Breathing Life into Surface Pro 1

RBS

I got a Surface Pro 1 (1514) for a good price, the unit is almost pristine (almost)
I am having 2 different issues that I might get some answers to (I am not familiar with the Surface Line at all)

Battery;
sometimes it shows not detected, I do all the common fixes online..
it will then show 100% not charging, or just not charging, etc.. bottom line is "it's not charging"
Are these units prone to battery issues? will replacing battery resolve issue (best guess)

Upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1
I can't get this top upgrade, it keeps coming back with an update device drivers issue.
However, I also read if the battery is not at least 40% charged it won't upgrade.
Is that true? because I have done all the updates but yet it still won't go through.

One last thing I was also told that to upgrade I must have pretty much a pristine machine (no other software installed other than windows 8.0)
Is that true

OMG we noobs
thnx

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
I was also told that to upgrade I must have pretty much a pristine machine (no other software installed other than windows 8.0)
Is that true

I can't imagine this being true. But this is one thing that you need to be aware of: If you have installed anything in Windows (that is, you do not have a "pristine" machine), and you do a clean-install upgrade to a newer version of Windows, whatever you installed previously will be overwritten - in other words, you will end up once again with a "pristine" install of Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Well I have already re-installed like 5 times, and it wouldn't upgrade. I thought I would keep it as a window 8 machine but one app I use is no longer supported on 8.

Does anyone have an answer on the battery question? I think that is the real culprit. Battery detection problems were notorious on the earlier Surface machines

[Updatted]

I actually got it up and running

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
Back