Badges?

I was just curious as I just noticed some of the newer members had them and Abhishek and I don't.
To me it is not a big deal as I like checking in once a week to see what's going on.
Thanks for getting back Kodi!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium S 64 bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUSTek
    Memory
    4 Gb Dual channel DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    512MB GeForce 8500GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w 2408 Vivid Color Widescreen LCD
    Cooling
    Cooling Budweiser now
    Keyboard
    MS intell keyboard
    Mouse
    MS intelli Mouse
    Internet Speed
    US Postal Service
I am starting to see more and more regulars on SF over here. Now i'll need a new sig for EF (hint-hint):D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Home Premium
    Dell XPS 730
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme X9770 @ 3.2 GHz
    Memory
    8 GHz Muskin 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GTX 250
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Fatality Champion
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 Dell 2007 WFP
    Screen Resolution
    3360 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Black 1TB Sata, 2 WD Black 500 Sata, 2 500 FreeAgent GO external
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Keyboard
    MS Natural Pro
    Mouse
    Logiteck Cordless Trackman Wheel
    Internet Speed
    DSL
Yes it is, once John recognises that you are contributing to SF and active on EF he will give you your member badge and VIP Member badge.

This is all done from what I can deduce fro what little John will actually tell us but I've got 4 people who seam to think this happened to them (including me) so I think this is right.

Keep your posting up her and on SF and you should get both badges in a week or two.

It may be longer because EF is kind of in melt down and John has to fix it ;).

Oli

So activity in VF doesn't count - it has to be in SF? That's too bad because while relatively new, I'm quite active in VF. I haven't yet posted in SF (because I don't yet have a computer with W7 and have not even used the OS yet so I don't feel qualified to answer questions there - and it may be some time before I buy a new computer as mine cannot be upgraded). Perhaps they're similar enough that I'll try (but I hate guessing - I'm not sure it's even fair to the thread starter - and prefer to be able to confirm replies on my system before providing them). Maybe I'll spend some time there and see how it goes. Like here, I did sign up a while ago (to make sure nobody took my username) but this is actually my first post in either forum. I'm sure that will change sooner or later - especially since VF is not especially busy and I do have time to do more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    32-bit Vista Business SP2
    Dell Laptop E1705
Welcome to the Wait for Eight Lorien :)

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Welcome to the Wait for Eight Lorien :)

A Guy

Thanks, Guy! I'm not quite sure yet what I'm doing here - or what this place is all about yet - I'm sort of just browsing around at present to see what's here. I came to this thread to learn about badges, posted the prior message, and suddenly I had two badges! WOW! I'm not even sure what they mean. The other forums have threads about badges and rep and how they are earned and which are available and so it is possible to plan ahead for the next one and set personal goals for achievement - but I can't find that equivalent information here. Let me show you by example: Reputation and Badges - Vista Forums. I went through this thread and found nothing like that. You seem to have been here a while. Is it somewhere else or has it simply not yet been created yet?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dell Laptop E1705
Thanks, Guy! I'm not quite sure yet what I'm doing here - or what this place is all about yet - I'm sort of just browsing around at present to see what's here. I came to this thread to learn about badges, posted the prior message, and suddenly I had two badges! WOW! I'm not even sure what they mean. The other forums have threads about badges and rep and how they are earned and which are available and so it is possible to plan ahead for the next one and set personal goals for achievement - but I can't find that equivalent information here. Let me show you by example: Reputation and Badges - Vista Forums. I went through this thread and found nothing like that. You seem to have been here a while. Is it somewhere else or has it simply not yet been created yet?

As Windows 8 has not yet been released we can't really help anyone with Windows 8 related issues. This means that it isn't all that fair to rep anyone just because we are here now.

Therefore there is nothing to base badges on - so the admin just give them out if they feel like it.

Basically - Eightforum's current set up is for server/software testing purposes and it is not a fully functional forum yet.

Hope that explains it.

Last edited:

My Computer

Thanks, reventon!

I guess John was, in a way, answering my question about whether or not participation in VF counted as much as in SF. So far, he seems to like my work in VF and I have been quite active there even if I am still rather new, so I guess this was his way of showing me that effort was appreciated and he expects something equivalent here eventually. I wouldn't worry too much about it - you'll no doubt get them and probably others (if I can find out what they all are) in time. I see some members are already part of the EF Team who were part of the VF Team - so I guess that sort of carried over as well (and some of the mods as well). But the badges in VF (and in SF from what I read there) are not only based on rep - they are also based on contribution (Supporter), posting volume (Gold Member), skills (Developer), Microsoft-awards (MVP), and so forth.

