it had seized, I went to close the laptop and the corner of case splintered into bits, I took it back and they accused me of dropping it, 16 months old and scrap. Never Again there was class action taken against them but i had already sold it for £50 parts by then. I have had a Fujitsu laptop since 2010 apart from upgrading SSD never had a screw driver to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Fujitsu AH531
    CPU
    Intel i5-2.50Ghz (Sandy Bridge)
    Motherboard
    FJNBB0F