assign default OEM partition for factory reset

smokeyjohnson

I just need to know how to reassign the default factory partition after having set a custom recovery image

I have searched every conceivable possibility of asking this question, and the results have returned nothing useful

I dont want to assign a drive letter or unhide the OEM drive

I just want to unassingn the custom image with the DISM command line

the issue is that the clean install failed to recognize the OEM key in UEFI and I have wasted enough time

I have the right ISO to match the key I retrieved from the UEFI, and I was able to do every other thing that has been reiterated over the last ten years, but with no success

I have no choice but lose all interest in caring about it, and I am surprised that not one person has even mentioned the possibility of simply removing the custom image to reset to the default OEM partition

I have tried the /deregister command but I don't have the blood pressure to keep going;

help me find peace, please

OS = WIN 8.1 PRO x64

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
needless to say your post is all over the place... with that said what are you trying to do ??
remove a custom recovery image - from command prompt(admin) type
reagentc /info
if image is registered then type
reagentc /disable

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
/rant off

initially, I wanted to do a clean install over the OEM spamdump,

so I got the I[BGCOLOR=transparent]SO for win 8.1 pro core, [/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=transparent]I reviewed at least 10 different sources and proceeded to implement [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=transparent]once I got thru the install, windows would not auto verify as per the embedded key, which is valid according to my OS and the ISO[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=transparent]its not bing, or single language, or any other variation that seems to have caused so much despair [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=transparent]I was very thorough and cautious, but in spite of that, the installation simply didn't work [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=transparent]so NOW, all I want to do is.. reassign the OEM partition (hidden) as the goto image for reset[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=transparent]however the process before, required setting the custom recovery to another visible partition, and file priority [/BGCOLOR]

I have read posts on assigning a letter to the hidden partition, to do exactly the same thing I just did

but I would think that it would be an obvious solution to simply remove the reference to the custom image so that the system would just default back to the OEM restore drive, which is what would happen according to the posts

yet not one of the hundred posts I have seen even think of doing exactly that, which is...

removing the /setimage parameters assigned to the custom image index

but I am open to suggestions as to why the OEM embedded key just doesn't validate for any good reason

I appreciate your patience, because I know how fragile patience can be,

thank you

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
so NOW, all I want to do is.. reassign the OEM partition (hidden) as the goto image for reset

we need to find the image and partition - Note the Drive letter Assignment will be temporary..

right click start flag > command prompt(admin)

type> diskpart

type> select disk 0

type> list volume

type> list partition

(post a pic of cmd window)

You will see a lot of volumes without drive letters assigned.. Find the 10-20GB volume number
The following will reset the OEM Factory Recovery Image - used to reset PC back to factory specs.

type> select volume # (# being the volume number without a drive letter)

type> assign letter=R

type> exit (to exit diskpart)

You can now browse thru R and find Install.wim or Install.swm(s) - those are your Factory recovery Images..

type> reagentc /disable

Note: Assuming the install* file(s) are on "R" and in a folder called "RecoveryImage"

Note: Change "drive letter" and "folder name" to suit your system setup

type> Reagentc /Setosimage /Path R:\RecoveryImage /Target C:\Windows /Index 1

type> reagentc /enable

reboot PC

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
didn't work, just keeps booting to the ISO installation.

I tried deleting the xml, copied the winre from the oem recovery, a million other things, bcdedit, etc...

if I copy the path and leave the target blank, it points to the 900mb recovery partition

if I specify drive C, it just bootz the ISO recovery

it WIL NOT boot into the factory install

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
there are two different settings..
One is for Recovery Tools (WinRE.wim)
One for the Factory Image

You would boot into WinRE to Restore the Factory Image...

Not sure what you mean "it just boots into ISO recovery"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
use diskpart to assign the drive letter R
open file explorer and post a screen shot of the files and folders on R

You can now browse thru R and find Install.wim or Install.swm(s) - those are your Factory recovery Images..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB