BSOD Dump Files to Analyze

Hello Blueelvis,

Could you take a look at my most recent BSOD (9/15/2014) and let me know which driver caused it? Thank you !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-4430 CPU @3.00GHz
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB ATI Radeon HD 7570 Graphics
    Browser
    Internet Explorer and Google Chrome
Hi Stephen ^_^,

I haven't seen a case where a faulty Port causing BSOD's but a simple google search that they can occur as well. Let me know how it goes with the HDMI Port.

Furthermore, the dump files do not reveal any information which could tell us something.
3: kd> kbRetAddr : Args to Child : Call Site
fffff803`829647e9 : 00000000`0000000a fffff801`5dff5ac0 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000008 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff803`8296303a : 00000000`00000008 ffffd001`52a7db00 00000000`00000000 ffffd001`52a7d810 : nt!KiBugCheckDispatch+0x69
fffff801`5dff5ac0 : fffff803`82847760 ffffffff`fffe2b40 00000000`002c99b2 00000000`00000004 : nt!KiPageFault+0x23a
fffff803`82847760 : ffffffff`fffe2b40 00000000`002c99b2 00000000`00000004 fffff803`829df628 : 0xfffff801`5dff5ac0
fffff803`8295c7ea : ffffd001`52a69180 ffffd001`52a69180 ffffd001`52a752c0 ffffe000`63a79080 : nt!KiRetireDpcList+0x4f0
00000000`00000000 : ffffd001`52a7e000 ffffd001`52a78000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiIdleLoop+0x5a
We can just see that the processor started processing the DPC List after the IdleLoop but a Page Fault occurred. Also, I don't see anything suspicious in the Loaded modules list.

In order to debug further, I would require a Complete Dump file which is located inside - "C:\Windows\Memory.DMP". Please make sure you ZIP THE FILE before uploading it to a host like MediaFire,OneDrive etc. But, I think we must give Driver Verifier a run before asking for the Complete Memory Dump. Follow this **GUIDE** and make sure that you let it crash a few times.

Let me know how it goes ^_^

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro B-)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Core I5 2430M @ 2.4GHz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz Dual Channel ^_^
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000 B-)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 500 GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Common Sense!
Hi Stephen ^_^,

I haven't seen a case where a faulty Port causing BSOD's but a simple google search that they can occur as well. Let me know how it goes with the HDMI Port.

Furthermore, the dump files do not reveal any information which could tell us something.
3: kd> kbRetAddr : Args to Child : Call Site
fffff803`829647e9 : 00000000`0000000a fffff801`5dff5ac0 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000008 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff803`8296303a : 00000000`00000008 ffffd001`52a7db00 00000000`00000000 ffffd001`52a7d810 : nt!KiBugCheckDispatch+0x69
fffff801`5dff5ac0 : fffff803`82847760 ffffffff`fffe2b40 00000000`002c99b2 00000000`00000004 : nt!KiPageFault+0x23a
fffff803`82847760 : ffffffff`fffe2b40 00000000`002c99b2 00000000`00000004 fffff803`829df628 : 0xfffff801`5dff5ac0
fffff803`8295c7ea : ffffd001`52a69180 ffffd001`52a69180 ffffd001`52a752c0 ffffe000`63a79080 : nt!KiRetireDpcList+0x4f0
00000000`00000000 : ffffd001`52a7e000 ffffd001`52a78000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiIdleLoop+0x5a
We can just see that the processor started processing the DPC List after the IdleLoop but a Page Fault occurred. Also, I don't see anything suspicious in the Loaded modules list.

Unfortunately, the MiniDump file has not saved enough information in it :( . In order to debug further, I would require a Complete Dump file which is located inside - "C:\Windows\Memory.DMP". Please make sure you ZIP THE FILE before uploading it to a host like MediaFire,OneDrive etc. But, I think we must give Driver Verifier a run before asking for the Complete Memory Dump. Follow this **GUIDE** and make sure that you let it crash a few times.

Let me know how it goes ^_^

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Core I5 2430M @ 2.4GHz
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000 B-)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 500 GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
Hello BlueElvis,

Thank you for your patience with me.

I hope this file will work for you. I ran verifier for more than a few crashes. I'll be holding off on making any changes until you report back with any guidance.

Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5KC9UkyL7Y0NXBLVlFGbFZUQnc/edit?usp=sharing

If this isn't the right file... can you help me find directions for the right way to do it? Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
While waiting for a reply from blueelvis, I'd suggest hardware diagnostics.
I maintain a list of free one's here: Hardware Diagnostics
I ask for these due to the presence of NTFS.sys in the raw stack text.
This is not a conclusive diagnosis, so the hard drive test is the one that you should probably start with.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Came with the laptop (i7 of some sort)
    Motherboard
    Pretty sure that it has one, but haven't checked inside the case!
    Memory
    upgraded to 12 gB from 8 gB
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    I'm nearly deaf, so this isn't used often
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    - Switched to 500 gB Samsung 840 series SSD - WOW!!!
    PSU
    Why do we ask this for laptops?
    Case
    Silver with a neat Samsung logo
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    too slow when I'm waiting for a download to finish
    Browser
    Yes, I use this (Firefox mostly, w/IE next most)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
    Other Info
    I'm handsome and a snappy dresser :0)
Hey USASMA

BlueElvis has provided me the link to the hardware diagnostics page. I've run Furmark, Memtest86, and a antimalware test scanner on the page.

I do need some guidance for running the Hard Drive test. I have a Toshiba hard drive and have tried using the tools suggested with no success. I'm sort of going into this with little knowledge. Is there a specific utility you'd use on this page? I'm on Windows 8.1.
View attachment 50983

If so, could you provide a few instructions on what I would do? That would be much appreciated.

I will work on running more tests while I wait for the reports from BlueElvis. Appreciate all of the help thus far!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
It's much simpler to use the Seagate Seatools test.
In this case (because you're having difficulties) run the long/extended test inside of Windows.
Here's the link to the Seatools for Windows test: SeaTools for Windows | Seagate
Press on the "I Accept" button and it'll take you to a download page. Download it and install it - then run the program

I'd suggest that you run Prime95 after that, as it's simple to run and it will easily tell you if there's something wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hi Stephen ^_^,

The Complete dump file provided by you has the bugcheck
Code:
[B]DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION ([COLOR=#FF0000]c4[/COLOR])[/B]A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught.  This is
because the driver was specified in the registry as being suspect (by the
administrator) and the kernel has enabled substantial checking of this driver.
[B]If the driver attempts to corrupt the system, bugchecks [COLOR=#FF0000]0xC4[/COLOR], 0xC1 and 0xA will[/B]
[B]be among the most commonly seen crashes.[/B]

Now, the bugcheck detailed that a Net_Buffer_List went missing or is pending and the driver did not respond for 22 seconds which caused the crash.

DV_VIOLATED_CONDITION: The miniport driver hasn't processed any NBL in the past 22 seconds.

On checking the dump file for further information, no pending or missing NBL's were found which is very strange. I have asked a friend of mine to check whether I have missed something or not.

Till the time, see if you are getting the crashes if you disable your Network Adapter and remove the Ethernet if you are connected to the Internet and disconnect via Wifi if you are connected via that. See if it still BSOD's or not.

Let me know how it goes ^_^.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Core I5 2430M @ 2.4GHz
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000 B-)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 500 GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
Hello Usasma and BlueElvis,

I ran SeaTools test on the hard drive and passed (long extended). I also ran Prime95 for an Hour and a Half (all passes) and CPU temp never rose above 73 degrees C.

BlueElvis, I disabled the network adapter and removed my Ethernet cable and still received a BSOD while gaming.

Any other suggestions at this point?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
Hello Usasma and BlueElvis,

I ran SeaTools test on the hard drive and passed (long extended). I also ran Prime95 for an Hour and a Half (all passes) and CPU temp never rose above 73 degrees C.

BlueElvis, I disabled the network adapter and removed my Ethernet cable and still received a BSOD while gaming.

Any other suggestions at this point?

Hi CaddyQuinn ^_^,

Disable the Network Adapter and then keep on running Driver Verifier. Let it crash for few times and then run the SF Diagnostic Tool to create a fresh ZIP file and then upload that so that could be analyzed.

Also, if you are having multiple RAM Sticks, please change the ports and then if you could run the PC on one RAM Stick at a time and see if the crashes occur or not.

Let me know how it goes ^_^.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Core I5 2430M @ 2.4GHz
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000 B-)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 500 GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
Can you help me out with this one?

I've had a couple random BSOD's and general PC weirdness recently. I'm the worst kind of tinkerer, smart enough to get into trouble, not smart enough to get out of it. Any help?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard
    Asus 990fx
    Memory
    16gb g-skill 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Sapphire 7950
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Malwarebytes / Defender
cschodt - please start your own topic so that your problem can get the individual attention that it deserves.
We'll be glad to help there. Be sure to include the attachement as that's what we do most of our work from.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hello BlueElvis,

Sorry for being absent from the thread for an extended time. I'm currently testing out the memory and it's a long process. Whenever I'm home I try to work on my desktop.

Here's an update on what I'm testing:

All my memory has passed Memtest and Windows memory checker, so I decided to label each memory card 1-4. I placed the first card in slot 3 and received no BSOD for about 3 days of using the computer (normally I'd get a blue screen). I took it out and recorded it. Then tried another card which I'm currently testing and so far so good, no BSOD.

I'm hoping I find can pin point the problem to a specific memory stick and I'll report back! Also, do you know how likely it is that the ports could be faulty? Because I'm only testing the sticks in slot 3 for now.

Appreciate all the support and time put into my issue. If there's anything you'd like me to do on my end to help you out let me know! Can't thank you all enough for the support.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
It's possible for the memory ports to go bad - and while it's not real common, it does happen.
The test is to find a stick that you know is good - and then try it in each of the ports (slots).

If you find one that passes all tests in Slot 3 - then try that one in all of the other slots.
If none pass all tests in Slot 3, then test the other slots (one-by-one) until you find one that passes at least one stick

If none pass in any of the slots, then (if your RAM is under warranty) return it for replacement.
Then test the replacements in each slot. Keep going until you find something that will pass

FWIW - it's unlikely that both the RAM and the slots are bad - but I suppose that it is possible.
But after testing other RAM (the replacements that I mention above) - it's most likely that the slot/slots are bad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hello Usasma,

I have had nothing but passes with my memory and even tested them in each slot. This was a pretty long process and I was hoping for results.

I accidentally tipped my desktop while working on it, and had to replace my hard-drive. Reinstalled my OS and updated the drivers.. so unfortunately, my BSOD's may show items I fixed earlier and are now reoccurring due to my accident.

It looks like memory is good to go or perhaps is failing? I have tested everyone using the tools you've mentioned and now I'm wondering if the Graphics card may be failing? I only receive BSOD while gaming.

Appreciate all the help thus far and sorry for my absence.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
If you have another graphics card, try that.
If you don't, you may be able to purchase one from a shop that accepts returns (in case it's not needed) - and you can test with that.

Beyond that, here's a link to a hardware stripdown procedure that might help to narrow down the problem: Hardware Stripdown Troubleshooting

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I've been BSOD free for a few days now. My fingers are crossed, but it seems everything is running decent now.

I think updating the Wireless Driver and Graphics Driver manually, along with CCleaner and restart did the trick... I'll wait and see. I think it was just being picky with the driver updating correctly.

One problem that has risen is a terribly slow start up from my desktop being shut down. It used to be blazing fast and nothing has really changed much. Any tips on speeding that process up, or something I may have done to slow this down?

The only thing that has changed is my hard drive, but they were the same at 7200 rpm except this new one has the feature of running at the speed needed at the time. Some eco friendly WD drive. So Toshiba to WD essentially.

Anyway thanks for all the help... you all definitely helped me from going completely insane on this issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
I'd post over in the General Forums or the Hardware Forums to see if anyone is familiar with this.
FWIW - when my hard drive was too slow, I upgraded to a 500 gB SSD. It cost a pretty penny - but the speed increase is definitely worth it!

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back