bad block. Event ID 7, Source = Disk, Level = Error

celestialrain

Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I do realize this thread is quite old, but I am still running Windows 8.1 and need help correcting errors on my disk. I have an ASUS laptop. Please let me know if I need to ask my question elsewhere.

Original Problem: I noticed my C drive (under My computer) did not have any color (greyed out).
Action: Tried to open properties and run a scan.
Results: Unable to launch the "properties" GUI screen by right clicking. The menu would appear, but properties would not launch.
Action: Attempted to open the control panel.
Results: None of the icons were visible. There were no categories it was completely blank.
Action: Opened File Explorer
Results: Nothing was visible except 2 folders (Libraries and documents)
Action: I opened the command prompt as administrator and ran sfc /scannow
Results: The color came back to C. Control Panel was normal. I was able to launch properties from C drive and run a scan.

NEXT PHASE

Action: I ran another scan to confirm that all problems were corrected with my prior actions.
Initial Message: "We haven't found any errors on this drive. You can still scan the drive for errors if you want."
Action: I decided to scan the drive anyway.
Message: Error Checking (OS (C)) "Windows can't repair the drive while it in use. To repair now, save and close all open files and restart your computer. You can also schedule the repair the next time your restart your computer."
Action: Closed and saved all files and chose "Restart and repair now."
Results: A dialogue box appeared
Dialogue Box Message: "Microsoft Management Console - Waiting for all snap-ins to complete."
Results: It went through a serious of processes and stopped. I was unable to confirm success.
Action: Reran the same scan
Dialogue Box Message 2: "Windows was unable to scan the drive. Close this dialogue box, and then try to scan the drive again."
Action: Ran scan again
Results: Same message again. "Windows was unable to scan the drive. Close this dialogue box, and then try to scan the drive again."
Action: Opened command prompt as administrator and ran CHKDSK /F /R and rebooted computer to execute the scan.
Results: The system booted and began the scan and repair. It went to about 11% and stopped and returned to the logon screen.
Action: Ran scan from the properties menu again, since I could not tell if the repair was successful from the command prompt, but presumed it was not.
Results: It was not.
Action: Chose the "Show details" option and it launched the Event Viewer.
Action: I selected "system" from the left menu and there were a number of error messages and warnings in the viewer. I selected one and noticed the section of the window below it provided more detail. Under the general tab it said, "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DRO, has a bad block. Event ID 7, Source = Disk, Level = Error, Log Name = System

Action: Ran a system restore hoping it would return the machine back to a healthier state.
Results: The restore was successful, but all of the above stated results, prior to the restore, remain the same.

I have no idea what the error message means exactly, other than what it literally says (there is a bad block on the disk). Is this fixable? Please help.

FYI: I follow directions well and have an aptitude for tech, BUT I am a novice with this.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can offer.
Ny

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security 8
Welcome to the forum if there are bad blocks the drive is on its way out you should backup your data. Go to the maker of the hard drive website they normally have their test software to check the drive ideally get a bootable test. You can not be sure of the drive once it has bad blocks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro
Thank you for your expedient response Samuria. When you say go the "maker" of the hard drive website, what do you mean? Would I go to Asus? I'm not sure who manufacturers the actual hard-drive. Is there a way to determine this? System information only gives me very basic information. Is there a way to determine more specific information on my laptops specs other than using a software tool like Speccy?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security 8
Before you run any hard-drive diagnostics, assume the worst is imminent for your problem hard-drive; strive, today, to make full image backups of the problem hard-drive's every partition onto reliable external media. Usb or dvd boot any backup / restore / clone program, whether free or pay-for, and get those backups made first -- then do any and all hard-drive diagnostics suggested by others here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    i7 in 2 Acers, i5 in desktop
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Laptops GameWorthy; Desktop maybe GameWorthy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    flatscreens; 2 are BluRay worthy
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1TB internals; 2 ext usb WD 1TB HDs
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Regular plus external fans
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    from Netscape 0.9 to FF 36
    Antivirus
    well-balanced, well-configured mult-layered defense is best
    Other Info
    From MS-DOS 3.3, MS-DOS 6.22, from Windows 3.1 to WFW 3.11 to Windows 95-98SE, now to Windows 7 Pro.
    Security for now: Windows 7 Firewall, Emsisoft AM, MSE [scan-only], SpywareBlaster, Ruiware/BillP combine
Its the maker of the hard drive if you goto device manager look at disk drive it will give you a model number it may be clear who made the drive by the model ie Seagate failing that put that model number into google Asus just put bit from other makers in there pcs

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro
Thank you RolandJS for your repsonse. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to begin to capture a "full image backup" of the problem hard-drive's every partition. Is there any credible instruction that I might follow to get this done? Any suggestions? Thank you again for any help that you are able to provide.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security 8
Thank you Samuria. I see that it's Toshiba under Device Manger. Funny thing though... Device Manager says that this device is working properly. How is that so with the System Event logs seemingly reflecting the contrary?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security 8
I was hoping you would tell me you were making routine backups of your stuff long before this situation.

I will be gone most of the day, wife and I have to spend all week packing for a move, I will be in here hit or miss, sporadically, in short, the best I can do:

If you do not have a 2nd computer to make a usb or dvd boot of Macrium Reflect or AOMEI Backupper or EaseUS ToDo or any other similar free or pay-for backup / restore / clone program -- use this computer to make that portable usb or dvd boot. 8GB usb sticks is enough, 4.xGB DVD is enough. The reason I suggested both usb and dvd boot: not every usb or dvd boots the first time, having both means very likely at least one if not both will boot.

You will have to download the program or two of your choice. Since I cannot walk you through this, others here can help along the way. However, there are numerous threads across The 'Net that give step by step instructions on where to get, how download and install, how to make the usb and dvd boot, and some instructions on how to make a full image of any partition and/or whole hard-drive.

One more thing: using your Windows disk management, try to give your "c drive" (your operating system partition), your "data drive" (your data partition) unique names. I named my two partitions S01C and S01D. That way, regardless of the drive letters assigned during any usb or dvd boot, regardless of any "drive letter shuffle", I always know which partition is my OS partition and which partition is my Data partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    i7 in 2 Acers, i5 in desktop
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Laptops GameWorthy; Desktop maybe GameWorthy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    flatscreens; 2 are BluRay worthy
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1TB internals; 2 ext usb WD 1TB HDs
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Regular plus external fans
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    from Netscape 0.9 to FF 36
    Antivirus
    well-balanced, well-configured mult-layered defense is best
    Other Info
    From MS-DOS 3.3, MS-DOS 6.22, from Windows 3.1 to WFW 3.11 to Windows 95-98SE, now to Windows 7 Pro.
    Security for now: Windows 7 Firewall, Emsisoft AM, MSE [scan-only], SpywareBlaster, Ruiware/BillP combine
It's a waste of time doing an image as you can't use it as it would write bad blocks to any other drive. You just need to backup your personal files.
Device manager will show drive OK as most of it is working event is showing the faults for part of drive . It can sometimes be Windows got it wrong that's why the makers test is needed it's specially for your drive

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro
Back