I sort of agree with you about giving rep in what is essentially at this stage mostly a chat room more than an assistance-based forum, but rep to me is not only posting an answer to a question/problem concerning the purpose of the forum (though that's the main reason and, of course, the way a thread starter can thank the person who provided the answer or helped - typically newbies but sometimes even experienced members as I've seen people with hundreds of posts and even Guru badges post questions because we too get stuck sometimes (I've done it myself)), but also for generally helping others with related or even unrelated questions (perhaps about the forum or how to build a website or how to code a .bat file or even providing suggestions for things to include in a zip folder of helpful batch files for members to use - and not merely for specific posts on the forum focus (though that's most common for thread starters) but for a series of good posts that maybe individually aren't worth a lot of rep but collectively should be rewarded so you pick one and rep it and comment that it's not only for that post but for all the other good work throughout the forum - typically done by longer term members where the rep value is very high and it's hard to see any one post no matter how well done being worth that much rep)) - even things that are not really covered explicitly in the forum categories and may even be in the Chillout Room or the VIP Forum or wherever. For now, I'm mostly looking around and seeing what's up here before I do a lot of posting and certainly before I rep (or expect to get rep). I'm not quite used to or as comfortable with chat rooms as opposed to forums where I can help people and learn - so I'll just have to see how it goes. With VF as slow as it is at the moment (and not likely to improve over time), I should have the fime.

I've been on VF since 8/31 (but I had over 9700 posts in the forum I was in prior to that so I am somewhat experienced at this sort of thing and wish I'd switched earlier or started there instead because it is MUCH better here in many different ways - management, setup, features, environment, friendliness, cooperation and more - than it was there) and VF has been around for a while so it is essentially "fully developed" and it really isn't all that different from here. Yes, there are many minor differences in format and color and presentation - but I can see they used essentially the same templates and modified them somewhat to reflect their new tastes in how they want things to look (or simply to have a bit of variation between the forums). At the moment, I'd have to say I like VF a little better - but that's probably more because I'm used to it than because it really is any better. I can also see things here that I prefer - and I'll eventually grow accustomed to this style and maybe even come to prefer it. While I'm sure it still is under development and will change as they go along, what parts of this forum do you currently see as not being fully-functional yet (just curious)?

Thanks for the reply (and once you get to know me, you'll learn that long posts are somewhat common for me - sometimes good and sometimes not so good but as an author, I do like to write and sometimes get carried away - LOL!).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dell Laptop E1705
This is currently like the Chillout room and a test bed for John/mods.

But its also upping post count and registration time for when W8 DOES come out :D

~Lordbob

By the time Windows 8 releases all the regulars who had joined early (now or even earlier) should be instant gurus and gold members but by the same token all the regulars will probably also test the beta ( if possible ) being in good position to help new members when the official release occurs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 2
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My own abomination, I call it the Money Pit
    CPU
    Intel i7 2600K @ 3.40 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth P67
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Dual Channel Kit
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING 10GB GDDR6X
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek or Nvidia High Definition Audio (HDMI)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung JS7000 50" SUHD TV or Samsung 27" FHD 60Hz 8ms GTG VA LED Smart Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 x Samsung 870 EVO 250 GB SSD (Windows 10 Pro), 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD (Windows 10 Pro)
    PSU
    Corsair AX860 - 860W Modular Power Supply
    Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Case - Black
    Cooling
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech K830 Illuminated Living-Room Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Anywhere 2S Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10/100/1000 Mbps capable
    Browser
    (Primary) Latest Firefox version & Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    ESET Internet Security
    Other Info
    LG Super Multi Blue Internal Blu-ray Disk Rewriter - BH10LS30
    6x2 HDMI Switcher (6 inputs, 2 outputs) so I can send the output of my Cable Box, Roku, or any my 4 computers to either my TV or Monitor separately or simultaneously.
I would certainly expect, or encourage, John zeroing out, or at least editing post counts here when the forum actually starts to "work". I personally post every day in quote and listening to forums. I'm not expecting my post count to stand if we are going to have post based badges. I could be wrong, but I personally don't want to run up a "false" post count. A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Personnaly i just check in every couple days hopeing someone wil be here at the same time, so far it's been pretty sparse

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Home Premium
    Dell XPS 730
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme X9770 @ 3.2 GHz
    Memory
    8 GHz Muskin 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GTX 250
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Fatality Champion
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 Dell 2007 WFP
    Screen Resolution
    3360 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Black 1TB Sata, 2 WD Black 500 Sata, 2 500 FreeAgent GO external
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Keyboard
    MS Natural Pro
    Mouse
    Logiteck Cordless Trackman Wheel
    Internet Speed
    DSL
Same here, I just sign in to keep up to date with what's going on and to keep a check on how the forum software is working, especially as I'm using IE9. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/ Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Zoostorm/ Asus K55A Notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2400 MHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn 45CMX/45GMX/45CMX-K
    Memory
    2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM)/8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Corp 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns.G HH221 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    ExcelStor (250GB)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (UK)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Just under 4MB download it's ADSL.
    Other Info
    Epson Stylus SX415 All-in-one Printer,
    Seagate Expansion 500GB External Desktop Drive
Joan,
I've been using 409 not IE9!
409 is a house cleaning liquid so you know I keep a tidy ship!
Just having a little fun today!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium S 64 bit
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUSTek
    Memory
    4 Gb Dual channel DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    512MB GeForce 8500GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w 2408 Vivid Color Widescreen LCD
    Cooling
    Cooling Budweiser now
    Keyboard
    MS intell keyboard
    Mouse
    MS intelli Mouse
    Internet Speed
    US Postal Service
As Windows 8 has not yet been released we can't really help anyone with Windows 8 related issues. This means that it isn't all that fair to rep anyone just because we are here now.

Therefore there is nothing to base badges on - so the admin just give them out if they feel like it.

Basically - Eightforum's current set up is for server/software testing purposes and it is not a fully functional forum yet.

Hope that explains it.

Ahh that makes a lot of sense. :eek:

BTW love the new smiles. :bounce:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel i5 2400 @ 3.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Ashrock P67 Extreme 4
    Memory
    Mushkin Silverline 996768 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 460 760MB Cyclone Overclocked
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus VH202T 20" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 500GB
    PSU
    Silverstone Strider 500W
    Case
    Zalman Z9 Plus
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Keyboard MK520
    Mouse
    Logitech M310
    Internet Speed
    1 Mbps
    Other Info
    UEFI: Ashrock P67/
    Network Card :TP-Link WN350GD/
    ODD: Lite-On IHAS324
Same here, I just sign in to keep up to date with what's going on and to keep a check on how the forum software is working, especially as I'm using IE9. ;)
Yeah, I just joined to find out info about upcoming Win 8. Depending on how much info I find on a regular basis will determine how often I log in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris X Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Samsung U32J59 32 inch monitors, 13.3" display, 12.3" display
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 (Desktop), 1920x1080 (laptop), 2736x1824 Pro 7
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
I sign in every so often just to see what's new, if anything. I don't expect much until Microsoft starts gearing up the milestones and even more when the betas start to roll around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 530 2.93 Ghz Clarkdale
    Motherboard
    ASRock P55 PRO/USB3 LGA 1156
    Memory
    4 GB OCZ DDR3 1600 (PC12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 w/512 MB of Video RAM
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD ALC892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' eMachines E202HDbmd Glare Panel Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Black Edition (7200 RPM) SATA
    Hitachi Deskstar 500 GB (7200 RPM) SATA
    Samsung SpinPoint 400 GB (7200 RPM) SATA
    PSU
    Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Mid-Tower
    Cooling
    Standard Case Fans and Stock CPU Heatsink
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite
    Internet Speed
    7.1 Mbps Verizon DSL
A post is a post. People know about the site. If they want posts, they can join and post.
Don't worry about your postcount, Guy. :)
Most people don't care about your post count anyway.
They care about your character.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Dream Edition 32bit
    HP Pavilion dv4i-2100
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 M 350 @ 2.27 GHz
    Memory
    3GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    14.6" TruBrite HD
    Screen Resolution
    1200 x 800
    Hard Drives
    INTERNAL: Samsung 300GB
    EXTERNAL: ADATA 500GB portable
    Cooling
    Targus AWE19US twin-fan chill mat
    Internet Speed
    300kb/sec @ home, 1028kb/sec @ work
    Other Info
    Selling my laptop with all installed software for $1300 so I can build a new one.
I wonder if I'l get my badges too from SF...
You wont get any badges from SF over here, it's a new forum dealing with a new OS, when it comes out, so you have to earn your reputation from scratch like all of us are having to.:thumbs:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/ Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Zoostorm/ Asus K55A Notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2400 MHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn 45CMX/45GMX/45CMX-K
    Memory
    2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM)/8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Corp 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns.G HH221 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    ExcelStor (250GB)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (UK)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Just under 4MB download it's ADSL.
    Other Info
    Epson Stylus SX415 All-in-one Printer,
    Seagate Expansion 500GB External Desktop Drive
Back