BSOD-Restore n/g - chkdsk: c /r/f/x may have worked - should I get a new computer?

carolwin8nj

New here. pretty computer literate but no way a techie. Saw what I was supposed to run & post but a little complicated. if It is necessary, I will give it a whirl later today. not even sure what I should look for in eventviewer about chkdsk (run below)

Can you see my computer specs that i put in when I registered? dell intel core 13-213 cpu 3.40 ghz memory 6.0 gb (5.87 useable) 64 bit

computer was hanging after 5 minutes or so (firefox and outlook)

weird in that Malwarebytes web protection was turned off (not by me)? that ran for about 5 minutes and also hung.. also have win antivirus

BSOD / rebooted and PF12 and did a system test. everything was fine

restarted: tried to do a system restore but it didn't work and said to do a chkdsk

ran chkdsk r/x/f ( <= something like that) but would you believe that sometime last night the electric went out which is what they said was the WORST for chkdsk, hopefully it was finished

that seemed to have fixed things as everything is back this morning and responding (so far)

my question is: should I be worried and get a new computer? this one is is from 2012

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    dell
    CPU
    intel core i3 -2130 3.4ghz
    Memory
    6.0 gb (5.87 useable)
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd graphics
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    malwarebytes, webroot
Can you check again to see what CPU you have ?? Also the Model number of the Rig would help with the specs.

The BIG News all day yesterday was about Malwarebytes crashing everyone's PCs with the memory leak if you missed it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME
OMG: are you kidding about malwarebytes??? I was wondering why the web protection had turned off!!!!

cpu i3-2130 : i think

Where is the model number? my computer is wedged into a spot so if it is on the back bottom, i am SOL. anywhere I can find it within the system?

Goggled and did find out where the chkdsk important info was ( I put in the stars in the 3rd line as I do not know what is proprietary(?):

CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 48238
of name \Windows\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\PRNCAC~3.INF\Amd64\******.DPB.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 58993
of name \Windows\WinSxS\AM7F7F~1.163\tctree.dat.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 339313
of name \$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\WINDOW~1.CAB.
590576 files processed. File data verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
186661623 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    dell
    CPU
    Memory
    6.0 gb (5.87 useable)
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd graphics
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    malwarebytes, webroot
what is HDD? is that my c: drive? isn't that the 'whole computer' basically?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    dell
    CPU
    Memory
    6.0 gb (5.87 useable)
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd graphics
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    malwarebytes, webroot
Run Speccy or just look at See the name of this computer in Control Panel for the CPU. Should be Dell Inspiron 660 Specs given the age and nfo you've given so far ?

IF it works for what you're using it for, then there's no reason to replace it if it only needs a new hard drive ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME
that what it is: dell inspiron 660
why do you think I need a new hdd? didn't it get fixed?
are you talking about opening it up and putting in a new board? I've never done that but I do sort of know how it's done.
I have an external drive that backs up my files, photos but won't I lose all the programs on my desktop and have to reinstall everything?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    dell
    CPU
    Memory
    6.0 gb (5.87 useable)
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd graphics
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    malwarebytes, webroot
Hmm, lets say instead of living in LoUiSiAna Bat lived up some place cold,:eek: like Toronto, where they put salt on the roads to melt the ice. So the paint on my Acura engine's oil pan rusted off and all the metal is deeply pitted. Soon a leak starts, so I let enough oil leak out then plug the hole with JB Weld. The leak is "Fixed" but I would expect another leak to start later. Maybe several leaks and I'll burn the engine if I'm not watching the oil pressure. Same thing with Your Hard Drive. It's several years old and the PC is "wedged in" somewhere that I'd doubt has very good airflow. Once You've had bad sectors You should expect more later. By Cloning and replacing the HDD Now, you could prevent having to reinstall everything. In anticipation of the next questions I'll go ahead and post these YouTube Searches:
clone windows hard drive - YouTube

replace desktop hard drive - YouTube

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME
OMG. I do not know if I am technically proficient enough to deal with this. the laptop exchange looks much easier than the desktop. going to have to decide if it would be smarter to get a new desktop and just transfer my data etc from my external drive and download the programs I have installed. will look at the videos again tomorrow and try and figure out my next step. This is a major project for a novice as I can't afford to be without my computer if anything should go wrong. If I do decide to go forward with the clone / image, should I think about SDD instead of Hdd? BTW: thanks for all your help

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    dell
    CPU
    Memory
    6.0 gb (5.87 useable)
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd graphics
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    malwarebytes, webroot
An SSD is always a good option. You will feel like you have a new computer. I would strongly suggest an SSD if it is within your budget. You could get a smaller SSD and a mechanical hard driver for your dta, keep only the OS and programs on the SSD. That's what most of us do.

