Solved Brother DCP-195C printer package installation error

kiwifruit

Hi all. I have upgraded my laptop to windows 8 (from windows 7) but I'm having trouble installing the software for my printer (Brother multifunction dcp-195C). I have downloaded and attempted to run the latest Full Driver & Software Package (DCP-195C-inst-B1-win78) available from the Brother website (using windows 8 64-bit option).

The set up runs into a problem: as soon as I select the set up option "standard" or even the "custom" option I get the error:
The MFL-Pro suite has already been installed. There are no additional items to install.

I can see the "MFL-Pro suite DCP-195C" item in my list of installed programs, however I cannot get the Control Centre 3 application running (which I used when I was on windows 7), and I can't see it in the list of installed applications.

I have tried uninstalling the Brother application using their tool (delinf1013_0), which says the uninstall run successfully (and in fact I cannot see the brother application on my listed apps). But when I try to re-run the Brother install package , I get the same error (and "MFL-Pro suite DCP-195C" item in my list of installed programs).

I have tried contacting Brother support, but I didn't get any help (except to suggest following the Brother install instructions, which I have done) and a search online didn't reveal any solution to my problem.

Anyone got the same error ? or more importantly know how to fix this?

any suggestions greatly appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
A semi-random suggestion:

Disconnect the printer from the PC.

Uninstall the current drivers.

Remove the printer from Devices, if there's still an entry.

Install the new driver/utility package.

I'm not quite sure how the installation would proceed. Either connect the printer when prompted, or after the software installation is complete.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    homebuilt
    CPU
    I7-3930k
    Motherboard
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Gskill DDR3-2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Zx
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus PA246Q
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force GT 120GB
    WD Cavair Black 1.5TB
    PSU
    PC Power & cooling Silencer 750
    Case
    Silverstone FT02B-W
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 w/ PWM fans
    Keyboard
    cheap Logitech USB wired
    Mouse
    old 5 button Microsoft USB optical
    Internet Speed
    6Mb cable
Thanks bobkn for your reply. I have already done the steps you have suggested (uninstalling old driver, removing the brother entry form devices and reinstalling) the error is still coming up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
in case someone has the same issue... I have solved this by removing any reference to CC3 (control centre) exe or path from the registry (in particular I had a CC3 version 2.0 entry which is not compatible with windows 8). Risky I know but it worked in my case. After that I rerun the Full Driver & Software Package wizard and it worked.:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
help please kiwifruit

Hi kiwifruit. I am very much interested with regards to what you did. that is removing any reference to control center CC3 to solve your problem. i have the same problem - installing the driver for my brother printer dcp-195c to my laptop with windows 8 os. please help me with the step by step on how you did it. waiting for your kind reply. thanks in advance.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
brotherm, I have to say that I do not recommend to interfere with the registry, however I was desperate :( and I decided to give it a try. If you feel that you have tried all other avenues, make sure that you have backed up all your important data before attempting this, removing entries from the registry can leave your machine in an unstable state. So you are warned!

What I did was to run the official Brother un-installer first (see my other post) and then run the registry editor: on the win 8 start screen type "regedit". It will redirect you to the desktop and run the application. Now you can search for entries using CTRL+F . I searched in the whole registry for CC3 and then I deleted all the entries which had an exe or an CC3 associated path (to quickly find the next entries click on F3). Finally I re-run the Full Driver & Software Package wizard, and it worked for me.

Good luck (and I mean it), I know how frustrating it can be

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Back