Solved BSOD while restarting the laptop

sumitpatwardhan

I recently started to face this problem. Here are the steps which I did and faced the problem:
1. My Wi-Fi connection gets lost.
2. Dignosing tells me that gateway is not available.
3. I checked the adapter and it is disabled. I enabled it but still it remains disabled.
4. I did it several times but no effect
5. So I restarted the laptop.
6. After some time it tells me "There is a problem and windows will collect info and restart it. you can search the problem: DEVICE_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
7. So I googled it and found a thread from this forum.

I have attached the .zip file as per the instructions on BSOD posting instructions.

I think this is happening because of some issue with the Wi-Fi adapter (or driver).
A little background: I downloaded Intel driver update utility 2.0 to update the wireless driver. It dowloaded the necessary version and tried to install it but it failed. Do you think this could be the reason?

Looking for reply.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
It has been 4 days now since this thread is online. Could you guys please help me as this is bit urgent. I can not use my laptop in public places because wi-fi adapter gets disabled. There is link between this issue and the wi-fi adapter/driver condition. Please reply soon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hello,
Right click on start button and select Command prompt (Admin)
type following into console:

c:
cd \
powercfg /energy

wait for command to complete ( cca 60 sec )
go to C drive by using Windows explorer
zip the "energy-report.html" and attach it here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Thank you for your great response. Although I'm a little worries as this is a different reply from what I saw on other posts.
Attached is the .zip file containing energy report html.
I read the html and found 4 errors and some warnings as well.
Now I think there is a relation between this problem and the battery not getting charged to full capacity. I have observed that the battery is getting charged to lesser % of total capacity day by day. (Day1 - 100%, Day3 - 93%, Day5 - 84%, Day7- 77%, Day9 - 72%).
Do you also think there could be a relation?
Thank you in advance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Now I think there is a relation between this problem and the battery not getting charged to full capacity. I have observed that the battery is getting charged to lesser % of total capacity day by day. (Day1 - 100%, Day3 - 93%, Day5 - 84%, Day7- 77%, Day9 - 72%).
Do you also think there could be a relation?
Thank you in advance.

There is nothing wrong in the report, but as you described it looks batery is going to die sooner or later.

Not sure when did you switch to Windows 8.1 but your drivers are old and probably not compatible with 8.1

So go to below link and install drivers: ( except BIOS )
Product Support | Dell US

Most notably video and network drivers.
Every stop is around win32k which has close relations to graphics driver.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
I went to the link you provided and found Dell Update Application which will update all the drivers automatically. I installed it and it updated 2 drivers but I can't find which ones are updated.

I also found a list of all the drivers which needed to be manually updated. So I downloaded all other drivers except BIOS. But I'm confused about which drivers to download in case of Video and Network. There are multiple options and I'm unable to decide which one is compatible for my system. Attached is the screenshot of the drivers I'm confused with. Can you please guide me through them?

Also if I now need to install them as the Dell Update application has maybe already updated them? I can't check what the Dell update has updated?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Thank you for the link for AMD drivers. I have downloaded the drivers and I no longer get the "Catalyst Control Center host process has stopped working" message.
However, as in the screenshots, my wireless drivers seem to be updated than the versions I have on the website. Except for the 1st option, Dell "Wireless 1704 Wifi + Bluetooth drivers". The update date and version seem to be relatively new but not newer than what I have.

Am I wrong here?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Question is where did you get these drivers?
drivers from manufacturer's website are specially designed for your make and model.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Yes, the WiFi started working now.
I am able to disable and re-enable the adapter again. (Sorry if I did not tell you this symptom earlier).
The laptop is able to restart again without showing me BSOD !!!!! :)
Thanks a ton for helping me out and answering patiently to my stupid questions. Many thanks!

**Just out of curiosity; If this problem persists again then should I start a new thread or continue with this one...?**

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Yes, the WiFi started working now.
I am able to disable and re-enable the adapter again. (Sorry if I did not tell you this symptom earlier).
The laptop is able to restart again without showing me BSOD !!!!! :)
Thanks a ton for helping me out and answering patiently to my stupid questions. Many thanks!

I'm glad your PC works now! :thumbsup:

**Just out of curiosity; If this problem persists again then should I start a new thread or continue with this one...?**

In case of new troubles in future it would be best to open a new thread because I might be dead in mean time therefore posting to this thread might not result in responses :drool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Hahaha!!
Good Humor ;) Must have come by handling various users by now. Great work buddy :)
I'm marking this thread as SOLVED. Again many thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back