• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Brand New ASUS laptop 100% disk usage

Hi,

I purchased an Asus x501a laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled at the beginning of the month. They sold me Nortons 360 which I installed. The laptop keeps freezing and if I look in the task manager the disk useage keeps reaching 100% every few seconds and lots of things aren't working properly; the internet connection keeps falling off, when using apps such as facebook it keeps freezing; internet pages are taking seconds to load instead of miliseconds. I can't believe this should be happening to a brand new laptop. Before I take it back I want to check whether it is actually a windows 8 problem (I suspect it is) as it uploaded 46 or more new updates to Windows 8 when I switched it on and these could potentially mean something else on the ASUS kit is outdated.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated. Please note that it is not a touch screen laptop (why would I buy one of those windows when I can successfully use my ipad and phone for this). The reason I bought a laptop is that I don't want touchscreen and just want an old fashioned computer to do use for work/other simple tasks. I will keep my ipad for social media use etc as the facebook app on windows 8 is designed for a touchscreen which I don't have! Maybe I should have bought something with Windows 7 on it??:confused:

Thanks
Kate

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS x501A
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 2.2 ghz
    Memory
    4GB
    Browser
    internet explorer
    Antivirus
    Nortons 360 Gold

Johnd76

You say you installed Norton on it, it may be nothing but try uninstalling that and see if the problem still exists

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Pentium Dual core
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 7050
    Hard Drives
    285GB
    PSU
    Tesla 750W
    Internet Speed
    5 Mbps
    Browser
    Chrome

Skulblaka

Are you Alive?
You could try to do a clean install for your laptop. The computers bought from stores have a tendency to be preloaded with a bunch of useless garbage that bogs the entire computer down. I believe it's best to simply start "fresh" when you buy a new computer.

How to Do a Clean Install of Windows 8

If you're going to try that, make sure you know your license key for your operating system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570k
    Motherboard
    ASRock Intel Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Cooling
    Hyper 212

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)