I realize replacing a hard drive is intimidating to many people/ But seriously it is not that technical nor is it difficult. Just watch how you take the old one out and put the new one in the same way. There are only 2 wires that connect to it and you can't plug them in wrong. It's really not that hard. But once you get bad sectors on your hard drive, its life expectancy is usually pretty short. You could also be suffering from some errors if there was data written to those bad sectors. Also, in my opinion, I would do a clean install of windows on the new drive when you get it. We can guide you through that. It's pretty easy. If there are bad sectors, and errors in those sectors will be carried over to the new drive with an image or a clone. I know some people would clone it anyway, but if you are going to get a new drive, it is a great time to start off fresh and new.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brew - always under construction
    CPU
    i7-8700K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus X Apex
    Memory
    16GB G Skill Trident X DDR4-3200C14
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3
    Sound Card
    On Board Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus 27" 144Hz/ 2X Asus 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 250 GB, Samsung 960 500 GB, 2X Samsung 850 500 GB
    PSU
    EVGA 1050 W
    Case
    Phanteks Entloo Luxe
    Cooling
    Corsair H 105
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH G510
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 & Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    Foot Messenger speed
    Browser
    ie11, Chrome, Firefox
    Antivirus
    ESET, Mbam and SAS
    Other Info
    Samsung RF711-SO1 Laptop, Windows 7 HP, i5-2410
    Dell Inspiron, Windows 8 X64
the thing that is most concerning to me is that I do internet sales and need my computer every day. I have a laptop too but not sure I could depend on that in a crunch (maybe I could, just not 100% sure). it sounds like I should upgrade to win 10 (I have 8, which I am not crazy about). and, if i do that, I am only cloning my applications (which I hate having to download again but probably could) as my data is on my backup external drive. and, if you are saying that I would be 'imaging' bad sectors just trying to keep my programs, I am not seeing the value in cloning at all.
although it seems like a simple enough process (watched the you tube videos) to change out the drive physically, if that boot media doesn't work, I would be cooked. it makes me panicky to think I could mess it up. I am behind the computer most of the day but rarely 'inside' it.

If I am upgrading the OS, not cloning the data (no need), and could potentially copy over bad sectors keeping the applications. what is the point of cloning? I suppose I could just put in the new SSD but how do you make it do anything (boot, for starters)? Can you buy a new computer with an SSD? I swear i am leaning that way so I do not have to disable the one I have. any recommendations? I have a dell inspiron 660 with 6GB of memory now. no gaming.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    dell
    CPU
    Memory
    6.0 gb (5.87 useable)
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd graphics
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    malwarebytes, webroot
thanks for the input all. just to update (in case anyone GAS), I decided to get a new computer. dell i5 with SSD. that way, I can download my applications and move my data with no pressure and still have my current computer while it is still functioning. then, I will replace the HD in this one, download win10 and give it to my BF (and again take my time to figure out how to get it up and running).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    dell
    CPU
    Memory
    6.0 gb (5.87 useable)
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd graphics
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    malwarebytes, webroot
Since you work from home on your PC, then having one that works is a necessity. Also having a spare PC just in case something goes wrong is a good idea. I'd advise watching the cloning Vids and keeping a fairly up-to-date backup of your OS going forward. A lot of the members on this Site use Macrium Reflect Free. I've been using a different paid program that I don't really see any need to pay to upgrade, so I'll probly start using Macrium in the near future.

When replacing a Hard Drive it's Always a better idea to do a fresh install and since you're gifting your old Rig to your BF, then it'd be highly recommended. It's a little more complicated on the SFF size desktops versus a regular mid-size case but there's no reason to be intimidated. Your old Dell is still a capable enough machine for business uses, web surfing, and watching Cam Girls. :rolleyes: It's even capable of low-level games like Minecraft and the LEGO games etc. if your BF is into that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME
When I replace the HDD and install win10, do I need a boot disk or will it boot automatically with windows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    dell
    CPU
    Memory
    6.0 gb (5.87 useable)