Battery Power

Pepper

I have a Win8.1 HP laptop that battery power drops to 94% overnight when shut down and unplugged. It only does this every other day. One day when powered up it shows 100%, the next day 94%, the next day 100%, etc. This is with 100% showing when shut down. I have turned off fast start up, hibernation, sleep, disabled maintenance, and also turn off wifi before shutting down. Any ideas what might be causing this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 680
    Sound Card
    idfk
    Screen Resolution
    15' 1080p display
    Internet Speed
    70Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome Canary
    Antivirus
    AVAST Premiere 2015
With it happening every other day, it acts like the laptop is turning its self on to phone home or perform some type of maintenance, even though I have it disabled. This is a known problem with certain HP laptops and so far i haven't heard of a fix. If the problem is battery calibration, seems like it would happen every time or randomly, not in such a orderly fashion (every other day). I believe Win 10 has something called "connected share" that can cause this. Don't think Win 8.1 has it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Not any specific advice on what may be happening but one thing I would try, to ascertain if the loss of charge is due to the laptop, or just the internal resistances in the battery itself.

Simply, (assuming this is possible), remove the battery from the laptop overnight and if the power loss is similar to the loss when fitted into the laptop then it's likely to be due to the internal processes of the battery.

If not then the cause would be in the laptop itself. This could be a software reason as you have stated or or some low draw internal process, to retain something like temporary Volatile RAM or even the TPM security systems.

Once you know the cause you can follow the most logical investigation path

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Real World Computing
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 @60Hz + 1920 x 1080 @60Hz
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial 256GB SSD,
    WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 3TB,
    Toshiba HDWD130 3TB
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)

NAS
    Seagate ST4000DM000
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Devil Red Tower
    Cooling
    Stock CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K710 & K270
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless M710 M185 & M570 Trackball
    Internet Speed
    37Mb/s Down - 9.5Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender Total Security 2017
    Other Info
    Also run...

Desktop - 6Core 8GB - Windows 10 Enterprise x64,
    Laptop - Quad 8GB - Windows 10 Pro x64
    Netbook - Ubuntu
    2 x Nexus 7 Android tablets
    Samsung 10.2" tablet
    Sony Z3 Android Smartphone
    HTC One Android Smartphone
I have tried removing the battery after shutting down the laptop and it remains at 100% when re-installed the next day. This seems to indicate it is something taking place in the laptop when it is off. The event viewer system log does not show any activity after shutdown. I unplug it from the AC every night and plug it back in the next morning. If you leave the battery in, the first day it's 100%. The second day it shows 92-94%. Third day 100%. Fourth day 92-94%. Seems like some thing is scheduled to run every other day, but nothing is logged. I'm baffled !!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
I also have this issue but since my laptop is really old hence I guess it's the battery issue, as most people suggest. How old is your battery/laptop?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Battery/laptop is about three years old, but has always had this problem. Strange, I also have a old HP laptop (2004 model) with original battery and it takes about a week of being unplugged to show any discharge.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
I have tried removing the battery after shutting down the laptop and it remains at 100% when re-installed the next day. This seems to indicate it is something taking place in the laptop when it is off. The event viewer system log does not show any activity after shutdown. I unplug it from the AC every night and plug it back in the next morning. If you leave the battery in, the first day it's 100%. The second day it shows 92-94%. Third day 100%. Fourth day 92-94%. Seems like some thing is scheduled to run every other day, but nothing is logged. I'm baffled !!

Thinking about things, this is a HP laptop and they do include various "valuable Utilities" The process causing the drain could be one of these - set to "phone Home" every other day or process some data . now this should be reported in the logs as a Windows process would be, but there is no guarantee that this would be the case with a third party process. You may want to check the startup using something like Autoruns for any HP processes running (look at scheduled tasks with "Wake" access and if you locate anything do a google search on what it does, you can uncheck the process in Autoruns to check for any improvement, but would only do this once you know it's purpose ;)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Real World Computing
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial 256GB SSD,
    Toshiba HDWD130 3TB

External (USB3)

NAS
    Seagate ST4000DM000
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    37Mb/s Down - 9.5Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Also run...

Netbook - Ubuntu
    Samsung 10.2" tablet
A few months ago I wiped the HD and installed a retail version of Win 8.1 to get rid of all the HP bloatware/utilities. The only thing remaining HP is the hardware. I install Bios updates as they become available. Some Intel processors "phone home" , but according to their website the one in this laptop does not. If some software is compiling data to be sent later, seems like it would be more stealthy to do it while the laptop is powered up, than giving its self away by battery drainage while shutdown. Btw, the only thing given wake access is the mouse. ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
I kinda remember somewhere either in the bios or windows to allow the USB to remain powered up even when the system is off.

try disconnecting all USB devices overnight and see if you still get 94% in the morning

Also there are battery monitors that read each cell and shows you if any of the cells are weak,sorry i dont have the name handy
but i will look and ammend...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 & 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    DELL Latitude D820
    Memory
    4GB
    Browser
    Opera
    Antivirus
    MalwareBytes
I tried turning off and disconnecting all USB devices and it didn't make any difference. Remember, the battery drain only occurs every other day. I also did a battery power report and it shows the battery is still at maximum capacity. ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Btw, the only thing given wake access is the mouse.
Just noticed this and it got me thinking, I would not expect a mouse to take very much power but it could cause occasional Wake actions that might do.
A modern mouse has become, in my opinion, a bit too sensitive and can see the slightest vibration to the desk it's sat on as a user input, this is enough to start a wake action, Wake actions have a timer so that if they are not used for a set period [this is user configurable somewhere in the Registry], then the wake is cancelled and the system shuts down again.

Now this is a clutching at straws possibility but something external to the immediate system which causes the mouse to vibrate enough to trigger the mouse could be a possibility though only a slight one, I've seen reports of local traffic waking a mouse, (the system was in the user's bedroom so used to wake them when the screen lit up )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Real World Computing
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial 256GB SSD,
    Toshiba HDWD130 3TB

External (USB3)

NAS
    Seagate ST4000DM000
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    37Mb/s Down - 9.5Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Also run...

Netbook - Ubuntu
    Samsung 10.2" tablet
I thought the mouse might be causing the problem so I started disconnecting it (USB) after shutdown and it didn't make any difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Back